New to this, hi.

Flangorat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed as pre diabetic, not too sure what this entails even though it seems obvious

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed as pre diabetic, not too sure what this entails even though it seems obvious
Hi @Flangorat, welcome to the forum.

For a basic explainer on prediabetes, have a look at this to get you started - https://www.diabetes.co.uk/pre-diabetes.html

The good news is that prediabetes can often be turned around with diet and lifestyle changes.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your hba1c test result?

• Agree
Reactions: filly and Redshank

Recretia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you’re pre diabetic there’s lots you can do to reverse this. Assume your dr has given you guidance. If you’re over weight lose weight, exercise more, cut down carbs and sugar, no processed food, limited takeaways, no or at least limit cakes/biscuits/snacks such as these, smaller meals, good rest and sleep, cut back alcohol if you drink. Hopefully you will be given this kind of advice at your Drs.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also. No fizzy drinks. Drink water. Steer clear of low fat products.
On the topic of fizzy drinks, these aren't necessarily off limits for diabetics. Fizzy drinks containing sugar should be avoided, as should fruit juices, but fizzy drinks with artificial sweeteners generally have little/no impact on blood glucose levels. Many "no added sugar" squashes/cordials are also suitable for diabetics, as several threads on the forum have discussed. Ultimately, it entirely comes down to which particular artificial sweeteners are used in products, and while some can cause a glycemic response, many commonly used in diet, zero sugar, and no added sugar soft drinks or cordials don't cause any issues for most people with blood glucose levels.

While there are potential health impacts of artificial sweeteners, it's down to people to assess whether that's a concern of theirs, but from a blood glucose management perspective there are many other drinks options than just water.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: KennyA

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @Flangorat , and welcome,

Prediabetic is when your blood sugars are elevated, but not to a point where they're prone to do long-term damage or cause complications. So basically you know you're eventually headed for diabetes if you don't act, and you're acting so.... That's good. Might avoid the whole thing entirely! https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help some, though you probably won't have to go as far as all that to get your numbers back into the normal range, as it was written with T2's in mind. Just a few tweaks here and there and you could be seeing perfectly healthy numbers at the next check.

You're going to be fine. Really.
Jo

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier and Paul_

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the topic of fizzy drinks, these aren't necessarily off limits for diabetics. Fizzy drinks containing sugar should be avoided, as should fruit juices, but fizzy drinks with artificial sweeteners generally have little/no impact on blood glucose levels. Many "no added sugar" squashes/cordials are also suitable for diabetics, as several threads on the forum have discussed. Ultimately, it entirely comes down to which particular artificial sweeteners are used in products, and while some can cause a glycemic response, many commonly used in diet, zero sugar, and no added sugar soft drinks or cordials don't cause any issues for most people with blood glucose levels.

While there are potential health impacts of artificial sweeteners, it's down to people to assess whether that's a concern of theirs, but from a blood glucose management perspective there are many other drinks options than just water.
Agree. I drink "fizzy drinks" and they have zero impact on my blood glucose levels. None of them contain sugar. Its actually quite important to find what works for you, rather than what someone else tells you to do. I'm quite happy talking about how I changed my diet, and what the impact was, but I wouldn't claim that what works for me will necessarily work for anyone else.

On the subject of drinks - alcohol will often sharply lower blood glucose levels, as your liver focuses on processing it rather than keeping your blood glucose level topped up. I find that a couple of glasses of red mean that test results from food can be positively misleading.