Casfella47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I'm Lee, 47 from Glasshoughton near Castleford in West Yorkshire, originally from York. I was diagnosed with type 2 back in 2020 and am on oral meds. I'm hoping I may be able to reverse this in time if I stick to doing things right. I'm a non smoker and rarely drink except socially occasionally. I live with my Wife Sarah and our bearded dragon Pepper, play guitar and write poetry, that's me really, looking forward to taking part in the forums, bye for now, take care.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lee, welcome to the forum. As you will find, there is a wealth of information and experience here, and the regulars are a lovely bunch. I was diagnosed with T2 back in 2008, was maxing out on all the oral meds, and in just short two months have been able to start cautiously thinking about words like 'remission'. The group support here has been amazing.

Casfella47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lee, welcome to the forum. As you will find, there is a wealth of information and experience here, and the regulars are a lovely bunch. I was diagnosed with T2 back in 2008, was maxing out on all the oral meds, and in just short two months have been able to start cautiously thinking about words like 'remission'. The group support here has been amazing.
Hi, many thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I've not behaved much food wise since I was diagnosed and was admittedly stubborn with regards to chocolate and sweets aaaargh! I was on and off the meds too but I gave myself a telling off the other day thinking of the health implications. I'm a carer for my Wife who has arthritis, I don't want to become ill and have her look after me in the future so I'm determined to get on the right track. I'm loving this place already and looking forward to participating. Thanks once again for the lovely message.

Casfella47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum @Casfella47 :)

Have a good read round the forum, lots of great members to answer any questions you have, a good place to start is the links in my signature, one of which explains about carbs & their effect on blood sugars
Hi, thank you for the lovely message, I'm definitely on the right track already by joining, I'll good read and get involved. Many thanks

TheSecretCarbAddict

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
... and was admittedly stubborn with regards to chocolate and sweets aaaargh!

Some will say just apply some willpower, I say look into food addiction... I'm like that myself. Once I fall off the wagon I can take a long time to recover... For me, moderation doesn't work when it comes to carbs, only abstinence.

Casfella47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some will say just apply some willpower, I say look into food addiction... I'm like that myself. Once I fall off the wagon I can take a long time to recover... For me, moderation doesn't work when it comes to carbs, only abstinence.
You're absolutely bang on, I've tried the moderation thing loads of times so it's abstinence for me too. Thanks for the great advice, really is appreciated.

Reactions: Gargoyletaz

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome @Casfella47 I visited Glasshoughton for the first time a couple of months ago. The retinal screening was there at the rugby place.

Reactions: Gargoyletaz

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I didn't think I was a carb addict until half an hour ago, I wanted to rip the bag of midget gems hubby treated himself to out of his hands, I walked away :hilarious: