New type 2

Rich H

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Been told by nurse not to bother with blood moniter, but i think ile prob buy a moniter so my question what should my blood sugars and when should i check blood sugars

oopsie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
upload_2016-8-1_13-46-53.png

Reactions: 2 people

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
First of all the target you aim for is not always what you get, sometimes your blood glucose numbers will drift high or low for a few days for no apparent reason and other times you will see sudden short lived spikes.

The normal testing pattern is before breakfast, then before and after each meal. Nomally post meal testing is done 2 hours after meals but some foods particularly whole grains can produce an increase readings 3 hours or more after eating so sometimes an additional test can be useful.

Early morning readings are the least easy to bring under control so don't be surprised if your pre-breakfast readings are initially at least higher than your post meal readings.
Initally at least I would suggest using the official guide numbers in oopsie's post how hard it will be stay within these varies from person to person --- remember no two people have the same diabetes or life style so don't get discouraged if you don't reach your targets immediately.

Once you get within the offical guidelines then you can target even tighter control.

If you buy a meter the SD CodeFree is accurate as any and more accurate than most it is a no frills meter with much lower running costs than others due to the lower cost of test strips.