New to this and don't have a clue.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well im a type 1 and my partners a type 2 we eat everything you have written and a few more takeaways , my diabetic nurse said eat what you want but smaller potions

Has your partner ever tested to find out what his levels are after the food he eats? You can cover it with insulin, he can’t.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Change your diet look for LCHF or Keto diets, in 13 weeks in and I've gone from 11-12 BG readings to 6-7 daily averages I should be on 4 Metformin tablets a day but only taking one and I hope to stop that soon.. I've been watching these videos by DrKenDBerry MD

Hugs xx

I am following the LCHF lifestyle (Keto) and it's working very well. Lost lots of weight, A1C is down to 'normal' levels, bad chol down, good chol up and things are going great. I gave up Metformin very early on because I didn't like it. Now I follow this lifestyle along with walking the dog and using my exercise bike. My diabetic educator is impressed so she told me last week and I feel great.

Spotted_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome aboard,

Those readings are high and not desirable. It looks like your diet needs an overhaul. :arghh:

You are already learning from your meter that certain foods are not wise choices for T2 diabetics, such as potatoes and fruit.
If you organise yourself properly with your testing, you will learn a lot more. Test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Keep a food diary including all ingredients and portion sizes and record your before and after levels alongside. Look at the amount of rise from before to after - that is the important figure initially. It needs to be under 2mmol/l and preferably less. If it is more than 2mmol/l there are too many carbs in that meal which need reducing in portion size or eliminating. This is called eating to your meter, and will help you enormously.

Have a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist for some idea on the types of food to eat to bring your levels down and keep them down. It also lists foods to avoid, and there are some recipes.

Tagging @daisy1 who will come along and post some very useful information. Meanwhile have a good read round and ask as many questions as you like.

Spotted_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome aboard,

Those readings are high and not desirable. It looks like your diet needs an overhaul. :arghh:

You are already learning from your meter that certain foods are not wise choices for T2 diabetics, such as potatoes and fruit.
If you organise yourself properly with your testing, you will learn a lot more. Test before you eat and again 2 hours after first bite. Keep a food diary including all ingredients and portion sizes and record your before and after levels alongside. Look at the amount of rise from before to after - that is the important figure initially. It needs to be under 2mmol/l and preferably less. If it is more than 2mmol/l there are too many carbs in that meal which need reducing in portion size or eliminating. This is called eating to your meter, and will help you enormously.

Have a look at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods#foodlist for some idea on the types of food to eat to bring your levels down and keep them down. It also lists foods to avoid, and there are some recipes.

Tagging @daisy1 who will come along and post some very useful information. Meanwhile have a good read round and ask as many questions as you like.

Spotted_dog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi and welcome aboard,