Newly Diagnosed T2, vegan,Diet Questions...

adaylate

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. I've suspected for a couple years that I had diabetes, or was at least pre-diabetic. I avoided the Dr because I didn't want the bad news (horrible I know, especially given the fact that I'm a registered nurse). Well finally I forced myself to get checked out, and turns out my a1c was 8.9. I immediately changed my diet and have lost 34 lbs. I have been completely vegan for 2 months.

I am now on day two of Metformin, 500mg twice a day. My Dr just told me that he wants me to eat 1200 calories a day and keep my carbs to 200g or less. Prior to this advice, my vegan diet was pretty much just unlimited fruits and vegetables for 2 months, and that's how I lost weight. I never felt deprived. I never counted calories or carbs. It's only been a couple days but I really feel discouraged with these new diet restrictions. It just seems like the classic "diet" type of thing I've tried 10 times before, failed, and gained all the weight back (plus some).

So I guess I'm just wondering, should I try and do the 1200 low carb vegan? Even though I feel like it's a recipe for personal failure? Or go with what's worked for me the past two months? I just feel like in my heart that it can't be bad to eat unlimited fresh fruits and vegetables. Does anyone have any advice? Any type 2 vegans out there?

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome adaylate! I hope someone will vegan experience comes along soon to advise! I know I've always been by nature inclined to go with my heart.....certainly if I had followed nhs standard advice when diagnosed in June regarding carbs I wouldn't have got to where in an now, they didn't seem to think much of low carb - but now they love my levels and weight loss!!

adaylate

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'My Dr just told me that he wants me to eat 1200 calories a day and keep my carbs to 200g or less'

How long does your doctor suggest the diet for.

Personally, (apart from not being vegan) it was very similar to the diet I chose to lose weight, and gain good control of my BG.
No real time frame was given to me. I have no doubts I'll lose more weight if I stick to this, I guess I'm just questioning whether this is a realistic goal for myself.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. At least the GP was suggesting you caut down the carbs. With an HBa1C of 8.9% you may want to set the target even lower at 150gm (sorry!). Most non-root veg are fine for us but just be careful with root veg and for, example, carrots, have them raw. Fruits vary in sugar content but I'm afraid you can't have unlimited fruit. Avoid the tropical fruits and as part of the 150 gm it should be fine. Fat is OK but I guess may be limited in options for Vegan's?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi adaylate, do you test bg? Most of us on here have found it vital to test.

I don't know much about vegan diets but you could try to cut down on carbs, particularly grain, and up the fat part of your diet to make up for the lower level of energy from carbs. Olive oil and coconut oil are good sources.

And test, test and test in order to understand how to control bg by diet.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was the HbA1c of 8.9 before the two months of vegan diet, or after you'd been on it two months? Are you vegan by long term lifestyle choice, or because you felt it might be a way of dropping some weight?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Is @izzzi around to help?

Are you testing your blood glucose 2 hours after eating? Only that will tell you how you are managing.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, @adaylate :) I am on a vegan type diet,
You have got it right "go with your heart" but live with your meter.
If you need to loose weight, @Avocado Sevenfold's advice is great especially for great recipes( you can easily remove dairy products )
I can have most foods that vegans have apart from sugar. It becomes normal to avoid breads, pasta etc;
You must restrict only what affects your BG levels,simply because we are all different.
I regularly check with my meter just in case things get out of control. They don't so far.
This Forum helps you make a sensible choice. However it is your choice,and I say keep it simple.
My diet has been good for over 2 years but I would find it hard to ask other people take the vegan route especially when I miss lamb and good old mature cheese.:)
keep up your good efforts,

K

Kat100

Hi everyone. I've suspected for a couple years that I had diabetes, or was at least pre-diabetic. I avoided the Dr because I didn't want the bad news (horrible I know, especially given the fact that I'm a registered nurse). Well finally I forced myself to get checked out, and turns out my a1c was 8.9. I immediately changed my diet and have lost 34 lbs. I have been completely vegan for 2 months.

I am now on day two of Metformin, 500mg twice a day. My Dr just told me that he wants me to eat 1200 calories a day and keep my carbs to 200g or less. Prior to this advice, my vegan diet was pretty much just unlimited fruits and vegetables for 2 months, and that's how I lost weight. I never felt deprived. I never counted calories or carbs. It's only been a couple days but I really feel discouraged with these new diet restrictions. It just seems like the classic "diet" type of thing I've tried 10 times before, failed, and gained all the weight back (plus some).

So I guess I'm just wondering, should I try and do the 1200 low carb vegan? Even though I feel like it's a recipe for personal failure? Or go with what's worked for me the past two months? I just feel like in my heart that it can't be bad to eat unlimited fresh fruits and vegetables. Does anyone have any advice? Any type 2 vegans out there?
Hello and welcome , first congratulations on your weight loss and knowing something was wrong ...
I have been a vegan before , now veggie with cheese , eggs only if I can't see them ...
I have lost the weight I choose to loose , for me that was cutting out sugar or rather reducing sugar , going low fat and reduced carb ..
That suited me ....and my health needs...
Diet portion control and just increasing exercise all became and are my package which I choose to follow ...I have never gone down tne route of counting carbs and calories ....
I did seek help from a very good nhs dietitien who always was supportive ...we may not always of agreed , because I did a lot of tweaking to suit me ..
I still do what is right for me .... I think you are doing really well , taking control is one big step ...best wishes ...Kat

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It isn't just weight loss that is important, it is controlling those blood sugars too. The lower carb you go, the more control you will get and the more weight you will lose. It's a win-win situation.

You do need a meter so you can test yourself before and after a meal to see what effect it has had. This way you can adjust your meals accordingly.

Fruit is particularly difficult because it is full of sugar. It may be natural sugar, but none the less, it is sugar, and type 2's are often more susceptible to fructose than to other forms of sugar. Other culprits are rice, pasta, spuds, bread and anything made with flour.

I know nothing of vegan diets, but I do know what carbs do to blood sugars and to weight issues.

A

AnnieC

Whatever worked for you then go for it. Obviously as a vegan you eat differently to meat eaters so only those who have experience of a vegan diet can advise you really but good luck with whatever you do

suginami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I'm vegan. I eat brown rice. Brown bread. Porridge. Small potions. Hummous too. Lots of fresh veg. Only apples and blueberries. Wholewheat pasta. All in small bowls. Small quantities. T2 10 years. I was a heavy wine drinker but gave it up.