NHS artificial pancreas roll out.

Ipodlistener

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots
All t1d in the uk will be offered HCL in the fullness of time. Just like Libre etc. There has to be a start point. Good things come to those who wait.

TheRightStuff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I wont be offered one as my hba1c is not above 58mmol?
300,000 type 1s in the UK.
I wonder what number/percentage of people with type 1 will be catered for with the 58mmol threshold criteria?
I'm some way of 58, but I guess if your hovering between 50-55 then this is an incentive for you to worsen your control and qualify for an artificial pancreas!
I think I would refuse if offered. The idea of having some kind of "machine" stuck to me just doesn't appeal . . I find the libre 2 sensors annoying enough.

How big are these "artificial pancreas" things anyway? I have visions, and the visons do not look good.

Reactions: Zinadane

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I would refuse if offered. The idea of having some kind of "machine" stuck to me just doesn't appeal . . I find the libre 2 sensors annoying enough.

How big are these "artificial pancreas" things anyway? I have visions, and the visons do not look good.
This is the sort of set up (with the libre 3) my colleague’s 3/4 year old has.
The kid’s been on it for about a year now…? https://www.ypsomed.com/en/diabetes-care-mylife.html

I’m not actually a fan of the term, “artificial pancreas.”
I heard this term for a pump 4 decades ago on the science program Tomorrows world? I feel if it was doing the job of a real pancreas, it would be installed into the body & a more autonomous in it’s reaction & function regarding diet & hormonal changes…

I feel we’re a long way off “that..”

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Zinadane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same, would want it. Well not yet anyway.
People do and it works for them.
I certainly don't like the idea of having a mechanical pump driven by software algorithms coming from a cgm which is not always accurate pumping insulin into me.
One day maybe and of course it is a step in the right direction.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same, would want it. Well not yet anyway.
People do and it works for them.
I certainly don't like the idea of having a mechanical pump driven by software algorithms coming from a cgm which is not always accurate pumping insulin into me.
One day maybe and of course it is a step in the right direction.
From what I gather.

If the CGM senses a drop in BG level representation in interstitial fluid, it stops the basal..
now I find for me the Libre pretty accurate.
What spooks me? Is the programmed algorithm cutting a set basal rate whilst there actually could be an active bolus causing the low…?
So I treat the hypo. I know how to treat this on MDI.
My colleague did have an issue with his son where the device cut off & his kid wound up in the 20s. I couldn’t help him (regarding the CLS pump. (I don’t pump.) & neither could the DSNs assigned to his kid?

At least on his behalf. There seems to be a lack of HCP training? From the feedback I get..
They are “blagging” it…

Reactions: Zinadane