New with Diabetes 2

samcogle

Parselmouth said:
Thanks for taking the trouble to write so much, I don't think I'm in the right frame of mind for it today, though,

None of the cereals I've tried have been any good, all too high carb. I'm not eating bran without sweetener or fruit, I'd rather eat the wood shavings out of my hen house. I've tried the Weight watchers yogurt, they seemed to have the lowest sugar I could find (around 6g per 100) but they still affected me.

I'm not at all interested in seeing a dietician, the contradictory nature of the findings of research gives me no faith that they really know anything for sure, and if they are government funded I wouldn't believe anything they said on principle. One of the main problems I have with this illness is the contradictions in information I've found from all different sources, which leads me to believe none of them. There's a fair amount of difference of opinion even on what consitutes an ok range of blood sugars, so when that's taken into account, how can you even be sure what you are aiming for?

I don't have much weight to lose, only around a stone but unfortunately most of it is on my stomach due to having put it on during two close together pregnancies.

Sorry for derailing your thread and being so negative, Vikingepigen, I'll leave it there.
Aw don't leave it there...you have made some very valid points...everyone says differently. you seem to have a determination in you as you are [rightly so] a little cynical about all this and that's good.
You have to do what is right for you and no-one else. You can listen and ask questions and choose not to believe that is also ok, but find something that you think you can cope with, be it lo carb or not, and give it a go. Get a test meter...check your BS level eat what you want and see what happens to your levels a couple of hours. If it is high then cut down the portion of that food and keep checking. It may not even be forever as I ate a sunday dinner with a yorkshire pud on it yesterday and my levels remained at 5 two hours later and I am someone that thought I couldn't get my levels below 10.
As I have been told when I first started and was full of hell and confusion...it's not a race...this illness is for life but you have time to learn and adapt and do what is right for you. Good luck and keep us informed of how you gat on, Sam x