Newcastle Diet survivors - where are they now?

malairt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Pipp - many thanks for sharing - and no, you didn't ramble at all.

My hearty congratulations on what you've achieved and for what it's worth, you've encouraged me to do something to see if my Type 2 can be reversed or at least get off insulin.

I've just lost out on a job opportunity because of insulin dependency and you've encouraged me to get off my bottom and do something about it.

Many thanks again

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did the Newcastle diet a couple of years back and lost two stone in two months, the main thing for me though was that my levels became prediabetic.
I also exercised a lot during the two month diet and felt excellent, my sugars were never above 6 and i had to go and buy a whole new wardrobe.
Inevitably though once i stopped the diet and with no alternative diet forthcoming I put on two thirds of the weight lost but never reached the previous weight levels which i suppose is an achievement.
I contacted the Prof at Newcastle Uni and suggested not only using the diet as a shock tactic start to a new eating regime but then producing a follow up diet once the two months was over, unfortunately as far as i am aware that hasnt happened.
I would do it again as it is not that hard, but would want a follow on diet devised for once the two months is over.
Once again I felt brilliant, was superfit due to exercise, in fact I was playing rugby, as a prop, and actually said to the ref when he blew for fulltime after 80 mins can we not keep playing a bit longer as i had never felt so good lol.

Geordie 90

Well done for the Newcastle diet achievement.

With the weight gain afterwards, did you continue exercise? As for diet after completing Newcastle, could you not continue with the large proportion of veg, supplemented with some good quality protein foods? Alternatively, what about fasting a few days a week, and eating moderately the rest of the time? It is unfortunate that we do not get the sort of advice on eating that is useful and relevant to the individual. That is why this forum is so useful.

Having achieved pre-diabetic status, it would be such a shame for you to lose the advantage you have created for yourself.

Good luck in finding the correct way for your individual needs

Pipp

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the Newcastle diet a couple of years back and lost two stone in two months, the main thing for me though was that my levels became prediabetic.
I also exercised a lot during the two month diet and felt excellent, my sugars were never above 6 and i had to go and buy a whole new wardrobe.
Inevitably though once i stopped the diet and with no alternative diet forthcoming I put on two thirds of the weight lost but never reached the previous weight levels which i suppose is an achievement.
I contacted the Prof at Newcastle Uni and suggested not only using the diet as a shock tactic start to a new eating regime but then producing a follow up diet once the two months was over, unfortunately as far as i am aware that hasnt happened.
I would do it again as it is not that hard, but would want a follow on diet devised for once the two months is over.
Once again I felt brilliant, was superfit due to exercise, in fact I was playing rugby, as a prop, and actually said to the ref when he blew for fulltime after 80 mins can we not keep playing a bit longer as i had never felt so good lol.

Thank you!

What happened to you blood sugars as you regained the weight? And where are they now?

The 5:2 diet is really popular at the moment. And I think people are finding it very successful. As per Alan's suggestion, if someone wanted to do a maintenance on the Newcastle, would it work to use Optifast on 2 days a week?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pipp - many thanks for sharing - and no, you didn't ramble at all.

My hearty congratulations on what you've achieved and for what it's worth, you've encouraged me to do something to see if my Type 2 can be reversed or at least get off insulin.

I've just lost out on a job opportunity because of insulin dependency and you've encouraged me to get off my bottom and do something about it.

Many thanks again

Cheers malairt

I am no saint, believe me, and have a long way to go yet before I consider myself to be safe from the diabetes returning. Have a lot of weight still to lose, but lacking in motivation at the moment. That is one reason why I am lurking round this site. Some very inspirational folks here.

Please make sure you are getting medical support if you do the Newcastle diet, particularly as you are on insulin.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want gluco meter for monitoring daily sugar levels so help me by sending it and the glucometer strips

Hi Rajesh, I think you have posted this in the wrong place. You'll need to apply again by clicking the advert and following the instructions.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a "survivor" I am again in danger. Almost 3 years ago I followed an extreme Newcastle diet. Used Lipotrim, which excludes all food except their products. At the time there was not much info available, so I missed out on the version with vegetables.

