Newly diagnosed

specz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jack412 I would be pleased with 4 if it didn't make me feel pants lol. I've had nothing but water all day. Finally managed to eat a few rich tea biscuits and take my metformin now so hopefully the worst of it is over.
Things would be easier if I could get my own testing machine but when I was diagnosed was told o didn't need to test as the metformin should control it. I've been borrowing a friends machine but they need it back now. Have emailed docs about machine and my concerns but heard nothing as yet. Will follow it up once I'm feeling better.
My better half is amazingly supportive bless him and think I would have lost the plot without him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi and welcome.
I cant say much more only stay with us,you are not alone.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Jack412 I would be pleased with 4 if it didn't make me feel pants lol. I've had nothing but water all day. Finally managed to eat a few rich tea biscuits and take my metformin now so hopefully the worst of it is over.
Things would be easier if I could get my own testing machine but when I was diagnosed was told o didn't need to test as the metformin should control it. I've been borrowing a friends machine but they need it back now. Have emailed docs about machine and my concerns but heard nothing as yet. Will follow it up once I'm feeling better.
My better half is amazingly supportive bless him and think I would have lost the plot without him.

I hope you feel better soon.

Most of us Type 2's buy our own meters as we find they are essential in helping us find a sustainable diet and checking which foods we personally can or can't cope with. They are essential if you want to control this disease. We are all told we don't need to test, but we know different.

Also, it is wrong that you were told Metformin will control it. It won't. Diet is the key. Metformin is mainly an appetite suppressant to help with weight loss. It also reduces the production of glucose by the liver and helps a little with insulin resistance, but all to a limited extent. It does very little to lower blood sugars and will not prevent spikes after eating unsuitable food.

Reactions: 4 people

specz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Bluetit1802 that's good to know thanks. I'm going to try and call the docs tomorrow to see if I can get a meter if not will invest anyway. Also I've only been checking it randomly so need to figure out a routine for testing. Thanks for the advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit1802 that's good to know thanks. I'm going to try and call the docs tomorrow to see if I can get a meter if not will invest anyway. Also I've only been checking it randomly so need to figure out a routine for testing. Thanks for the advice.

Test each morning after getting out of bed to keep an eye on general levels. If your fasting levels in a morning are higher than you like, sometimes it is best to also test at bedtime to see what is happening overnight.

To test out foods, test immediately before you eat, then at 2hrs after first bite. Look at the rise and decide if it is acceptable. If not acceptable, decide what caused it and tweak that meal next time, then test it again. It is advisable to keep any post meal rise under 2mmol/l, preferably under 1.5mmol/l. Keep a food diary including portion sizes and record the levels alongside so you can learn from them.
Some people (me included) also test at 1 hour after first bite and then again at 2 hours to make sure levels are on their way down and not on their way up. If on their way up, another test half an hour later may help.

Reactions: 4 people

specz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bluetit1802 that's great advice and will give at a go as soon as I feel better lol. Many thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @specz welcome :)

Lots of good advice above - also have a read of the top item linked in my sig below.

Good luck and ask any questions.

Pabloincampo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have just asked on another thread why are chickpeas,lentils and Houmous BAD and yet you recommend all these on your GOOD list. No wonder I am confused

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have just posted a query on another thread that said chickpeas Houmous and lentils were BAD and yet there they are on your GOOD list.. No wonder us newbies get confused and disheartened

Can you show me the list you are looking at.

Just googled Chickpeas 100gms = 63 carbs not good.

Neil

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat hummus (chickpeas, sesame seeds and oil) without a problem.
Lentils by themselves - definitely not.

A lot of it is about portion control, food combinations (fat and fibre slow absorption) and eating to your meter. What works for others may not work for you. Just test, write your results down, and you will quickly start seeing patterns emerge.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
The hummus I eat is labelled at 10.7g/100g and I only have a dollop (that's a technical term ;)) of it sometimes at lunch as part of a 'tapas' type plate. A lot better than eating a tub full with pitta bread which I used to!