1. Find out how you can help us spread the word about the Diabetes Forum. Click HERE
  2. Hi there, Guest. Welcome to the forum!
    Need some guidance? Check out our Forum Video Guides

Newly diagnosed ?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by michaelhypno, Jul 12, 2011.

1. michaelhypno

michaelhypno Member

Hi

A year ago I was diagnosed with an impaired glucose tolerance.
    I recently had a blood test.
    The reading showed 7.3. and my Dr told me I am now probably diabetic type 2 but ordered a second blood test to confirm.
    I was phoned by the GPs reception a few days later and told I need to see the practice nurse. After asking she told me my read was again 7.3 but couldn’t give me an appointment with the nurse for 13 days. This is now about a week away.
    I have been proactive changing my diet and I have purchased a meter.

I used the meter for the first time first thing this morning before eating and got a reading of 6.7.
    My question is how often should I use the meter and when?
    Also what is a “normal Reading or what should I be aiming for?

I do feel tired and thirsty and a little down in the dumps

I would be really grateful for any advice

Thanks

Michael
  2. Gappy

Gappy Active Member

A quick hello, I haven't got a meter so can't answer that but do know you'll get plenty of good advice in the morning
  3. daisy1

daisy1 Moderator

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. You did a good thing buying a meter and starting testing. Here is some information which has been prepared by our friends Ken and Sue, former monitors, for new members and contains advice on when to test, levels you should aim for and diet. The levels quoted in here are the NICE recommendations and are maximum levels. If you can get your levels towards the lower end of these brackets it is better. Ask as many questions as you like as someone always has an answer.

4. michaelhypno

michaelhypno Member

Thank you that is really helpful

Michael
  5. SugarPop

SugarPop Member

Hello I am newly diagnosed, just this week - feeling ok about it. But hate to think of cutting down on my chocolate intake. Do most people have a blood test machine thing to check now and again their blood sugar or is it best to leave that to the nurse? I bought one to monitor mine and it was 5.1. Down from 8.5 when I had the fasting test a few weeks ago!! Anyway - hope to chat to you all sometime? Thanks Grace x
  6. daisy1

daisy1 Moderator

Hi Grace and welcome to the forum :) You did the right thing to buy yourself testing equipment as that is the only way you can look after yourself properly. One important thing you can do is to test before a meal then two hours afterwards to see which foods are suitable for you. If the levels are similar then what you have eaten is OK for you. If not, you will have to change the amount you eat of that particular food or not eat it again. Everyone is different so what suits one person may not suit you. If you haven't done so already, read the information that I posted above which will explain a lot of things to you. Here is a link to the updated version of this information as this is an old thread.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088#p155405

If you have any questions go ahead and ask as there is always someone who will have an answer for you.