Newly diagnosed

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 November 16. Been on low carb since Jan and lost 1 stone 4lbs.
Recently got a blood glucose tester and mostly managing to keep levels below between 5 and 7. Experimented with some high sugar/carb party food at Easter and saw a spike of 10.9!!
I'm going to be arguing with the diabetic nurse tomorrow about getting at least some test strips on prescription as I have the accu check mobile which is great and prints out lovely graphs from your pc, however the test cassette strips are heinously expensive

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is great that you keep your levels between 5 and 7 and congratulations on your weight loss. Hope you are successful getting strips on prescription not many T2's do that is why most who want to test use the Codefree meter and buy their own strips for it because they are the cheapest

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi, I was diagnosed type 2 November 16. Been on low carb since Jan and lost 1 stone 4lbs.
Recently got a blood glucose tester and mostly managing to keep levels below between 5 and 7. Experimented with some high sugar/carb party food at Easter and saw a spike of 10.9!!
I'm going to be arguing with the diabetic nurse tomorrow about getting at least some test strips on prescription as I have the accu check mobile which is great and prints out lovely graphs from your pc, however the test cassette strips are heinously expensive

Welcome to the forums @Julia99 ,

Well done on the weight loss and hope you win the argument!

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Julia99 .. and welcome
You have made a good move coming here .. and many congrats on your numbers and weight loss so far. I hope that you win your argument about test strips but, if not, you might be interested in the following websites ...
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/ for the SD Codefree meter or: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.
The costs of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets. I'm testing 3-4 times a day which works out at around £10 to £12 per month for the two packages above but, more importantly, I now know what my BG levels are .. and I will be able to manage them
Hope this helps

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That is great that you keep your levels between 5 and 7 and congratulations on your weight loss. Hope you are successful getting strips on prescription not many T2's do that is why most who want to test use the Codefree meter and buy their own strips for it because they are the cheapest

I'm not holding out much hope. I will look into the one you mention. I guess I'm being lazy as the accu check is all in one so no fiddling around

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I will let you know how I get on. I work at my surgery so maybe that will go I'm my favour

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not holding out much hope. I will look into the one you mention. I guess I'm being lazy as the accu check is all in one so no fiddling around

I have the Codefree and the AC Mobile. I currently use the AC Mobile exclusively because of the convenience and ease of use. The cassettes are an outrageous price, but I get mine from eBay at about half price or a little more. My surgery used to prescribe the AC Mobile to those lucky enough and T1s but stopped last year sometime due to cost. They changed to something else.

Well done on your success so far. :)

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Update
Yes my surgery will provide a glucose monitoring system and yes they do prescribe accu check test strips but she isn't sure if they can prescribe the mobile test strips. I've pleaded my case - I like being able to download my results on the computer to see any trends - so we will see. I guess if not I can change to one of the systems they do support

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Results of fridays blood tests
Fasting venous bloods 6.5 Hba1c 39!!
Downside cholesterol up 6.3. Seems to be a reaction to the Lchf diet as has gone up from 3.9 to 5.5 then 6.3 since starting the diet

Reactions: daisyduck

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Results of fridays blood tests
Fasting venous bloods 6.5 Hba1c 39!!
Downside cholesterol up 6.3. Seems to be a reaction to the Lchf diet as has gone up from 3.9 to 5.5 then 6.3 since starting the diet
Great result :)
Check the breakdown of your cholesterol test. mine lowered and then raised on LCHF but it was the good HDL going up

Julia99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's the ldl but triglycerides are low so this is meant to be better. Still better raised cholesterol than high blood sugar I think

Reactions: daisyduck

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The test cassettes are on offer at Boots just now up to 40% off!