Newcastle diet in response to new diagnosis

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi dazzer, I know you want to see nice readings but have a look again at the levels you have listed above. Notice anything?

The first thing I see is that as each day progresses you have managed to reduce your readings and the second, and I think the most important thing I see is that overall you have reduced your readings day to day. When you start eating again and thus making dietary choices you will be able to hone the effect foods have on your Glucose levels more effectively.

As far as I can make out at the moment your body is reacting to your reduced intake/fasting by dumping glucose into your system at more or less random times during the day. When you finish the fast and try to keep to a more predictable eating pattern I am sure your figures will start to come down in a more uniform manner.

All in all I think you deserve yet another pat on the back for being so determinedly proactive. :thumbup:

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi Catza,

Thanks ever so much, I am having real problems trying to interpret the results as to what is going on with me. I am really grateful for your input and interpretation.

I understand i have dawn phenomenon etc but what this means in terms of insulin resistance and pancreas function indicators or liver function etc etc i don't even know if extrapolations like that can be made?

I think i should probably stop second guessing this that and the other and just carry on what i need to do and see where it leads as i lose more weight. It is probably unrealistic to expect such big bg improvements given what I weigh.

I hadn't actually noticed really, I was getting so hung up on the fact they are still double figures I didn't look any further into it. I do know it is still very early days and in a roundabout way have gained some time simply by virtue of the fact I bought the meter myself... it could have been a couple of years perhaps until I had a test at the docs.

As to the pro-active bit, after seeing what this disease did to my dad I am scared witless, I think anyone who had seen it would be doing exactly the same. Obviously we know and hear of all the complications and realise diabetes is a very serious illness but actually seeing it up close and personal over nearly 2 decades it massively puts the fear of god into you when the doc says you've got it. Of course, I should have known better before and lived accordingly, but it is always easier to put things to the back of your mind and think it won't happen to you. My favourite was procrastinating, tomorrow always seems such a nice word lol

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks zy.
Dazzer I think you should be so proud of yourself, you took this thing by the horns, and so far your bg's are coming down nicely.
Good luck.

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi Dawn,

thank you for the encouragement and nice words, it is really appreciated and it all helps keeping me on the straight and narrow lol :thumbup:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
dazzer1975 said:
xyzzy,
thank you very much indeed for your input and advice

No problem. Don't worry too much about the DP effect. You are right in that the b*gger fires around 4.00am to 8.00am as I still get a significant hit each morning and it is very frustrating. Your starting levels look slightly worse than where I started and it took me 6 to 8 weeks on around 50g of carbs a day to consistently get below 8 so keep at it but you should get there in the end.

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi xyzzy,

I will keep the faith and persevere, not much choice really :? but you are right the dp is very frustrating. On a plus note i have just been on the rower, could only do 3 minutes but its the first of many 3 minute and longer sessions... baby steps and all that lol

Fraddycat

Well done with the exercise, 3 minutes today will soon be 5 minutes in a few days. I'm off on holiday the day after tomorrow, not sure how I will cope in the face of extreme temptation. I've stuck to LCHF like glue for 6 weeks, not sure if it will be possible while I am away :S I will just have to walk loads to try and offset any damage I might do!

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi Fraddycat,

ooohhh where are you going? Hope you have a great time with not too many issues surrounding food options. Holidays are always bad for temptations, but I think you should be able to treat yourself, it is a holiday after all :D

If you do have a treat or two lol don't beat yaself up about it and just know that you obviously have the will power and determination to stick at it once you get back with doing the same for 6 weeks.

Fraddycat

I'm off to Tenerife! Can't wait to get away from the dismal English weather. I am sure I can make mostly healthy choices foodwise but not sure if I can totally avoid cold beer. I am taking shakes and Atkins bars with me, just in case I have difficult situations but it should be ok!

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Oooohh tenerife, should get a nice tan, I believe they have a slimming effect so you can be a bit naughty while away lol

I've not been out so i've not missed the weather but it does seem to have been a particularly bad summer. I am in love with Scotland so it's probably just as well I haven't been this year, I bet it is worse up there than here lol

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Yesterdays readings from waking at 13:04 (day 2 of the complete fast)

I did say I weren't going to take many results as I weren't having any meals etc but I thought i would take a test before and after exercise to see if the patheticaly meagre amounts of exercise I was capable of would have any effect... they did :mrgreen:

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Thanks Fraddycat, I am pretty chuffed with a couple of single figures in one day... definitely getting there!

I am hoping for 8.something today. My waking reading at 1pm was 10.3 (my depression has wrecked any semblance of a routine sleep pattern)

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done dazzer. Hopefully you will be seeing more single-figure readings in the future. :clap: :clap: :clap:

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi Catza,

thanks very much :mrgreen: Yes, I definitely hope so.

Apparently the newcastle study participants had reached normal levels by the end of week 1. I will hit a week since starting religiously on the newcastle (albeit with this 4 day fast included) by friday (although really on Wednesday and Thursday of last week I must have been pretty **** close to the calorific requirements of the diet)

That week one result of the participants has and is also feeding into my impatience but, I suppose crucially, the participants were starting at a much less BMI than I am so I must be more philosophical and realistic about any comparisons I make between my own results (and ultimately prognosis regarding the likely progression of complications as a result of my bg readings over time) and theirs.

Still, onwards and downwards! WOOOOOO COME ON lol

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
short and sweet post tonight. Here are todays readings (first one upon waking, the rest at intervals through the day and pre and post exercise):

The 8.something I was hoping for will have to wait for another day :wink:

Fraddycat

New avatar Dazzer? Cute, he/she must be good company! Well done with the continued good readings I am sure you will be in the 8s tomorrow!

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Thanks Fraddycat,

yes I thought I best personalise my profile seeing as I will probably be here for some time (hopefully, if you see what I mean) he is a little cutey lol he is an old man now though and had an episode of a paralysis a few years back in his back end but luckily regained movement albeit with some lasting knee damage but he doesn't let it stop him. :mrgreen:

As for the 8's, well, they will come in time I hope, not so worried at this particular second as my mind has been totally consumed (pun intended) by thoughts of food, I have had about 10,000 calories in starchy carbs today... in my minds eye lmao.

dazzer1975

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People mainly.
Hi Mary,

thanks very much for the words of encouragement. I am currently looking forward to friday when I can tuck into a full 250g of broccoli mmmmmmm :lol: