new recruit to Type 1 & the DVLA

Suziebabe

I was diagnosed in August after being in hospital having a liver transplant in June. The Consultant told me it was steroid enduced and I might be lucky and once off the steroids it could go away.
I started on 14 units 3 times a day, and last week 4 units 3 times a day. Eating a jam doughnut, or not seemed to make no difference. I was taken off the steroids 3 weeks ago. So this week I decided to stop my insulin, it is still 4.6 at breakfast and 5.7 at dinner. When I was diagnosed it was 22 and 24 during the daytime.

I had informed DVLA last week, and today they wrote and said, return your licence, and then you can re apply every three years!!
Hell, my doctor said they would not do anything if I told them, well they have!
So now I am going to write and say I am not on insulin.
I am 66 years old now, and being diagnosed as needing a liver was hard enough to come to terms with, and I felt being a type 1 was just as difficult.

I wish everyone lots of luck in dealing with theirs.

SAH154

Suziebabe said:
So now I am going to write and say I am not on insulin.
I am 66 years old now, and being diagnosed as needing a liver was hard enough to come to terms with, and I felt being a type 1 was just as difficult.

I wish everyone lots of luck in dealing with theirs.

Good luck with the DVLA I stopped insulin Jan 2012 I reapplied for my licence in Oct 2012 and I'm still waiting it. I don't think they understand you can cease insulin injections in certain cases.

Were/are you taking Tacrolimus? If it's too high dose it affects the insulin production of the pancreas and IIRC also interferes with the insulin as well