Newish to Lyumjev and never had so many problems

mrszonky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I'm type 1 and have been for about 52 years. I started on Lyumjev about 2 months ago. 3 x daily, plus a few correction doses. I was on NovoRapid previously, but this took a very long time to act, so asked for a proper quick acting insulin and along came Lyumjev. I am struggling big time....many hypers, less hypos than when I first started Lyumjev, and that pleases me. But these highs are getting me down. I used to be in target around 90% of the time, now I struggle to reach 50%. My diabetes nurse refuses to change my quick acting insulin (I asked her and she told me she will not change it). I have Lantus 1 x daily at around 10pm (13 units). This has stopped my morning hypos. I use Lyumjev at a ratio of 1 unit to 10 grams of carbs. Would Lantus 2 x daily be beneficial? All.advice welcomed.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Would Lantus 2 x daily be beneficial? All.advice welcomed.

Hi, I have to be careful what I say here because forum rules specifically prohibit giving exact dosing advice, but I think we can talk generally about insulins.

I personally split my lantus (haven't yet told my diabetic clinic but I don't think they'll mind) because I was finding lantus a little erratic (couple of lantus lows where the whole 24 hours seemed to hit at once) and sometimes it didn't seem to be working at all (injection site issues??). Anyway I find it works better for me as a split dose and seems to act more evenly so I am happy to do so.

But it sounds like your issues are with the bolus not the basal, so am not sure how splitting it would benefit you?

Having said that, are you sure your basal dose is correct? (Basal rate testing might be needed). I find my basal needs do change and if the basal is wrong it's really really hard to get the bolus right.

I use Lyumjev at a ratio of 1 unit to 10 grams of carbs.
How confident are you that that is correct? 1 to 10 seems to be the default starting point for bolus insulin to carb ratios and you might want to tweak it??? (Assuming your basal is correct).

Good luck.

ps edited to add I'm on humalog and lantus so don't have any experience with lyumjev specifically