New to all this

Y

young tim

As a 55 year old, fit the correct weight, no traumas recent illness or any thing odd. Why did I lose 2stone in 3 weeks, suffer a DKA and then be diagnosed as type 1. No known family history it just came out of the blue. Bizarre. Great professionals in Plymouth who know there stuff and help loads with all my daft queries.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What you have will be Late Onset Type 1 (also called LADA or Type 1.5). Many will say you only get this when you're young but that isn't true. I probably have LADA, not my diagnosis of Type 2, and that was when I was 60 when I suddenly lost weight and had never been overweight either. Often this can come out of the blue with no family history or reason. Mostly it seems to be genetic but can be caused by a virus etc. I assume you are now on insulin as I am. Do watch the carbs so you can keep the insulin units sensibly low. Ask any more questions you may have. The Type 1 and Type 1.5/LADA forums are best for specific questions relevant to those types.

Diabetic Krissy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, horrible, stuck up people.
I was the same (Apart from age, I'm 23) but I was healthly then lost a lot of weight and DKA (Went into a coma) I now have type 1, no one else in my family has it.

Also, no query is daft!! :) Hope you are doing okay!

Y

young tim

Well, 4 years down the line and am going on an animas vibe from this Monday. dummy running for this week using saline and "go live" on insulin Monday morning. As a none bra wearer am struggling to find a good place for the pump, any bright ideas, trousers pocket proved painful in the loo!!. Really looking forward to getting my head around it all. Hopefully this should help with my levels which have been interesting?