New to insulin - no change in glucose levels

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.
Hi to everyone. Just started with humulus insulin pen 6g once a day. My glucose levels have been running high for a while so it was an inescapable decision really. I'm 70 a thin type 2 for around 15 years. Diet and exercise generally sensible and low carb and I don't have a sweet tooth. However some type 2 diabetics loose there pancreatic eyelets earlier, so the nurse has told me. Also she said that in this country we start insulin treatment too late a lot of the time. Only been on the insulin a few days. So far it's not made any difference to levels. Just wondering how long it might take to see any difference. Also considering buying a CGM as driving is currently a nightmare. Does anyone use one of these and if so are they an improvement?

• Hug
Reactions: filly

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@onnecar , I assume you are on 6 units of insulin rather than 6g. I think 1 unit is 0.01ml so 6g would be a few syringes (or pens) full of insulin.
This is quite a low dose unless the insulin you are using a double strength insulin.
Typically, we are started on a low dose to avoid immediate hypos. This is then gradually adjusted as your nurse sees the effect (or lack of) it is having.

Reactions: brianb

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes 6 units, couldn't remember what measurement it was. Yes I realise that is the reason. My levels are quite high though, so will be glad to get them down. I was getting a lot of urine infections and became quite ill with them so don't want them to return. She is ringing me tomorrow. I'm hoping she'll tell me to dial it up a fraction. I was just wondering how long it usually takes to get levels more under control. It's the green top humulin pen I'm on. That must be a popular one right now as my brother is on humulin but the brown top one. I am also wondering if any one has any comments on continuous glucose monitors as I think I'd like to invest in one.

Genie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi there, I have a CGM, the Libre 2, and I find it invaluable. It lets me know exactly what my sugar is doing at any time of the day, and I can work out what foods really make my sugars spike, some foods are a surprise and others not. They are expensive, as I have to buy them myself, works out at about £96 for two sensors, that covers me for about a month, but I think it's worth it. Good luck with the Insulin, keep at it and you'll get there.

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may take a week or two to get the dose something close to optimum, but unfortunately it is not constant - so some adjustment will be needed for weather, exercise etc. The idea will be to approach optimum without overshooting and having hypos.

You may find a CGM works well for you but in any case I'd suggest you start with blood glucose measurement by finger prick to start with. I'd also use finger prick for treating hypos - you should carry some fast acting carbs for treating hypos ...
If you are driving you need to let the DVLA know ... the license with be changed for one which is issued every couple of years.

You can ask about getting a CGM since you are on insulin ... not sure what the NHS guidance is on that ... it changed fairly recently

Reactions: brianb

Genie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi, I am a Type 2 on Insulin, my surgery has said they can't supply to type 2 only type 1, maybe in a few years time??????

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi there, I have a CGM, the Libre 2, and I find it invaluable. It lets me know exactly what my sugar is doing at any time of the day, and I can work out what foods really make my sugars spike, some foods are a surprise and others not. They are expensive, as I have to buy them myself, works out at about £96 for two sensors, that covers me for about a month, but I think it's worth it. Good luck with the Insulin, keep at it and you'll get there.
Thanks for replying. I also have to pay. I've only been using it a matter of days and already find it beneficial as it really interfered with my driving amongst other things. Does yours stay on okay, as that is my only worry. So far mine hasn't fallen off, but I've heard cases of where they have. That would then make it an even greater expense as you can't just stick them back on.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replying. I also have to pay. I've only been using it a matter of days and already find it beneficial as it really interfered with my driving amongst other things. Does yours stay on okay, as that is my only worry. So far mine hasn't fallen off, but I've heard cases of where they have. That would then make it an even greater expense as you can't just stick them back on.
If the Libre falls off early, call customer services and they will replace it free of charge.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and onnecar

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It may take a week or two to get the dose something close to optimum, but unfortunately it is not constant - so some adjustment will be needed for weather, exercise etc. The idea will be to approach optimum without overshooting and having hypos.

You may find a CGM works well for you but in any case I'd suggest you start with blood glucose measurement by finger prick to start with. I'd also use finger prick for treating hypos - you should carry some fast acting carbs for treating hypos ...
If you are driving you need to let the DVLA know ... the license with be changed for one which is issued every couple of years.

