Newish T2

Debtryketo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all , after two rounds of insulin dependent gestational diabetes, eight years later and a strong family history, I now join this family with T2. A disastrous 6 month blood test result when I thought I'd been following a sensible diet shocked me into getting a new glucose monitor. My scores were in double figures! Since being able to track my scores and adopting a LCHF diet I lost 18lbs and my scores are mostly in the 6's now. I do have 70lbs to lose, although with a rubbish thyroid gland and PCOS I'd love to hear some encouraging stories because I seem to have plateaued for a month

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed Type 2 in May last year and started on a low carb diet straight away, my blood sugars came down gradually, but after 6 weeks plateaued. I’d been eating under 100g carbs per day, so I reduced my carb allowance to between 50-70g per day. This did the trick and got my sugar levels down further. After four months I was down to a non diabetic HbA1c. How many grams of carbs are you eating? Is there room to drop a bit?

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all , after two rounds of insulin dependent gestational diabetes, eight years later and a strong family history, I now join this family with T2. A disastrous 6 month blood test result when I thought I'd been following a sensible diet shocked me into getting a new glucose monitor. My scores were in double figures! Since being able to track my scores and adopting a LCHF diet I lost 18lbs and my scores are mostly in the 6's now. I do have 70lbs to lose, although with a rubbish thyroid gland and PCOS I'd love to hear some encouraging stories because I seem to have plateaued for a month
Hi, I was diagnosed completely out of the blue in October last year. My first HbA1c was 95 (10.8) 2nd test result 87 (10.1) booked to see the diabetes nurse end of November and she did a finger prick test for me reading 76 (9.1) advised to eat well balanced diet, do some exercise and no need to test!
After the shock and some tears I did my own research and found this forum and the Diet Doctor website. Needless to say what I read made some sense and I decided to ignore the NHS advice and swapped to low carb diet in the new year.
Had my first check up 6th February, HbA1c now 45 (6.3) pre diabetic range, I test my blood myself and am averaging 37 (5.5) I’ve lost 2st 11lbs to date, cholesterol was good at time of diagnosis 4.1 and has come down a little bit to 4, blood pressure was good and again has come down to lower than the recommended maximum level. Exercise wise I started with 20 minutes swimming 4 times a week until new year, then I introduced 15 minute HiiT sessions for a change and now I have just returned to 30 minute swims, 5 minute HiiT sessions and a daily walk during lunch breaks of 15 to 20 minutes (weather permitting). I am hoping that when I go for my second check up my HbA1c will reflect the averages I get now, I would love to see it around 32 to 34, still have some weight to loose but have a holiday booked for May that is acting as an additional motivation. Good luck with your journey.

Debtryketo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks all for replying, I have an egg, cheese omelette with avocado for breakfast & black tea, for lunch tuna/mackerel, cheese, yogurt, mayo, olives lots of greens. Dinner steak/chicken/homemade burger etc, lots of broccoli, mushrooms, cheese, mayo. Water or black/cream tea. Food cooked in butter or & olive oil. Snack walnuts.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks all for replying, I have an egg, cheese omelette with avocado for breakfast & black tea, for lunch tuna/mackerel, cheese, yogurt, mayo, olives lots of greens. Dinner steak/chicken/homemade burger etc, lots of broccoli, mushrooms, cheese, mayo. Water or black/cream tea. Food cooked in butter or & olive oil. Snack walnuts.

Have a read through the 'Fasting' sub section of the forum. Perhaps Intermittent Fasting may help you break your way off the plateau. Good luck.

Reactions: Debtryketo

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Be careful when cooking with olive oil. It can break down into some pretty nasty things if it gets very hot. Butter or lard are safer for high-temperature cooking.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed completely out of the blue in October last year. My first HbA1c was 95 (10.8) 2nd test result 87 (10.1) booked to see the diabetes nurse end of November and she did a finger prick test for me reading 76 (9.1) advised to eat well balanced diet, do some exercise and no need to test!
After the shock and some tears I did my own research and found this forum and the Diet Doctor website. Needless to say what I read made some sense and I decided to ignore the NHS advice and swapped to low carb diet in the new year.
Had my first check up 6th February, HbA1c now 45 (6.3) pre diabetic range, I test my blood myself and am averaging 37 (5.5) I’ve lost 2st 11lbs to date, cholesterol was good at time of diagnosis 4.1 and has come down a little bit to 4, blood pressure was good and again has come down to lower than the recommended maximum level. Exercise wise I started with 20 minutes swimming 4 times a week until new year, then I introduced 15 minute HiiT sessions for a change and now I have just returned to 30 minute swims, 5 minute HiiT sessions and a daily walk during lunch breaks of 15 to 20 minutes (weather permitting). I am hoping that when I go for my second check up my HbA1c will reflect the averages I get now, I would love to see it around 32 to 34, still have some weight to loose but have a holiday booked for May that is acting as an additional motivation. Good luck with your journey.