I was successful in my aim of "reversing" my T2 diabetes and up until now my HbA1c tests every 3 months have been. below 38. I had lost 42kg. However, I have in the last 15 months had 2 major operations. The most recent in January. I already have disabling medical conditions and limited mobility, and the enforced lack of exercise since, in addition to depending on others for providing my meals, have meant that I have regained 15kg of the weight lost. (OK, if I am honest, a touch of self pitying overindulgence in the wrong sort of grub too). I could argue that being limited in movement when home alone my self catering usually involved chunky slices of toast. Enough, self pity now though. I am afraid that my blood glucose will be raised again so I have to do something now.

Thanks to the inspiration of you wonderful guys, today I am making the following pledges:

Weigh myself weekly, and record weight.
Start and stay on Newcastle diet at least until I have lost 15kg, review when I achieve this.
Return to exercise in water and build up to attending 4 times a week.
Follow exercise programme provided by physiotherapist
Report progress on this forum.
Stop avoiding visit to nurse for latest HbA1c test, and make an appointment in 2 weeks time.

Now, before I chicken out I am going to hit the send button, because once I do that there is no going back.

Thanks guys.

Pipp

Reactions: 14 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good for you @Pipp !

I think that the hardest (and longest) part of any diet is keeping the weight off afterwards, and by making this decision you are already doing better than I ever did on a restricted calorie diet.

Well done!

And we are here for you for any support you need.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good for you @Pipp !

I think that the hardest (and longest) part of any diet is keeping the weight off afterwards, and by making this decision you are already doing better than I ever did on a restricted calorie diet.

Well done!

And we are here for you for any support you need.

Thank you, I need all the help I can get right now. I am trying to remember how awful I felt before I lost all the weight, and before diabetes was reversed. Want to avoid feeling like that again, and joining this forum had been one of the best things I could have done.

Pipp

Reactions: 7 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
We all need to work out a sustainable life style including diet, & make sure our family & friends understand why it is important to us. They might even benefit by emulation :)

Mine is:
Low carb diet pyramid.jpg

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We all need to work out a sustainable life style including diet, & make sure our family & friends understand why it is important to us. They might even benefit by emulation :)
View attachment 4610

That is good as a starting point, but I think there should be an extra layer at the bottom of the pyramid, labelled 'cocoa, 70% cocoa solid chocolate, truffles and chocolates (low sugar)'
It should be coloured brown, of course.

Eh, Spiker?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mine is:
View attachment 4610
Great stuff, IanD

Particularly like the bit about family and friends. Some folks just don't understand.

Thanks
Pipp

autumn64

I've just come back to this site - again - I did the Newcastle diet in 2012 and from nearly 15 stone i got down to 13st 3 (on high protein diet) before I started the newcastle diet and then down to 10st 4 on it. As you say it is not the 8 weeks that is hard - it is the follow up. It felt so good to be fitter and slim, but I was tired also.

I am now 13 stone again and looking for inspiration. On a positive note I am still off Metformin and my fasting blood sugars are pre-diabetic in the morning. I found Geordie's posts (starting the Newcastle diet on 2nd January) a real help. There seems to be a lot of posts about LCHF (low carbohydrates high fat) elsewhere on the site now. I'm not saying it wont work but I'm for the newcastle diet again.

Someone else mentioned - almost like it was an old wives' tale - that type O blood group people should not eat grain. I am O type, I just wondered what other blood group other diabetics were?
For what it's worth, my husband is doing the 5:2 diet, he eats low calorie soup/salad for 2 days and normally the rest of the days and he is a stone lighter than me now. Aldi have a carrot and coriander soup which is about 74 calories and that does him twice on a slimming day. He also has porridge in the morning and bran flakes at night. Great for me too as I don't have to cook.

I have just stocked up on ASDA strawberry meal replacement tins at £4 a tin. I've been bad today, I thought that if others could eat bacon (LCHF) then Id give it a try but of course I wrapped it in bread (brown), so better to do what I KNOW works ie Newcastle diet when I can 'syche' (can't spell that) myself up for it..

Good luck - you've done it before and you can do it again.

Reactions: 3 people

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
That is good as a starting point, but I think there should be an extra layer at the bottom of the pyramid, labelled 'cocoa, 70% cocoa solid chocolate, truffles and chocolates (low sugar)'
It should be coloured brown, of course.

