newly diagnosed

jane mum

Last tuesday my 5 year old daughter was taken to hospital with a blood level of 30 and I was told she was type 1 diabeties. She is on 5 injections a day and is hoping to return to school full time tomorrow does anyone have any help for getting the finger tests done as this seems to be the most traumatic.

bettylollypop

Hi there, my son was 5 when diagnosed. At first he had a classroom assistant take him and test his blood sugar level before lunch, now he is doing it himself but supervised by a classroom assistant. At first i was worried sick how he would cope at school, but things went smoothly. Give the school an emergency box with lucozade, digestives etc. We have a home/school communication jotter in which we write any info for the teacher and she for us.

It is a very daunting time, however you will all get used to it in no time.

When is your daughter getting insulin, does she have to have it at school? My sons school were happy to test blood sugar but not give insulin. So he is on a programme of :

Morning when wakes - one injection of humalog 25
Dinner time: Fast acting insulin (one injection) - Novorapid
Slow release for night time (one injection) - Levemir

So his morning injection does him until dinner time, meaning school doesn't have inject, or i don'thave to go to school to inject.

Don't worry either about eating, my son has the same things as all the other children (maybe not as much), but he still has crisps and sweets . When he is out playing he can have extra as he burns it off.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Jane mum,
welcome to the forum, i'm sure your still in shock with the discovery that your daughter is diabetic, it does get easier. My son was diagnosed 3yrs ago at the age of 7, so i have a pretty good idea of how your feeling. There are plenty of Mums on here to help and support you, so feel free to ask as many questions as you want.
If you go onto the juvenille diabetes web site think its called jdf, they give out free Ruby/Rufus teddy bears, there large and adorable and have patches on there arms and legs for your child to do finger prick tests on and injections, it may help her to cope if she does ruby's bs then her own, kinda make a game of it, my son had a rufus bear in dungarees for boys and loved it.
5 injections a day is a lot for her and you to cope with, my son is on 4 a day with the odd correctional dose, Levemir at night and humalog with meals, we carb count.
Hope things get easier for you all soon, it's a real life changing experience, browse the forum and feel free to get back to me anytime,
With kindest regards,
Suzi x

Katharine

Many meters allow alternative site testing Eg the freestyle and the accheck nano.

This will give your daughter's fingers a rest.

howsitgoing

Hi Jane!

Yes it is a very difficult time, both my sons were diagnosed at the age of 18 months and three years old. As a type 1 myself for a very long time, I have always found the diabetics don't seem to mind injections, but truly hate blood testing.
Of course teachers are usually well trained, and can cope with most situations to do with diabetes. As you know children are very adaptable and usually cope very well, helped by school chums the exercise of monitoring blood makes them more interesting.
The only person who struggles with this nightmare of course is you, we all worry and are anxious that they will be alright, and of course 99.9% of the time they are.

Thinking of you!
Good luck!

Type One Devil :twisted: