New Type 2 and a Tad Confused

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Blue
ooh that don't sound good .yesterday before dinner I was at 4.8 then 2 hours later 10.8 then before bed 4.9 and this morning it was 5.4 so am in lower numbers and have been for a few days so am guessing that's good. I know if am below 4 that's not good. I think they will be starting me on met soon cus it mentions that in the letter too.

Your base line numbers are excellent.
What on earth did you have to eat yesterday that rocketed you up to 10.8?

RinT76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
too many to mention, lets start with grapefruit.
Your base line numbers are excellent.
What on earth did you have to eat yesterday that rocketed you up to 10.8?

hmm I had one of those microwave meal things, not the usual healthy living ones though, I had fish and chips and mushy peas and then del monte fruit cocktail x2 I was a tad greedy and craving sweet fruity things :p

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hmm I had one of those microwave meal things, not the usual healthy living ones though, I had fish and chips and mushy peas and then del monte fruit cocktail x2 I was a tad greedy and craving sweet fruity things :p

Well you have learnt a valuable lesson. Fish, chips and mushy peas, followed by a fruit cocktail, is definitely NOT a wise choice for you at the moment. You must learn to look at the nutrition labels on packaged foods and look for the Total Carbohydrate amount - anything over about 10g per 100g should be viewed as an unwise choice. Preferably less than 10g. The Del Monte fruit cocktail will have been full of sugar. A few raspberries or strawberries mixed in a plain unsweetened yogurt or double cream would have been very much better, and far more tasty!

RinT76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
too many to mention, lets start with grapefruit.
Well you have learnt a valuable lesson. Fish, chips and mushy peas, followed by a fruit cocktail, is definitely NOT a wise choice for you at the moment. You must learn to look at the nutrition labels on packaged foods and look for the Total Carbohydrate amount - anything over about 10g per 100g should be viewed as an unwise choice. Preferably less than 10g. The Del Monte fruit cocktail will have been full of sugar. A few raspberries or strawberries mixed in a plain unsweetened yogurt or double cream would have been very much better, and far more tasty!

oops, I didn't realize that, see no one told me about how much I could eat or explained carbs properly and when it comes to numbers they tend to dance all around and confuse me so I don't usually go looking for them for that reason, I will in future though, now I know above 10 is bad. so thank you :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
oops, I didn't realize that, see no one told me about how much I could eat or explained carbs properly and when it comes to numbers they tend to dance all around and confuse me so I don't usually go looking for them for that reason, I will in future though, now I know above 10 is bad. so thank you :)
Looking at the labels becomes second nature. I, too, struggle with numbers and sometimes ask family members to tell me the difference in my before and after readings (damned decimal points!). Be careful though about the labelling, they sometimes put 'Per Serving' and we all know that the portions per serving suggested by the manufacturer bear no resemblance to the servings we may have at home. Good luck.