Eh, Spiker?

Those are in the green section - an extra bottom layer would make it a chocolate/truffle diet. I don't think I could trust you - or myself. I did get a complaint when I included unlimited TEA, that that should have been red wine :(
I was given a bottle of wine when I spoke at the Hounslow diabetes meeting. Anyone know a use for it, other than as a beverage? Is it good for teeth cleaning?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just come back to this site - again - I did the Newcastle diet in 2012 and from nearly 15 stone i got down to 13st 3 (on high protein diet) before I started the newcastle diet and then down to 10st 4 on it. As you say it is not the 8 weeks that is hard - it is the follow up. It felt so good to be fitter and slim, but I was tired also.

I am now 13 stone again and looking for inspiration. On a positive note I am still off Metformin and my fasting blood sugars are pre-diabetic in the morning. I found Geordie's posts (starting the Newcastle diet on 2nd January) a real help. There seems to be a lot of posts about LCHF (low carbohydrates high fat) elsewhere on the site now. I'm not saying it wont work but I'm for the newcastle diet again.

Someone else mentioned - almost like it was an old wives' tale - that type O blood group people should not eat grain. I am O type, I just wondered what other blood group other diabetics were?
For what it's worth, my husband is doing the 5:2 diet, he eats low calorie soup/salad for 2 days and normally the rest of the days and he is a stone lighter than me now. Aldi have a carrot and coriander soup which is about 74 calories and that does him twice on a slimming day. He also has porridge in the morning and bran flakes at night. Great for me too as I don't have to cook.

I have just stocked up on ASDA strawberry meal replacement tins at £4 a tin. I've been bad today, I thought that if others could eat bacon (LCHF) then Id give it a try but of course I wrapped it in bread (brown), so better to do what I KNOW works ie Newcastle diet when I can 'syche' (can't spell that) myself up for it..

Good luck - you've done it before and you can do it again.

Thank you, autumn64

The important thing I notice is that although we both regained weight after finishing Newcastle, we are still below the weight we started at.

My blood group is A. Other half is group O. When I eat more than minimal carbs I gain weight. Also have so much water retention that I need shoes 2 sizes bigger than usual. O.H.'s diet is mainly carbs lots of pasta and such. O.H. Is slender and fit and healthy.

I have been immobile following two major surgical operations in the last 15 months. Also have been mobility impaired following a car accident twenty years ago. That will never get better, but I am used to the limitations that brings.

I think that this time round on Newcastle diet when I have had enough of it, I will reintroduce food gradually, i.e. Start eating "normal diet" two days a week at first, staying on the diet drinks the rest of the time. Then increase the days of normal food while checking weight to see if anything is causing weight gain. For me, normal food will probably not include much carb. I think I already know low carb is the way forward, but cannot manage high fat, as it makes me nauseous. Long way to go yet, and, of course, it is so easy to get caught out by unexpected events. I did not know I was going to need two operations which have slowed me down when I started. But that is life.

Well done to you for achieving what you have. I am still a long way off 13 stones, but feel inspired by your experience, and the other good folks on here.

Thank you

Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a "survivor" I am again in danger. Almost 3 years ago I followed an extreme Newcastle diet. Used Lipotrim, which excludes all food except their products. At the time there was not much info available, so I missed out on the version with vegetables.

I was successful in my aim of "reversing" my T2 diabetes and up until now my HbA1c tests every 3 months have been. below 38. I had lost 42kg. However, I have in the last 15 months had 2 major operations. The most recent in January. I already have disabling medical conditions and limited mobility, and the enforced lack of exercise since, in addition to depending on others for providing my meals, have meant that I have regained 15kg of the weight lost. (OK, if I am honest, a touch of self pitying overindulgence in the wrong sort of grub too). I could argue that being limited in movement when home alone my self catering usually involved chunky slices of toast. Enough, self pity now though. I am afraid that my blood glucose will be raised again so I have to do something now.

Thanks to the inspiration of you wonderful guys, today I am making the following pledges:

Weigh myself weekly, and record weight.
Start and stay on Newcastle diet at least until I have lost 15kg, review when I achieve this.
Return to exercise in water and build up to attending 4 times a week.
Follow exercise programme provided by physiotherapist
Report progress on this forum.
Stop avoiding visit to nurse for latest HbA1c test, and make an appointment in 2 weeks time.

