New to insulin type 2 diabetes

AEW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been told you can only get a CGM as a type 2 if you test 8 times a day and inject at lease twice a day. At present I have been told to test 4 times a day and inject only one at night a lslow acting insulin
I’ve just trialled a cgm because my nurse told me I needed to take insulin. You learn so much about your blood sugars and can adjust your intake of carbs accordingly. As a result I now don’t need insulin. However it’s so ironic…. now I don’t need insulin I have to pay for them at £50 every 2 weeks and I don’t think I’ll be able to afford £100 per month. I hope I don’t slip back into bad habits!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The way I read it, you only need to tell the DVLA if you're on insulin for more than 3 months. I have a feeling, following recent test results, that I'm about to be put on insulin. I'm planning to accept provided I can come off it before the three months is up and then go on to my normal meds for a couple of weeks before going back on the insulin. That way the busybodies at the DVLA have no need to know!
That's not how it works you have to tell them straight away and your insurance. If you have an accident while on insulin and you haven't informed you insurance you'll be treated as uninsured. If you fail to tell dvla you'll be treated as being unlicensed. It's straightforward, you tell them that you're type 2 and on insulin they send you a 3 year licence after 3 years you fill the form again. If you don't need insulin after a period of time then you inform them you're no longer on insulin. Been diabetic 35 years and driving for 29 of them on a 3 year licence without any problems.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just advice them that you are now taking insulin and what you do is take your blood sugars before you drive as you drive and after you drive as I know because I used to drive emergency vehicles during the night and that's what I was advised to do because they wanted me to check my sugars as much as I can while driving and that's to make sure that my sugars don't drop while driving and that I don't have any episodes when I'm behind the wheel and I never did but that's what they ask for and it's registered on your license and om file but make sure that you tell them because if they find out by someone else it will be worse again for you

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm type 2 and have to use insulin. I have told the DVLA you have to apply for a new driving licence and they tell you to make sure that when you are going to drive to do your blood sugar test and make sure its not low
Yor blood sugars have to be above 5 to be considered safe to drive as per dvla rules if you fall below but not in the hypo zone you need to stop and have a snack without using insulin. Wait until you're up to 5 before resuming driving. In the hypo zone you must wait 45 minute even if your bg has risen significantly. On long journeys you must stop every 2 hrs for at least 1/2 hour.

Reactions: filly
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve just trialled a cgm because my nurse told me I needed to take insulin. You learn so much about your blood sugars and can adjust your intake of carbs accordingly. As a result I now don’t need insulin. However it’s so ironic…. now I don’t need insulin I have to pay for them at £50 every 2 weeks and I don’t think I’ll be able to afford £100 per month. I hope I don’t slip back into bad habits!
I've been on cgm for 4 years and it's amazing how you can see how your bg are doing without the need to finger prick. I was on libre2 and have just switched over to Dexcom which is even better I'm also going onto omnipod5 so it'll be like having my pancreas working once more. The other good thing is I've got an app on my phone that sends my bg to my smart watch so I can see at a glance what my bg is doing.

Blanchoid

Myself also, I've only been on insulin for a couple of months (my husband is T1 tho so I'm very familiar), and I asked my Diabetic Nurse about a CGM (up to now I got a trial one, and bought a couple myself but I can't afford to do that regularly) but I've been told I'm not eligible for a CGM on the NHS unless I inject two types of insulin.
Tell you doctor to check the NICE guidelines! they are talking a load of rubbish, in other words they do not want to pay for what you are legally entitled to!

The guidelines say that ALL Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics are now entitled to FREE CGM on the NHS! If they want them!

If they still reject you email someone at Diabetes UK they should be able to help you!

I didn't want one originally but was forced onto one by my DSN, now I don't have the pain of fingerpricks each time I need to check by blood glucose!

Blanchoid

I've been on cgm for 4 years and it's amazing how you can see how your bg are doing without the need to finger prick. I was on libre2 and have just switched over to Dexcom which is even better I'm also going onto omnipod5 so it'll be like having my pancreas working once more. The other good thing is I've got an app on my phone that sends my bg to my smart watch so I can see at a glance what my bg is doing.
I too, was on a Libre 2 and switched to Dexcom, but had to switch back because the new version of Android wasn't supported.

