New to forum and just found out I'm pregnant!

Jessakirby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone

I am brand new to this forum, I am a type 1 and have been diagnosed for 8 years. I'm 27 and found out last week that I am pregnant. I am thrilled and have been trying for a while as I also suffer with PCOS but since I found out I have been worrying so much that a few high readings I have had may have caused congenital abnormalities. My Hba1c at last check was 6.8 so not terrible but just feel a bit alone as not seen a consultant yet about my pregnancy. Sorry if I've just tagged onto someone's post but have no idea how to start a new one. Would be lovely to hear from others who get it! Jess x

Reactions: deborabaratto

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Jessakirby :) And congratulations! :)

Your worries are completely normal, but rest assured that no Type 1 has perfect sugars 100% of the time. I had some high sugars and had a healthy baby :)

Have you got an appointment with your team? Are you taking the special high dose folic acid?

Tagging @Pilzy-89 for you as she's one of a number of pregnant ladies here. @Pilzy-89 if you can tag any other ladies who you know are pregnant, that would be nice :)

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello congratulations on the pregnancy! How far along are you?

I am also 27 years old and currently 28 weeks pregnant today, just reached 3rd trimester (yay). As you may have read in the other thread I am struggling with the high sugars at the moment. At the start of my pregnancy I had good control (which included sugars of 13 at times, my highest was 16 when a set failed) but "perfect" control just doesn't exist, so don't beat yourself up about the occasional high sugar. Just correct and get them down as soon as you can, having the odd high sugar isn't likely to cause issues, it would be more of a constant high sugar that could lead to issues (from what I have been told). Have you got an appointment set up with a midwife and consultant anytime soon? Have you been in pre-preg clinic at all? (Sorry so many questions)

Rachel xx

A few other ladies who I speak to (hope you gals don't mind me tagging you )

@hboyt @wannabemammy

Reactions: azure
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome @Jessakirby and congratulations on your wonderful news, enjoy your pregnancy, there are alot of helpful and supportive members on here, so you aren't alone, take care x

Last edited:

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I am brand new to this forum, I am a type 1 and have been diagnosed for 8 years. I'm 27 and found out last week that I am pregnant. I am thrilled and have been trying for a while as I also suffer with PCOS but since I found out I have been worrying so much that a few high readings I have had may have caused congenital abnormalities. My Hba1c at last check was 6.8 so not terrible but just feel a bit alone as not seen a consultant yet about my pregnancy. Sorry if I've just tagged onto someone's post but have no idea how to start a new one. Would be lovely to hear from others who get it! Jess x
Congratulations!

Reactions: deebie_newbie

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Congratulations @Jessakirby!! I've had Type 1 for 20 years and pregnant with my first, 10 weeks. At my appointment last week I went over my blood readings with my DSN and mentioned when I hit a high like 13 or 16 I freak out! She assured me it will happen (sometimes for no reason) and as long as it dosent stay high over a long period then its ok. Normally i get them down within a couple hours. Also if you call your diabetes team to tell them you are pregnant they should fast forward you an appointment to get with the new team. I got mine within 3 days.
This forum is amazing for times you just need a little assurance and you always find someone else that has gone thru something similar.
I hope this helps, all the best on your exciting journey! :)