JacChap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lock down
Hello all

I have never posted on the site before but would like some advice please.

I have type 2 diabetes and just been prescribed Metformin. I also have an alarmingly high cholesterol rate of 9.1. I have started a carb free diet but wonder if this is at odds with my cholesterol.

Could any advise whether this is ok to follow.

Thank you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
. I have started a carb free diet but wonder if this is at odds with my cholesterol.

Hi and welcome

No carbs at all? Should work very well for bringing down blood glucose levels.

Do you have any breakdown of your cholesterol numbers, HDL, LDL triglycerides?
There are various ratios that are now seen as more important than the overall "total cholesterol" number.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I went low carb my triglycerides which had been too high just dropped, down a bit more at every test for the first year. All that double cream, eggs and cheese, etc but lower blood fats.
In line with current research - highly processed foods that are both high fat and high sugar are a disaster but good quality fats without all that sugar are not.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol went down after diagnosis.
I was on a high carb 'cholesterol lowering' diet, which was pretty disastrous but I was told constantly that I needed to stick to it - with the inference that I was not.
When diagnosed I went to the butcher and ordered a whole lamb. Used the diet sheets to light the barbecue.
The nurse claimed the lower level as a delayed reaction.
Yeah. Right.

Reactions: JohnSat