Newly diagnosed type 1

doyleyjo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum and share my story so far. I'm a 47 year old female with no family history of diabetes.

Around two months ago I started to feel ridiculously thirsty, drinking bucketloads of water, tea, squash, whatever was available. A few days later I thought I had food poisoning and was very poorly for 48 hours. Three days after, I woke up to very blurry vision......a GP visit was then booked. She checked my urine which had ketones, and did a finger prick test which showed BG level in the twenties. She called A&E and said I'd be in later to see them (I had a son to feed before I could go!).

By the time I got there my level had risen to the mid thirties and I was then suffering from DKA, which was a little scary. I was hooked up to an insulin sliding scale, together with various other drips to keep my fluids up. Four days later I was discharged with insulin pens, Metformin tablets, a glucose monitor, and an array of sundries and leaflets.

More blood tests were needed to determine which type I was, my hba1c, and other stuff I can't remember as its a bit of a blur. I started injecting myself and was getting on with it ok, but did experience a number of hypos, probably because of unaccounted exercise or not fully understanding that I should be adjusting the insulin based on exactly what I ate; I was instructed to start with 4 units of NovoRapid before breakfast and lunch, then 6 for dinner and I stuck with that religiously.

Since then my DSN has confirmed I'm type 1 and suggested I only take my basal insulin (Lantus), as I'm still in the honeymoon period and will still be producing some. I'm trying to get some exercise in every day to try to burn off some of those pesky carbs! If my levels do spike then I can give myself a corrective dose of NovoRapid.

So until my pancreas decides to give up the fight, I imagine this is what I'll be doing. When it does stop in the coming weeks/months and I need to really think about calculations, ratios etc, I know that this is going to be a great place to come for advice and support.

Apologies for chapter and verse, but it's quite cathartic to actually put this in writing. I'm only two months in and, although I feel I have learned quite a lot, there's so much more to understand and it's a daunting prospect. I don't feel sorry for myself or depressed about being gifted with T1, I just know that I face quite a challenge.

Thanks for reading
x

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 5 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @doyleyjo :)

Ah, the thirst! It's horrible, isn't it? I still remember that even though I've been Type 1 for years.

You sound really switched on for someone who has only been diagnosed so recently :cool: With diabetes, you have to be your own expert as you live with the condition 24/7. It is hard work, but it does get easier as you get used to how your body reacts and how to 'be your own pancreas'.

Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: 3 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @doyleyjo
welcome to the forum :)
it is a really rough ride to start with but you deffo seem to have got to grips with things.
you got a load of experience here on the forum to help :)

keep posting and glad you joined us !!!!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You may be able to stay with just the Basal for a while but there is no reason why you can't plan to have the Bolus if you are having a special meal rather than having a 'corrective dose' afterwards. Do keep the carbs down where you can and have proteins and fats with veg of course in preference.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Around two months ago I started to feel ridiculously thirsty, drinking bucketloads of water, tea, squash, whatever was available.

Like @azure I remember that all too well, I could have drank from a hosepipe and still been thirsty.

It does get easier in time and the first few weeks/months are by far the worst, if you want an excellent book to read about managing type 1 diabetes then purchase Think Like a Pancreas.

Good luck and look forward to your contribution on the forum.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @doyleyjo you seriously sound like you are doing great so far! I don't remember te thirst as I was 3y/o when diagnosed but me mam said she would find me with my head stuck under the tap just guzzling water!
I hope you find it useful on here, what you think is the 'daftest question' will probably have been asked before so don't be scared to ask anything :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

JJO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@doyleyjo Hey and welcome!

That thirst runs try with a lot of us. In fact that was one of the things my wifey hated. Me popping to the bathroom at all hours of the night, drinking from the tap.

Sounds like you got a pretty good handle on things which is awesome.

Great to have you on the boards!

Josh