Newly diagnosed and need some help please!

shell03

I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question. I have just been diagnosed with GD and started monitoring my blood sugar levels a couple of days ago. I have to do one day of monitoring 'before' meals and then the next day do 'after' meals.

Today I had lunch at 12:00 - didn't eat anything else until about 6pm when I had an apple. I then tested my blood sugar at 6.30pm as I was about to eat dinner - my reading was 8.6 !!

This is higher than when I did the GTT when it was 8.5! Up until now my readings have been between 4 and 6.5 before and after meals. The highest was 7.0 but that was after we had done pick your own and I ate loads of fruit whilst picking!

Could the apple 30 mins before I tested really have made it so high? I am so confused about all this and really want to be able to control the GD through diet if I can but now am worried I'm not going to be able to if something like an apple can send it so high. Was it because I only had the apple 30 mins before testing?

Thanks so much for any advise!
xx

jopar

I'm a bit flumaxed by how you've been told to test...

You need to be testing before and after the same meal to get a idea what's happening, you can't compare a BG taken before a meal, and then compare the BG from the corrosponding meal the following day.. Too many varibles to really make this useful information :?

Not sure at what stage of pregnancy, but they will monitor you closely to see what is happen with your blood glucose levels, as they might need to introduce medication to maintain control it will depend really how your body is reacting to the stresses and strains of the pregnancy, as some just need to alter their diet, cut out sugar be carefull on carbs and types they eat needing no other treatment, but then some find that they need medication in my day it was insulin but now that may have well changed..

Hope this helps..

Dipsy

Not washing my hands after eating fruit and before testing sent my reading sky high! If you don't eat for ages, your blood sugar can rise, because your liver delivers glucose into your system. A small snack mid morning and afternoon can help.

I tested before each meal and 2 hours afterwards, and kept a food diary, which I would have thought was more helpful than your current testing regime.

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
I'm a type 2 and here are the rules I follow
Regular meals at regular times
BG test before the meal
BG test 2 hours after meal
I keep a food diary and note the meal eaten and the 2 hour BG reading, once you know what food gives a high reading you will soon learn to avoid or reduce it.

All this works for me. Try it
Eventually you may not need to test so often :)