New to this and very unsure

Coops65

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi all
I was told 11 days ago that im prediabetic and needed to do the LCHF way of eating. The nurse told me i would lose the weight i was carrying. I thought ok but im 5 days into it and the thought of eating all that fat when for the last 30 years everything has been low fat scares me. I dont want to put weight on.
How do you get your head round whats the right amount of fat? I have noticed that im not eating between meals a such . Im sick of meat eggs salad veg already how am i supposed to make this a way of life. I miss you fruit ( use to eat at least 5 pieces a day) How do i make sure im getting enough fibre. I am also struggling with meal ideas. Any advice and suggestion to help me through would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Coops65, and welcome to the forum. Hang on in there, it will all come good in the end, and you'll get plenty of help from people here along the way. The link that @mist has given above is a good place to start - there are recipe ideas and a free 10 week getting started course for T2s. It says T2s but everyone is encouraged to join it & it can help quite a lot in the early days.

There are also lots of good recipes and food ideas here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds
and in the food, recipes & diet section of the main home page (just go to the top of any poage, click on 'Home' tab, and scroll across to the Food & Recipes section).

Cheers, and good luck

edit: correction to the section name

Reactions: callyandy

Rucky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi
I'm in the same boat totally confused about what to eat but working my way through this forum good luck x

Reactions: callyandy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I was told 11 days ago that im prediabetic and needed to do the LCHF way of eating. The nurse told me i would lose the weight i was carrying. I thought ok but im 5 days into it and the thought of eating all that fat when for the last 30 years everything has been low fat scares me. I dont want to put weight on.
How do you get your head round whats the right amount of fat? I have noticed that im not eating between meals a such . Im sick of meat eggs salad veg already how am i supposed to make this a way of life. I miss you fruit ( use to eat at least 5 pieces a day) How do i make sure im getting enough fibre. I am also struggling with meal ideas. Any advice and suggestion to help me through would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
You have answered your own question in what you wrote..
You have eaten low-fat for 30 years and have ended up overweight with pre-diabetes. Like many of us, me included, we fell for the lie that low-fat was good for us and that fat was the enemy. Unfortunately that now is being shown to be utter ****.
So cut out the carbs that made you ill and up your fats until you feel full and then stop eating. That's the great thing about fats.. they fill you up so you don't get hungry. Also you don't have to eat half a pound of butter for lunch to raise your fats just put a knob on some nice green veggies and melt it over a steak. What could be nicer?
Have a read here
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
where there is lots of advice. As well as of course around the forum.
Try here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/
to see how well you can do with this way of eating.
Good luck and enjoy eating great tasting food while loosing weight.
Regards
Mark

Coops65

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks everyone, I have just got to get on with it! I will look at all the links you have shared and if I have any question will ask on here. :happy:

Reactions: KezG and Salvia

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is plenty of fibre in non-starchy veggies. You can eat as much of those (raw or cooked) as you like because they're so low carb.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are no rules that say you have to eat a lot of saturated fat. Plenty like me do not like to much saturated fat. We just have eggs, good oils, nuts and avocados and have moderated the amount of starchy carbs we eat and still maintain good BG levels

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are finding it hard to accept that fat is good for you after all the years of being told low fat was where it's at (I was sceptical too at first!) then I highly recommend the book Eat Fat Get Thin by Dr Mark Hyman. It is a fairly easy read but goes in to great depth on how we got to the demonisation of fat and about the different types of fat and which ones are good for you and which aren't (just avoid trans fat - i.e hydrogenated fat and hydrogenated vegetable oils as these are dangerous fats). It explains why vegetable oils aren't as good for you as has been claimed (due to excess of Omega 6 over Omega 3) and why grass-fed butter is good.
I now use grass fed butter and virgin coconut oil for cooking and olive oil for salads etc.
you can get plenty of soluble fibre from vegetables (not-startchyones) so plate of veggies smothered in delicious butter is ideal and you can add any protein you like. simply leave out the carbs you used to eat (which ware usually just 'filler' anyway) and you will fin d the increased fat content stops you feeling hungry and the lack of carbs stops you wanting more carbs so it gets easier and easier.
Also look at dietdoctor.com website (no need to sign up to anything and all the info is free) and take a look at the low carb challenge and the many links to low carb recipes as well as to the scientific research to back it all up.
Going low carb high fat made me lose over 8 kg without really trying (I wasn't classed as overweight to start with ) and without ever being hungry and my son lost over two stone in about 6 months so don't feat the fat. It's the carbs that turn to fat in the body and the carbs that increase the 'bad' cholesterol etc.
Oh and for the most delicious veg - just sauté anything (courgette, mushroom ,kale , peppers, aubergine whatever you like) in coconut oil or butter and then add in a dollop of creme fraiche, a little mustard (I use Dijon mustard) and a sprinkle of periperi flakes (if you like a bit of heat in your food). I never liked veg much before, nor mustard or coconut but this combo is fab!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I manage some fruit by having it with cream to slow the digestion/absorption process. I typically have about 8 raspberries, 2 dessert sp Muller Lite yoghurt and 3 dessert sp double cream and it's lovely. I've just had bloods taken so await the results. I'll be interested to see what my cholestrol is!!! It will be the first time I've had results since LCHF, although I had cut out a lot of carbs prior to that, losing 2.6 stone in just under a year.

