NHS advice on low carbohydrate diets

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Atkins diet (of which I disapprove) is dismissed as a just 'fad diet' which is clearly a silly over-simplification and ignores the components of it which actually do operate and need to be understood. This is suppressing debate and understanding rather than assisting it. (And it would help if British nutrition academics would share with us the reasons why their consensus differs so sharply from that which is emerging among most of their American colleagues.)

The biggest hazard of low carb dieting seems to be turning into a low carb bore who can talk about nothing else. Apologies if the posting above is a symptom of this. And thanks again for all the useful replies.

Welcome to the low carb bore club..
Why on earth do you disapprove of Atkins? If anyone wants proof about the effects of ingesting glucose then I did an experiment this morning and did my own OGTT (Oral glucose tolerance test) My bloods spiked up to 12.8 (usually try to stay under 6 at all times).
I alo think you give too much credit to US nutrition academics. Most of them are still spouting "essential carbs" and other such guff. There are some voices in the wilderness but I still think they are few and far between.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I added information about diabetes control and this forum to the Atkins diet info on Wiki a few hours ago - it is now gone.
Maybe if they got a few thousand people all putting the same information and link onto the page they might start to change their minds about low carb being fad diet.

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
I added information about diabetes control and this forum to the Atkins diet info on Wiki a few hours ago - it is now gone.
Maybe if they got a few thousand people all putting the same information and link onto the page they might start to change their minds about low carb being fad diet.

Good for you!

Have you tried alerting the Wiki administrators to this? And also weighing in (no pun intended) on the discussion page? It sounds as if something is definitely wrong. Wiki allows all points of view to be expressed and will lock a page if it thinks this is being interfered with.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the low carb bore club..
Why on earth do you disapprove of Atkins? If anyone wants proof about the effects of ingesting glucose then I did an experiment this morning and did my own OGTT (Oral glucose tolerance test) My bloods spiked up to 12.8 (usually try to stay under 6 at all times).
I alo think you give too much credit to US nutrition academics. Most of them are still spouting "essential carbs" and other such guff. There are some voices in the wilderness but I still think they are few and far between.
Did your BG come down nicely?

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After about 2 1/2 hours it was at 4.1
That is pretty impressive. Would you consider then that you now have a normal insulin response and insulin resistance?
Not suggesting cured but those look really good figures.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is pretty impressive. Would you consider then that you now have a normal insulin response and insulin resistance?

If he doesn't, he is in denial about his good fortune - fasting insulin very low, FBG excellent, OGGT excellent. No way would he be diagnosed diabetic today.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really because I think that the 12.8 shows I still am "allergic" to carbs..but I really didn't expect anything else. According to the graph here
Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 16.45.38.png

I think I'm more like pattern 2 than "normal". But then again who wants to be normal...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops contradicted you already.. sorry
But as I have no way yet of measuring my insulin level and just taking blood sugar as a proxy.. who knows?
p.s. I just realised that the Kraft graphs are insulin levels.. I always assumed they were blood sugar.. what a d*ck.. duh!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not really because I think that the 12.8 shows I still am "allergic" to carbs..but I really didn't expect anything else. According to the graph here
View attachment 23727
I think I'm more like pattern 2 than "normal". But then again who wants to be normal...

That high spike you had early on I am sure was last meal effect - which is why everyone is advised to have the 150g carbs for a few days. It is a known phenomenon and with you being so low carb beforehand, you can't expect much else from your first phase response, but your second phase did the job.

Are there any standards for insulin levels post meals? Would it work if you did the fasting insulin test again, but after another Rapilose?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are there any standards for insulin levels post meals? Would it work if you did the fasting insulin test again, but after another Rapilose?

Not sure but I guess you would need bloods to be taken every 30 mins during the test to get the insulin results.. so will have to wait until we get home insulin meters!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good for you!

Have you tried alerting the Wiki administrators to this? And also weighing in (no pun intended) on the discussion page? It sounds as if something is definitely wrong. Wiki allows all points of view to be expressed and will lock a page if it thinks this is being interfered with.
I assumed that it was the administrators who removed the addition - I will bother them again.

gowlanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being judged
I received similar advice. I lost 4 stone in 3 months on a carefully constructed low carb diet, my diabetes went back into good control and then I had a check up with the heart consultant. On their advice I reintroduced carbs and now I am gaining weight, constantly hungry, sluggish and my blood sugar is too high again. Stick to low carb. I am going back to that way of eating again asap . Good luck xx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I received similar advice. I lost 4 stone in 3 months on a carefully constructed low carb diet, my diabetes went back into good control and then I had a check up with the heart consultant. On their advice I reintroduced carbs and now I am gaining weight, constantly hungry, sluggish and my blood sugar is too high again. Stick to low carb. I am going back to that way of eating again asap . Good luck xx

What reasoning did the heart consultant give for eating carbs?

Reactions: dbr10

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Have a look at advice on pioppi diet by lead cardioligist Aseem Malhotra. He's even being advised to have bodyguards due to his stance on not eating carbs and eating fat and protein...

He is in all papers recently. I suggest you ask your cardioligist what he knows about Aseem Malhotra advcating NOT to eat carbs....

Reactions: dbr10