littlem1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all likeminded T1s.
So a little bit about me.
I'm 27, 28 in 14 days time.
I was diagnosed as being T1 in November last year and at the time my partner and I had been trying for a baby for about 4/5 months with no success.
Obviously with the news of my diagnosis I was swiftly put back on the Pill as a precaution and briefly explained that getting pregnant with poor control was not the way forward and that I would need to think about trying again at some other time. Double Whammy.
Since then, and I realise I'm only a little under 3 months in, I have been doing all I can to try and get mu BGL under control in the hopes that I can get back on track with life but also with TTC.
A meeting with my consultant over Xmas was very positive and she felt that if my BGLs were to continue in the track that I had achieved so far she would have no issues with me TTC in say the spring.
I wouldn't say I am in a hurry, but my partner and I have been thinking about taking this step on and off for the last 3 years or so and it has never seemed the right time, and now this just feels like another setback.
Am conscious of my age and wanting so badly to have a baby, but also that I want my BGL to be under good control before we get to that stage.
Has anyone, newly diagnosed or not been in this position.
Ideally I am looking for friends and support from anyone fairly newly diagnosed who shares my concerns overall as a newly diagnosed diabetic, but also people that are also in my dilemma with regards to wanting to start a family.
I only know a couple of diabetics and they are both male, so a little difficult to talk to them about this, and as much as family and friends have been supportive, and they have been great, I don't think they can fully understand what it's like to live with something that you have to be thinking about day in and day out.
Many Thanks all for taking the time to read.

jade88

Hi littlem welcome to the group!
I am 26 and also type 1 - I was diagnose 6 years ago so not brand new to this but not as seasoned as some of the ladies on here who were diagnosed in childhood.
Have any of your team spoke to you about the honeymoon period? Sometimes when diagnosed your pancreas is still working a little bit as it finally shuts down completely your insulin requirements can change. I think although this is prob not what you want to hear you should spend a year adjusting to life with diabetes before putting yourself under the pressure of trying for a baby. It can take awhile to get the hang of carb counting etc- maybe ask your team to send you on the Daphne course I found it extremely helpful!
Just know you are not alone! Most of us have had long journeys to get here but you can lead a normal life with diabetes! Good luck! xx

Reactions: 2 people

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi littlem,

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was about 6 months pregnant at the end of 2012. I now have a healthy 2 year old son and am 7 months pregnant with number 2.

Being diagnosed during pregnancy was pretty worrying and overwhelming and meant I had to get on top of it immediately and keep tight control. My consultant encouraged me to get on with trying to conceive number 2 as my control was good and I'm old!

It's been quite a roller coaster as my body has always been changing - during pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, stopping breastfeeding, conceiving and pregnancy again, all of which have caused changes in my blood sugar levels and insulin requirements.

I usually stick to a low carb diet as it gives me better control - less insulin and fewer highs and lows.

I'm happy to help by sharing my experiences.

Good luck

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BTW don't worry about your age, you're young in terms of having kids. Mind you, I think I'm classed as geriatric as I'm 41 (had my first at 39).

Reactions: 2 people

acathers12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi littlem,
I can relate to you entirely! I was recently diagnosed in may (one month ago) with type 1! No history in our family, totally came out of the blue. Previous to this diagnosis, me and my husband were trying for our first baby, and had a heartbreaking miscarriage 2 weeks before I was diagnosed. So i totally get the whole double whammy thing. When I was diagnosed my doc told me I miscarried due to untreated diabetes. And I'm in the same boat now, wanting to concieve as soon as possible, but wanting to be entirely healthy and on track first. My doc suggested 3—6 months until conceiving. Any thoughts on that? Or anyone whose experienced this?

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
I am in the same boat. We were just about to start trying for a family but were waiting to find out why I had been feeling ill for 5 months which turned out to be the type 1 diagnosis at the beginning of June! I am 30 and while I know loads of people do have babies later there is a lot of pressure to get on with it sooner if you know you want a family. In 6 weeks my HbA1c has come down from 14.4% to 8.8% and my DSN thinks we should be able to start trying in the autumn assuming everything keeps going in the right direction. I have been watching my carb intake as that does seem to make my BG a lot easier to manage, up to about 100g a day so no where near low carb. But I do worry about the honeymoon period and things changing in the future. There is also the psychological impact of not wanting diabetes to take over my life!

littlem1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies.
How are you JBlaza and acathers12? Any progress of news on your journey towards conception?
I got my HbA1c down to 46 and so have been given the go ahead to try for a baby with my other half, so came off the pill for the second time, had my normal withdrawal bleed and then nothing for 11 weeks! Am now waiting to see how long this cycle lasts and eager to get on with things as you are too. This was exactly the stage I got too last November when I was then diagnosed as T1. Meanwhile three close(ish) friends have announced they are pregnant, all I get is Diabetes!! Feeling like the world is a little unfair at present and am sure you feel the same.
Seems to be a waiting game now although we are 'doing the deed' regularly in the hope that we might get lucky. So frustrating when you just want to get on with things, whilst also trying to juggle normal life, and keep your HbA1c down so as optimum for conception. So much more to think about than a normal woman trying for a baby it feels like, especially when people around me seem to fall pregnant like nobodies business. Hard to find others in a similar boat to share your concerns and frustrations with too!
Like you JBlaza, I don't want it to take over my life but we are reminded of keeping things under control every time we test out blood/eat/inject, then the whole cycle starts again at the next meal, and for me every time I go to the toilet I'm looking for signs of all sorts of things I never thought it would be!