I have a very sweet tooth, love bread, potatoes, pasta and, to some extent, rice, pastries etc so am surprised I've managed to cut them all out. Occasionally, I'll treat myself but it's the fruit and cream that has saved the day :) I've never managed to diet before so this is all brilliant to me. Needless to say, blood glucose levels are well down too now :)

no1dukeuk

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Just learning about this topic after glucose intolerance advice. I also have early stages of neuropathy. I have been surprised at this posifion having trained 3x a week for over 30yrs, retained average weight for 6ft 5 ins and followed in my opinion (soon to be changed by you guys probably) a sensible diet with fish, chicken, salads and watching sugar content although not completely when out for a meal. Ceased red meat other than very occasional steak some years ago. At 73 yrs I am very active and fit but as my father contracted type 1 diabetes when in late 60's I have to be watchful.
I am now following the 10 week lcd with intention of including some of the ideas gradually & pleased to hear from anybody in similar position either now or previously who has beneficial advice to offer. Thank you.

amalia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
It has worked for me too. I found at first it was difficult to give up chocolate and bread, rice, potatos, pasta but after two weeks it all became easier! Now 7 months into LCHF don't miss any of it, have lost a stone and find exercising easier. HBA1c normal. So far so good. Wish you the very best of luck too!

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone, I have just got to get on with it! I will look at all the links you have shared and if I have any question will ask on here. :happy:

How are you getting on? I was diagnosed type 2 on 30 September this year whilst attending a prediabetes course!! So I'm a few weeks ahead of you. Took me a while to get my head round the high fat bit too, but after reading loads from these clever peeps here I feel quite reassured we are doing the right thing.

So again, how're you getting along?:D

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just learning about this topic after glucose intolerance advice. I also have early stages of neuropathy. I have been surprised at this posifion having trained 3x a week for over 30yrs, retained average weight for 6ft 5 ins and followed in my opinion (soon to be changed by you guys probably) a sensible diet with fish, chicken, salads and watching sugar content although not completely when out for a meal. Ceased red meat other than very occasional steak some years ago. At 73 yrs I am very active and fit but as my father contracted type 1 diabetes when in late 60's I have to be watchful.
I am now following the 10 week lcd with intention of including some of the ideas gradually & pleased to hear from anybody in similar position either now or previously who has beneficial advice to offer. Thank you.

Welcome, seems like you're willing to try the ideas proposed in the LCHF programme, I'm, on week 9 and have seen some changes regarding weight loss ( I don't think relevant to you) and blood glucose levels.. The advice is sound and presented well, I suspect you will find it easy to follow. Good luck :D

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I manage some fruit by having it with cream to slow the digestion/absorption process. I typically have about 8 raspberries, 2 dessert sp Muller Lite yoghurt and 3 dessert sp double cream and it's lovely. I've just had bloods taken so await the results. I'll be interested to see what my cholestrol is!!!
Just to report back re Cholestrol levels etc. My results were excellent :) HbA1c was down to 6% (from 6.5%) and my cholestrol and ratios were significantly better than the previous results, although they weren't bad then either.

So, I'm relieved about this as I can continue to take cream in my coffee and on small amounts of fruit :)

Reactions: kokhongw