I preferred the Libre as is smaller, takes less time (1 hour) to warm up and lasts two weeks.
The Dexcom is bulkier, takes 2 hours to warm up and lasts 10 days.

I didn't really have a preference all I wanted one that worked, but still favour the Libre for the reason above!

Blanchoid

It isn't the renewal every three years that is the problem... It is actually getting your license back of f the DVLA.

They had mine for three months after it had expired, and I had forgotten about it and had to ring them.

I asked the dude why it had taken so long, and he blamed Covid even though lockdowns had stopped 12 months earlier.

He found it within three seconds and said he would get it out to me tomorrow.

If he could find it that quick, why wasn't it already sent??

AND why is the DVLA in another country (Wales) where the regulations according to Covid are different??? We need a DVLA in THIS country!!!

FruityLoops

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Tell you doctor to check the NICE guidelines! they are talking a load of rubbish, in other words they do not want to pay for what you are legally entitled to!

The guidelines say that ALL Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics are now entitled to FREE CGM on the NHS! If they want them!

If they still reject you email someone at Diabetes UK they should be able to help you!

I didn't want one originally but was forced onto one by my DSN, now I don't have the pain of fingerpricks each time I need to check by blood glucose!

From what I see, the NICE guidelines (statement 3) say that it's available if you have multiple daily injections.

I only currently have one daily injection of slow acting insulin (tho I'm still increasing it and haven't got near 'normal' range yet - started on 10 units, on 34 now) so presumably I'm not eligible like my nurse said? My mistake was thinking that she meant that you had to be on 2 types of insulin jab daily, whereas it's actually 2 literal injections daily.

That said my Diabetic Nurse suspects that I might have to go on fast acting too so it might be a moot point anyways for me soon!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It isn't the renewal every three years that is the problem... It is actually getting your license back of f the DVLA.

They had mine for three months after it had expired, and I had forgotten about it and had to ring them.
Do you have other reasons apart from taking insulin to need a license renewed every three years?
For me, the only reason for my shorter license is, as someone with Type 1 diabetes,. I have to take insulin. I maintain my hypo awareness, reapply online and get a replacement within a week.
I have never had to ring or chase the DVLA.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

This is not the case.
Firstly, it is a guideline not a legal requirement
Secondly, it is definitely not everyone with diabetes - they must take insulin and, for type 2, there are (sadly) other caveats such as needing assistance from care providers.

And nothing in the NHS is free. As a tax payer, I am very aware that it has to be funded. I may not have to pay at the time I pick up my prescription but that does not mean it is free.
You may think I am being pedantic. However, it seems that people treat things very differently when they consider them to be free.

Leolady19

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am new to this insulin injection and start my first injection later today when I get the needles from the chemist. My wife is disabled and we need the car for her many appointments. I know I have to ring the DVLA but I am worried I am going to loose my licence. Please can anyone tell me if there is anything that will help me to not loose it. Thank you.
Ive not long been on insulin since Nov 23. I notified DVLA i had my licence back but have to re new every 3 years you won't lose it. But you can't drive if your bloods are low than 5.9.so you have to regular check it.

Pinkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am new to this insulin injection and start my first injection later today when I get the needles from the chemist. My wife is disabled and we need the car for her many appointments. I know I have to ring the DVLA but I am worried I am going to loose my licence. Please can anyone tell me if there is anything that will help me to not loose it. Thank you.
Hi. Don’t worry.
you need to inform DVLA and your motor insurer.
DVLA will send you a form to fill in to enable you to obtain a restricted licence (Restricted in terms of the time before you need to renew it - usually three years - not what you can drive). This is simply to ensure that you remain fit and healthy whilst driving.
DVLA will check with your doctor on application, but unless you have some serious complications this shouldn’t be a problem.
the only problem I had was that I had to apply for a new photo licence, having an old paper one being under seventy.
the process is straightforward (and free), but it took a couple of months to complete.
i understand that the renewal of a photo licence can be done on line, which is much quicker.
you can continue to drive whilst your licence is being renewed.
best wishes.

adnyl78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)