We’re very similar.

My HBA1C dropped to 38 last week.

Next target is around 32-34, hopefully!

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We’re very similar.

My HBA1C dropped to 38 last week.

Next target is around 32-34, hopefully!
Well done on what you have achieved so far and I hope you reach your next target. I am hoping to have reached mine when I go for my next check up in June

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on what you have achieved so far and I hope you reach your next target. I am hoping to have reached mine when I go for my next check up in June

Thank you and congratulations too!

Keep it up, for life!

Chocomin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have PCOS too. My suggestions are take metformin (if you're not already and can tolerate it) my weight loss has only really happened with it as it's just too hard without better control of PCOS.

Get a vitamin D test, lack of it is linked with insulin resistance and can make things even harder.

Push yourself in and out of keto; awful I know but this is what it usually takes to drop a stone for me. It'll stop after that, so I have to increase my carbs, then when I get back on the wagon the weight goes again.

Lastly make sure you're not over doing it on the nuts, meat or cheese. Can be easy to throw out the fat protein carb balance accudentally, even if eating lower carb and calorie. Again probably because of the PCOS but I have to monitor this like a hawk or I don't get anywhere.

Debtryketo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have PCOS too. My suggestions are take metformin (if you're not already and can tolerate it) my weight loss has only really happened with it as it's just too hard without better control of PCOS.

Get a vitamin D test, lack of it is linked with insulin resistance and can make things even harder.

Push yourself in and out of keto; awful I know but this is what it usually takes to drop a stone for me. It'll stop after that, so I have to increase my carbs, then when I get back on the wagon the weight goes again.

Lastly make sure you're not over doing it on the nuts, meat or cheese. Can be easy to throw out the fat protein carb balance accudentally, even if eating lower carb and calorie. Again probably because of the PCOS but I have to monitor this like a hawk or I don't get anywhere.

Interesting, I knew something was up, I dropped 18lbs so fast and now absolutely nothing, it's disheartening especially as increasing my carbs will up my sugars. I am on max dose of metformin.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you and congratulations too!

Keep it up, for life!
I think we need to view this new eating and exercise regime as a permanent change to our lifestyles, but I think its a change for the better. I didn't feel unwell before this journey began but I now have more energy, don't crave certain foods, that said I miss some things like fruit and toast, don't feel hungry and in general I feel good.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting, I knew something was up, I dropped 18lbs so fast and now absolutely nothing, it's disheartening especially as increasing my carbs will up my sugars. I am on max dose of metformin.
From your user name I'm guessing you are interested in keto? If so I would heartily recommend the www.ketogenicforums.com.
They have a whole section on keto and PCOS and lots of very helpful people (very much like this site).
You have to join the forum to view the health section so it is only visible to forum members rather than the general public.
May well be worth you taking a peek.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think we need to view this new eating and exercise regime as a permanent change to our lifestyles, but I think its a change for the better. I didn't feel unwell before this journey began but I now have more energy, don't crave certain foods, that said I miss some things like fruit and toast, don't feel hungry and in general I feel good.

Absolutely fantastic, very well done !!!

Reactions: jayney27

Chocomin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to stay under 30g of carbs a day to keep ketosis going/control bgs, so I don't have to do a lot to get pushed out again. Usually I just have something that I can't have everyday but that doesn't push me up more than 2 mmol. Different veg, low-carb tortillas with my kebab, higher carb yogurt and berries or sauce (tsp of ketchup! ). I have a ketone monitor but can generally tell when I've come out the next day because of how awful low energy I get at first. Maybe worth playing around with monitor?

Debtryketo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I loved buttered toast, my neurons are firing excitedly just reading the word toast

Reactions: Chocomin

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Chocomin - When you say you have to increase your carbs, is that to plateau your weight loss? You could try upping your protein or fat, rather than carbs.