You can ask about getting a CGM since you are on insulin ... not sure what the NHS guidance is on that ... it changed fairly recently
Thank you for replying. I already know all the DVLA stuff and have notified them immediately. I'm over 70 anyway so have to renew my licence every 3 years. I also know about hypos and always carry glucose sweets and have the ICE in case of emergency app on my smart phone. Although I'm not going anywhere near low enough at the moment to have a hypo. That is another reason I like the CGM as if I'm going low I can check easily. I lead a busy life so need to feel able to get in my car and travel at will without hitches. I'm interested to know if people have any issues with the CGM. For example I'm thinking of going swimming with my sister. Is it likely to fall off? Is it worth using an over plaster? I actually think my levels are starting to improve. Type 2 diabetics are for the most part not eligible for a free CGM although that may change in the future. Has anyone used more than one CGM for comparison? My main reason for trialling the Libre was having to test every 2 hours when driving. I have been having to drive my elderly mother to hospital as she had a fall. Nothing worse than having to test your bloods in the car with an injured elderly passenger next to you. It makes a stressful situation even more stressful. My glucose levels soared with the stress of all that. The CGM has been a saving grace so far. Only wish it were cheaper and available in the shops as opposed to on line.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If the Libre falls off early, call customer services and they will replace it free of charge.
That is good if that is the case. Is that the case even if you are not receiving them free? I cannot see anything about this on the website. That would certainly be less of a worry financially that's for sure.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is good if that is the case. Is that the case even if you are not receiving them free? I cannot see anything about this on the website. That would certainly be less of a worry financially that's for sure.
Yes. I self fund and have had several replaced free of charge after they fell off early.

finzi1966

Yes they’re very good about replacing them (for falling off or even for just when you get a dodgy one that’s inaccurate- happens occasionally).

I generally buy online because it’s easier but if you want one in a hurry, bigger Asda pharmacies sell them, I’ve bought from there a couple of times.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes they’re very good about replacing them (for falling off or even for just when you get a dodgy one that’s inaccurate- happens occasionally).

I generally buy online because it’s easier but if you want one in a hurry, bigger Asda pharmacies sell them, I’ve bought from there a couple of times.
We have an Asda here, but it's not huge, although it is large. I will check it out. With postal strikes etc, might be worth knowing. I have ordered 2 more as I like the idea of always having a spare. Have you ever had to use an over plaster? Wondering if it will stay on if I go swimming?

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My main reason for trialling the Libre was having to test every 2 hours when driving. I have been having to drive my elderly mother to hospital as she had a fall. Nothing worse than having to test your bloods in the car with an injured elderly passenger next to you. It makes a stressful situation even more stressful. My glucose levels soared with the stress of all that. The CGM has been a saving grace so far. Only wish it were cheaper and available in the shops as opposed to on line.
No harm in explaining your case and see if they will fund.
You could try an arm band to keep the sensor on while swimming - have not tried swimming yet but have used an arm band when wearing a sensor to make sure I did not knock it off ...

Reactions: onnecar

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I will ask the question. However I think it's unlikely with my cash-strapped surgery. I can foresee the guidelines changing in the future though and the technology. It's still in it's infancy at the moment.

Reactions: EllieM

sooty15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have trouble with the Libre sensors falling off try using a sensor cover, there are plenty available, just make sure they are compatible with Libre. They are very sticky and I have never had a sensor come adrift whilst wearing a cover, they are also waterproof.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes we have been having lots of discussions about appropriate cover patches on this forum. I haven't had one fall off yet but wanted to be ready if they did as I'm self-funding and you can't just stick them back on. I also want to go swimming. The patches apparantly can give you a lot more time than 30 mins. So there is useful info being passed on by a number of people. What I wanted was recommendations and posts saying if the patches actually work. I do have some that I bought but haven't tried them yet. I will test it out first when the sensor finishes so I'm not jeopordising a brand new sensor. I have also bought an armband to try.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes we have been having lots of discussions about appropriate cover patches on this forum. I haven't had one fall off yet but wanted to be ready if they did as I'm self-funding and you can't just stick them back on. I also want to go swimming. The patches apparantly can give you a lot more time than 30 mins. So there is useful info being passed on by a number of people. What I wanted was recommendations and posts saying if the patches actually work. I do have some that I bought but haven't tried them yet. I will test it out first when the sensor finishes so I'm not jeopordising a brand new sensor. I have also bought an armband to try.
Over patches do work, sometimes swim for 90 minutes, I did have an armband with a moulded ring to fit around the sensor, put it on a radiator to dry & it distorted it,
Wearing a patch most of the time now it’s getting colder, don’t have to think about taking jumpers off

Reactions: onnecar

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Over patches do work, sometimes swim for 90 minutes, I did have an armband with a moulded ring to fit around the sensor, put it on a radiator to dry & it distorted it,
Wearing a patch most of the time now it’s getting colder, don’t have to think about taking jumpers off
I never thought of that with the armbands. Sounds like the one I ordered from Etsy, that has a moulded ring that fits over the sensor. I suppose they are going to get quite wet, thinking about it. If the patches work, will maybe keep that as a back up but won't dry it on a radiator lol.