Now, before I chicken out I am going to hit the send button, because once I do that there is no going back.

Thanks guys.

Pipp

This seems very egocentric replying to my own post, but I forgive myself!
Following last week's pledges I report the following:
I weigh 3.5kg less than last week.
I have been on Newcastle diet, using Tesco Ultraslim and vegetables.
I have been to 2 aquafit sessions, 1hour and 40 mins total time in water.
I have only once followed physio exercise recommendations.
I have had blood test for HbA1c yesterday and booked appointment for results after bank holiday.

I did find the first three days on Newcastle difficult. Not hungry, but so very cold. That has passed. I am not going to beat myself up about not doing the physio exercises because I excelled in the swimming pool, exceeding expectation of duration of time on aqua exercises.

The pledges I make this week are:
Continue on Newcastle diet
Not able to get to pool, so increase land based exercise to total at least 30 mins a day, as per Jamrox's challenge.
Do physio exercise at least 4 times
Start Pilates at home at least 2 times
Report progress on forum by 27 thMay.

Hope I have not bored you all too much with this
Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started Newcastle diet September 2011 for 9 weeks. Was 137kg at start, 115kg at finish. Had a break, weight stayed stable. Resumed Newcastle diet April 2012 for 6 weeks. Weight dropped to 95kg. Have regained some weight, now weigh 102kg, as I have needed two major operations and been immobile since December 2013. Operations were not due to or related to diabetic complications HbA1c has been below diabetic range since November 2011. Recovery from major surgery was easier than anticipated.

I found the Newcastle diet method much easier than others, and I have tried many over the years, due to the disciplined approach of eating nothing but the diet drinks and water. I chose to use Lipotrim, which does not include vegetables or any thing apart from the products and water. My goal was to reverse my T2 diabetes, which was achieved. I am aware that I have more weight to lose, and need to exercise more if I do not want to undo the good effects. As soon as I am able I will be exercising daily in water, as this is the only comfortable way for me due to disabilities. I will, with medical support, possibly repeat the Newcastle diet method, from time to time,as the fast weight loss is encouraging. In the meantime, I have been eating a diet of lots of veg, low carb and fat, with lean protein. Although Lipotrim was good, it was extreme, - no food at all apart from the products. In future, if I was to use Newcastle method I would replace Lipotrim with similar supermarket products.

Most important thing for me is that although I still am obese, (though less so than I was) I have been 'diabetes free' since November 2011.
Hope this helps.

Pipp
Re-reading this I noticed an error.. Sorry weight on 6May should have read 112kg.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This seems very egocentric replying to my own post, but I forgive myself!
Following last week's pledges I report the following:
I weigh 3.5kg less than last week.
I have been on Newcastle diet, using Tesco Ultraslim and vegetables.
I have been to 2 aquafit sessions, 1hour and 40 mins total time in water.
I have only once followed physio exercise recommendations.
I have had blood test for HbA1c yesterday and booked appointment for results after bank holiday.

I did find the first three days on Newcastle difficult. Not hungry, but so very cold. That has passed. I am not going to beat myself up about not doing the physio exercises because I excelled in the swimming pool, exceeding expectation of duration of time on aqua exercises.

If you don't mind a fellow traveller joining your thread in support, I've been on the Newcastle diet since Tuesday and I'm astonished at the results.

My BG is now in the 5s each morning (it used to be higher 6s and 7s) and it stays low through the day. I've had the odd bout of tiredness, one episode of feeling cold and a headache all day on Day 2. Apart from that, and immense curiosity and comment from colleagues, friends and family ("ohhh... that's really severe!"), I've not had any particular problems.

I'd been toying with the idea for a while but things always seems to get in the way - dinners out, birthdays, etc. etc. Last weekend, I thought what the hell and decided to go for it. My GP, who's absolutely great, was with me, saying he couldn't see anything in any of my tests that should stand in my way, so I felt now was the time.

