New to Low Carb diet

gillyflower

I have only just started on the low carb approach and I think it is working. As I have said on previous posts - I lost control of my condition - big time. Finally I ended up in hospital with BG levels off the scale. Was put on max dosage of Metformin and Glicazide - but still got BG readings of 30 +.

3 days ago after reading your posts I decided to try a low carb diet - and it seems to be working. This morning my reading was 16.3 - the lowest it has been for weeks. I just want to thank everyone in the forum for their posts - and hope you will keep updating the forum - especially with new recipes :D
Gill

sparkles

Hi Gillyflower,
I'm glad the low carb approach appears to be working for you too.

I agree when you say you hope people will keep updating the recipes. I have been trawling on line as I really want to have a recipe for every day and every occassion. Sometimes the recipe I find isnt low carb but I can see it could be easily adapted. I wished there were more recipes ideas on this forum when I first checked them as having new exiting recipes to try adds a bit of fun to the dieting.

SPARKLES

gillyflower

Hi Sparkles
Once I am a bit more up on carb counting - I'll submit a few recipes. I love cooking especially vegetarian and Indian food.

One idea that has struck me is a method of thickening without flour or cornflour. When I make an indian meal I blend a chopped onion with a couple of gloves of garlic and an inch or so of fresh ginger then fry it in hot oil - its the basis for many indian recipes and thickens a curry beautifully. Just thinking it might be a good way of thickening other types of dishes.

Also working on a alternative for savoury pancakes using ground oatmeal instead of flour.
Happy cooking
Gillyflower

sparkles

Hi Gillyflower,

How is it going? I'm looking forward to these new recipes... I have one to add.. for a chocolate cake made with beetroot of all things. It is very moist and yummy. But its not a low carb one as far as I know so I will have to adapt it possibly.

Also does anyone out there know if Tamari is a better substitue for soy sauce? I think the soy sauce has a lot of sugar in it? Am i right? But I think the tamari doesn't -although it is fermented.. so must have some? Can anyone enlighten....
sparkles.

jahusba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
having to cut carbs
Hi Sparkles,

Plain unsweetened soy sauce such as Kikkoman,from Supermarkets, is carb free.

Jane :)

ExCakeLover

I'm so glad I've found this forum. :D I've been T2 for just over 4 years now. I lost all my weight, from 13st 5lb to 9st 10lb, (height 5ft 7in) within the first year of being diagnosed. Went on anti-depressants after weight loss and ended up piling it all back on again. Cholesterol fairly high and HbA1c is 7.2 for past 7 months. Also had antibiotics 7 months ago and have had terrible diarrohea every day (with little or no warning when it is about to happen). GP has changed me to slow release metformin which seems to be working. DSN and G.P. advised me to have apptmt with NHS dietitian again. Had appointment this week. Given the same leaflet as before, some 4 years ago, telling me to still eat wholemeal bread, my usual Weetabix for breakfast, brown rice with evening meal (or potatoes, pasta), plus the usual snacks inbetween meals. I asked about fruit (esp. summer months I'm loving the sweet berries at the moment), and advised I can have a the usual 10 raspberries and strawberries a few times a day, plus my usual 2 bananas when I feel my energy flagging. Mainly advised to cut back on saturated fats, but still have good oils (fats) and exercise more.

I can honestly say I'm at my wits end and going round in circles. The person I talk to is my wonderful 80 year old Mum, who has been a T2 for 22 years. She still is on diet and takes slow release Metformin and has good control of her B.G.'s, cholesterol, correct weight, no ulcerations, good feet, eyesight, etc. She had one of her kidney's damaged by measles at 10 years old and has to be careful. Her remaining kidney is functioning perfectly. She told me 4 years ago to cut out all sugar as much as possible and ignore what the dietitians tell you as it's not true. She is an example to the fact that eating very low carbs controls her B.G. levels. I am definitely going to learn about the Low Carb diet from this forum to get my b.g. lowered and get my weight down. Any advice and support would be most welcome.

Kathy

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Kathy and welcome to the forum :) The advice I would give you is to listen to your Mum - she seems to be doing everything right.

Here is some information we give to new members even if not newly diagnosed - I'm sure you will find it useful.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

ExCakeLover

Thanks daisy1 for giving me the thread to follow for new members. I'm looking forward to learning so much more about controlling my Diabetes and also being to read and share members' stories.

Kathy

BeccaJaneStClair

Hi everyone, as I posted in the newly diagnosed thread, I was only diagnosed last week with Type 2, and haven't yet had my appointment with the nurse, but I already knew I needed to lose weight, and my regular GP thinks If I drop 2 stone by August, I can continue to try for a baby wit hmy husband.

So...low-carb it is.

And I'm confused.

I have no idea how many carbs I should eat each day, I have no idea whow many carbs I had previously been eating, either.

Would keeping a food diary for a week be a good idea?

Grazer

Hi again! If you look back at your first post, "very very newly diagnosed", you'll see I gave you a message about how many carbs, and how to measure them etc