Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb or low GI are the best way after the VLCD. Fat can only be laid down in the presence of insulin so eating in a way that limits insulin production is essential. Dietary fat is needed for various reasons but should be kept separate from carbs in a meal. The Australian nutritionist John Radcliffe explains this well. I am only too painfully aware of the yo-yo syndrome. I've too much to loose by being careless this time.

I have kept my weight stable all my adult life by refusing to buy a size larger clothes. Once my jeans became too tight I lost the bit of weight I had put on so that they fitted comfortably again; I am sure that is much easier that having loads of weight to lose and the depressing feeling of the long haul ahead. Sadly I still became T2 diabetic!

Good luck with your diet.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Hi pipp thanks for questions I think the big thing for me is the weight isn't coming off or going on my sugars have dropped which o expected but it's so demoralising when your eating nothing exercising Loads but body doesn't want to change, I wonder if I'm destined to be this shape and weight forever

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe

I've a question for you. I am down 21% (or more than 1/5th of my body weight) from my most highest weight and my BMI is now in the 24's(down from 30's). Still experiencing neuropathy in the feet and hands. Seeing the neurologist on Tuesday I am curious if I've gotten something other than T2D? I seem to be getting no love from my body although I am doing the right things? Should I not be seeing huge improvements as I am down 52lbs?

On the positive side of things I got a used bicycle wheel (for $25 :D) that now matches my back wheel. I sense I go faster with a matching pair (lol) when I go for a bike ride. I've been naughty this week as I've only cycled every day. I should lift more weights but I am moving homes & the gym will be walking distance for me then. My daughter and I will be going to the gym more often.

On a general note to ND'ers this weight loss thingy is tough. I had a few days in the mountains at 8000 feet and the weight flew off. & I've put 3 lbs back on since that time. One thing that has cracked me up is having lost 52lbs, I still have jeans that have me with a "Muffin top"! Yikes!

JM
If you are taking metformin and/or acid blocking medication, it's a good idea to be tested for B12/folate deficiencies - B12 in particular is connected to neuropathy.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pipp thanks for questions I think the big thing for me is the weight isn't coming off or going on my sugars have dropped which o expected but it's so demoralising when your eating nothing exercising Loads but body doesn't want to change, I wonder if I'm destined to be this shape and weight forever

Come on @geordie90 , you are early on this. Just chill and keep plodding on.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Geordie it could be your body telling you that it is not suited to a VLC regime. I tried one when they were first introduced it made me ill and, to add insult to injury, I only lost about 8lb in 2-3 months. It got to the stage that my doctor told me to eat properly again because my metabolism had slowed to the point that my body was shutting down. I was later told by a consultant that I was one patient that coukld truly blame their metabolism for their weight issues and that I would find it nearly impossible to lose weight until it sorted itself out. I finally began treatment for hypothyroidism in Nov 2013 and low carb/full fat in August last year and have lost about 3 stone to date - slower than some but an achievement for me.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AndBreathe

I've a question for you. I am down 21% (or more than 1/5th of my body weight) from my most highest weight and my BMI is now in the 24's(down from 30's). Still experiencing neuropathy in the feet and hands. Seeing the neurologist on Tuesday I am curious if I've gotten something other than T2D? I seem to be getting no love from my body although I am doing the right things? Should I not be seeing huge improvements as I am down 52lbs?

On the positive side of things I got a used bicycle wheel (for $25 :D) that now matches my back wheel. I sense I go faster with a matching pair (lol) when I go for a bike ride. I've been naughty this week as I've only cycled every day. I should lift more weights but I am moving homes & the gym will be walking distance for me then. My daughter and I will be going to the gym more often.

On a general note to ND'ers this weight loss thingy is tough. I had a few days in the mountains at 8000 feet and the weight flew off. & I've put 3 lbs back on since that time. One thing that has cracked me up is having lost 52lbs, I still have jeans that have me with a "Muffin top"! Yikes!

JM
@Indy51 beat me to it - have you been checked out for b12 deficiency? Sometimes the symptoms are just like neuropathy.

But I also agree wth @AndBreathe you may not have gone below your personal fat threshold.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
Daphne thanks for that it's just really annoying tbh but I'm not unhappy with how I look but just want to lose a couple of stone to sort sugars out
Pipp I will stop whining lol just get demoralised with it lol but onwards and upwards back on it strict again

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it is common to plateau, when the insulin resistance subsides a bit and the insulin levels drop, the fats can be more easily used as fuel. See how it goes, the ND of about 90g carbs may exceed your carb tolerance for now.

this is a simple video to get your head around how it works

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Daphne thanks for that it's just really annoying tbh but I'm not unhappy with how I look but just want to lose a couple of stone to sort sugars out
Pipp I will stop whining lol just get demoralised with it lol but onwards and upwards back on it strict again

@geordie90
I think some of the other posters make good points re B12, thyroid etc. perhaps a visit to doc for a check would be the right thing to do.

Also, after winter vitamin D levels could be low. I always feel a bit grim as we come out of winter months, but VLCD has never made me feel tired or lethargic. Quite the opposite in fact.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A confession. Last night, sorting through freezer, a stray cornetto, sort of fell into my hands. Left there months ago by the kids. It had freezer burn, and was heading for the bin, but somehow managed to unwrap itself and leap into my mouth and before I knew it, it was chewed up and swallowed.

Doh! Should never drop one's guard. Still I added up and averaged calories so far this week and it came to 836 a day. Could be better, but I won't beat myself up about it. Back to a day of just meal replacements, and being alert for family meal tomorrow.

Will leave scales and BG. Measurement a day or two longer.

Reactions: 6 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A confession. Last night, sorting through freezer, a stray cornetto, sort of fell into my hands. Left there months ago by the kids. It had freezer burn, and was heading for the bin, but somehow managed to unwrap itself and leap into my mouth and before I knew it, it was chewed up and swallowed.

Doh! Should never drop one's guard. Still I added up and averaged calories so far this week and it came to 836 a day. Could be better, but I won't beat myself up about it. Back to a day of just meal replacements, and being alert for family meal tomorrow.

Will leave scales and BG. Measurement a day or two longer.
it would be alright if I could leave it there, but once I start, that's me carb munching for the day, after 18mths, it still gets me everytime

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it would be alright if I could leave it there, but once I start, that's me carb munching for the day, after 18mths, it still gets me everytime

Yup, which is why I am glad it was late at night.

So a new day dawned and I have forgiven myself and moved on. So I had an extra 250 calories. I will make sure I average that out by reduced intake for next few days.

(As long as nobody brings Easter eggs into the house).

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feeling somewhat lethargic today.
Not putting it down to ND though, I have medical conditions and medication that inflict this on me.

Have stayed with the programme and only had meal replacements today. Even resisted urge to lick the spoon when I made a cake for family dinner.