Oddly enough, I've not had the hunger that I'd expected, despite having the big appetite which got me into this mess in the first place. I'm using Tesco Ultraslim. (BTW, the Strawberry and Banana and Mango packs have much less carbohydrate in them than other flavours. There are 28.2g of carbs in the mango and the strawberry and banana -v- 47.7g in, for example, the vanilla, the difference being made up by protein) and stir-fried veg or vegetable soups for the evening meal. I am drinking at least 5 pints of water each day which has kept me perfectly regular, which had been one of my worries, beforehand).

So far, I've lost 9lb in 5 days; I feel good on it all - better in fact than I've felt for a while. I've still got plenty of energy and I'm sleeping very well.

The thing that's really astounded me though is that the pains I've been having in my hands and feet for a long while now have disappeared. They went on Day 2 and haven't been back since. I'd like to think that improvement is going to be sustained. It's by far the longest period of time I've been free of them, so I'm hopeful.

My big concern now is how to successfully walk the fine line between being obsessive, and a pain in the neck to everyone around me, or becoming bored and giving in to temptation. I keep telling myself that I've got to give it my very best try, no matter what, but the next 7 weeks are certainly going to be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you don't mind a fellow traveller joining your thread in support, I've been on the Newcastle diet since Tuesday and I'm astonished at the results.

My BG is now in the 5s each morning (it used to be higher 6s and 7s) and it stays low through the day. I've had the odd bout of tiredness, one episode of feeling cold and a headache all day on Day 2. Apart from that, and immense curiosity and comment from colleagues, friends and family ("ohhh... that's really severe!"), I've not had any particular problems.

I'd been toying with the idea for a while but things always seems to get in the way - dinners out, birthdays, etc. etc. Last weekend, I thought what the hell and decided to go for it. My GP, who's absolutely great, was with me, saying he couldn't see anything in any of my tests that should stand in my way, so I felt now was the time.

Oddly enough, I've not had the hunger that I'd expected, despite having the big appetite which got me into this mess in the first place. I'm using Tesco Ultraslim. (BTW, the Strawberry and Banana and Mango packs have much less carbohydrate in them than other flavours. There are 28.2g of carbs in the mango and the strawberry and banana -v- 47.7g in, for example, the vanilla, the difference being made up by protein) and stir-fried veg or vegetable soups for the evening meal. I am drinking at least 5 pints of water each day which has kept me perfectly regular, which had been one of my worries, beforehand).

So far, I've lost 9lb in 5 days; I feel good on it all - better in fact than I've felt for a while. I've still got plenty of energy and I'm sleeping very well.

The thing that's really astounded me though is that the pains I've been having in my hands and feet for a long while now have disappeared. They went on Day 2 and haven't been back since. I'd like to think that improvement is going to be sustained. It's by far the longest period of time I've been free of them, so I'm hopeful.

My big concern now is how to successfully walk the fine line between being obsessive, and a pain in the neck to everyone around me, or becoming bored and giving in to temptation. I keep telling myself that I've got to give it my very best try, no matter what, but the next 7 weeks are certainly going to be interesting.

Hello 2131tom
I sort of hijacked this thread too. Sorry Brunneria, but I do get confused looking for posts on multiple threads. Tell me if you think I should start my own and I will.

2131tom, well done for your excellent start. Hope that you continue to have such success. First time I did Newcastle I found it very easy to stay on track with no uncomfortable side effects, apart from a very sore tongue. The worse thing was that I did a version of Newcastle using total food replacement. Having vegetables this time is making it less awkward in social situations. I hate the curiosity of others and their often insensitive comments.
I have kept to the pledges I made last week, and have lost another 1.5kg. That makes 4kg in two weeks.

On Tuesday I will get the results of my most recent HbA1c test. If it is still in non-diabetic range that will be two years and nine months since I had a diabetic blood glucose reading, and the nurse has said she will consider removing me from the diabetic register. Not sure if that is good or bad thing. Will be thinking of questions to ask, and any advice from forum members gratefully received.

I intend this week to
Continue the exercise challenge, including two water based exercise sessions.
Stay on Newcastle diet at least until Wednesday
Report back here after nurse appointment on Tuesday.

2131tom, happy to be mutually obsessive pain in neck here if you choose.
Pipp

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Welcome.
Chip in - the more the merrier!
And glad it is going well :happy: