NHS diet does it again.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
This is exactly what a new member has just posted.

I have been diagnosed as type 2 last week. Told to eat normally over the weekend then get a HbA1c test today, and following the test follow the heathy eating plan given to me by the Diabetes Nurse last week.
I tested before and after meals over the weekend when I was eating normally and go good steady readings of between 4.5 and 6. Tested tonight after following the heathy eating plan and got a reading of 8.9 after dinner!!! Why???
I'm feeling so stressed and confused, I have cried on and off all day and couldn't concentrate on my work, I feel like I'm in a complete nightmare.

It's a joke a very sick joke. :x

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Totally agree. :x

We all know there are some good HCP's out there but if the majority were doing their job properly, numbers would not be rising.

At some point next month I am attending a Diabetes event in South London. I intend to print out some posts from the Newly Diagnosed section (I commented on this the other day) and take it with me. As someone who has other health problems and has propped up a ventilator a few times, I have had plenty of contact with the NHS.

I cannot think of another illness/condition that is so widespread where the information given out is so appallingly sub-standard but what is worse is the state that people are being left in. "Stressed", "confused" are just from the poster highlighted above but these are frequent sentiments seen on that part of the forum, along with depressed and angry, confused being the main one. How can there be any justification for what is happening, either lousy advice or no follow up at all..the patient is just being left to get on with it!

There can be NO excuse for leaving newly diagnosed patients in such emotional distress yet it is happening every day.

Patient care at it's absolute worse. :x

evilcat

I thought I'd take a look at the new Sainsburys that opened up near me yesterday. Whilst waiting at the checkout I noticed a number of health related leaflets. As they had one on diabetes I thought I'd have a quick read and lo and behold there was the nice coloured pie chart and a long paragraph telling me that I should be eating a diet of 1/3 carbohydrates and 1/3 fruit and vegetables.

Recommended items included bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and fruit juice :roll:

The leaflet can be downloaded here if you want a frustrating read http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/food/h...nd_advice/downloadable+_leaflets/leaflets.htm

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Apart from the obvious benefits of actually helping new members it would be so helpful to people like me who like doing the initial new member intro posts to not constantly have to sound like some raving nutter who is out to kill people with their radical cut down on the starchy carb message.

It would be so nice if I didn't need to write "In some more enlightened countries etc. etc." in every post as a means of justifying things.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a letter from Spirit which is a firm that sent me a meter .It had the same plate for healthy eating .I was so angry that I threw it in the fire :!: On second thoughts I should have sent it back with a covering letter or at least posted it on here so that new ones could be warned
CAROL

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
xyzzy said:
This is exactly what a new member has just posted.

I have been diagnosed as type 2 last week. Told to eat normally over the weekend then get a HbA1c test today, and following the test follow the heathy eating plan given to me by the Diabetes Nurse last week.
I tested before and after meals over the weekend when I was eating normally and go good steady readings of between 4.5 and 6. Tested tonight after following the heathy eating plan and got a reading of 8.9 after dinner!!! Why???
I'm feeling so stressed and confused, I have cried on and off all day and couldn't concentrate on my work, I feel like I'm in a complete nightmare.

It's a joke a very sick joke. :x

Don't cry, take a deep breath. You were very likely to have been given incorrect advice. Can you tell us what they told you to eat? Tell us exactly what you ate over the weekend and I am sure we can help you here.

In order to control your diabetes you need to strongly reduce your carbohydrate foods. Eat proteins and fats, with good salads and greens. It works.

Camilla

Dislikes
Negative people with closed minds.
evilcat said:
I thought I'd take a look at the new Sainsburys that opened up near me yesterday. Whilst waiting at the checkout I noticed a number of health related leaflets. As they had one on diabetes I thought I'd have a quick read and lo and behold there was the nice coloured pie chart and a long paragraph telling me that I should be eating a diet of 1/3 carbohydrates and 1/3 fruit and vegetables.

The leaflet can be downloaded here if you want a frustrating read http://www2.sainsburys.co.uk/food/h...nd_advice/downloadable+_leaflets/leaflets.htm

All appallingly wrong advice. It is such a shame that official advice is simply never going to help diabetics. If I ate according to that I would now be on several tablets and into dangerously high numbers. We have to think for ourselves. Reading all that brought me out in a rash! These people do not know what diabetes actually is!

BeccaJaneStClair

I decided to join Diabetes UK officially and sent off my forms to give them £3/month. In exchange, I got to pick a booklet and I asked them to send me the "Favourite Recipes" book....and guess what it says under recommended portions? 7-14 portions of starchy food per day! OUTRAGEOUS!

The suggested portions are:
2-4TBS cereal
2-3TBS rice, pasta, cous-cous, noodles, mash potato
1 slice bread
half a small chapatti
2 new potatoes or half a baked potato
2-3 crispbread or crackers

Uhm. I'm lucky if I have ONE of those things per day.

Also every single Diabetic cookbook I've picked up recently doesn't mention low carb.

But it's working for so many of us it just doesn't make sense!

Defren

Time and time again we see the evidence of the NHS diet for T2. It is slowly but surely killing those who follow it believing it is the right path, and the NHS is always right.

I will never understand how a HCP who gives out this information sleep at night, knowing the patient who receives it will have sky high BG and all the associates complications we know about.

It's a disgraceful state of affairs that the people charged with looking after our best interests, are not, and thousands are paying for the erroneous advice handed out dozens of times a day up and down the country.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Know any good lawyers, to take a class action against the NHS/DUK for dangerous diet advice?

It might at least provide the publicity we need.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
IanD said:
Know any good lawyers, to take a class action against the NHS/DUK for dangerous diet advice?

It might at least provide the publicity we need.

Coo this is an old one to wake up but well worth it if I can bash DUK and their starchy carbs some more. Haven't done that for at least a couple of days :lol:

I do agree with you Ian a class action against DUK would be good but I expect with Kellogg's backing them they could afford better lawyers than us...

SouthernGeneral6512

evilcat said:

Are they trying to wipe us out :sick:

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Things are not much different here in the U.S. The diabetes education people are off their rocker! When I asked why they don't check insulin levels they said "It's just too expensive." My research says if they were checking insulin levels, then someone could be detected with rising insulin levels up to 15 years before they actually developed full type 2 diabetes. Instead, they check your blood sugar when your fasting. This is why I had type 2 diabetes for over 10 years and no doctor caught it. I already had peripheral neuropathy in the feet, which 4 doctors could not figure out why me feet were numb. I diagnosed myself on the internet! Then I got an HbA1c, which was about 12. 6.5 is diabetic in the U.S. scale.

At ADA diabetes training they said "We don't know what causes diabetes and there is no cure." I asked why do you give drugs that raise insulin levels to type 2 diabetics, when they are already hyperinsulemic? They said "Because we don't know what else to do." I asked "Aren't you afraid of causing more medical problems from high insulin levels?" They said "We know of no problems from high insulin levels." I said "Don't you know high insulin is what causes type 2 diabetes in the first place, won't this just make the insulin resistance worse?" answer "It may even lower your insulin levels, we don't know." Believe me, it doesn't lower your insulin levels it only raises them and makes your insulin resistance even worse, so you need more and more drugs. Earth to healthcare providers - you don't treat a nutritional disease with drugs. Diabetes isn't a Metformin deficiency. It's a disease caused by too high of insulin levels, from eating too many high glycemic carbohydrates. Period. I asked "Why don't you teach the glycemic index or loads of foods? They said "That's something that was used about 10 years ago, but it's not used anymore." That's a lie because glycemic index has never been used by ADA educators, far as I know, and I've been going to these useless diabetes education classes, taught by unenlightened health care workers, for the last 13 years and it hasn't changed at all. Check this out, written in 2008, nothing has been done to address this in the U.S.:

From - The World Health Organization Report #916

“Nutrition is coming to the fore as a major modifiable determinant of chronic disease, with scientific evidence increasingly supporting the view that alterations in diet have strong effects, both positive and negative, on health throughout life. Most importantly, dietary adjustments may not only influence present health, but may determine whether or not an individual will develop such diseases as cancer, cardiovascular disease and diabetes much later in life. However, these concepts have not led to a change in policies or in practice. In many developing countries, food policies remain focused only on undernutrition and are not addressing the prevention of chronic disease.

It has been projected that, by 2020, chronic diseases will account for almost three-quarters of all deaths worldwide, and that 71% of deaths due to ischaemic heart disease (IHD), 75% of deaths due to stroke, and 70% of deaths due to diabetes will occur in developing countries (4). The number of people in the developing world with diabetes will increase by more than 2.5-fold, from 84 million in 1995 to 228 million in 2025 (5). On a global basis, 60% of the burden of chronic diseases will occur in developing countries. Indeed, cardiovascular diseases are even now more numerous in India and China than in all the economically developed countries in the world put together (2). As for overweight and obesity, not only has the current prevalence already reached unprecedented levels, but the rate at which it is annually increasing in most developing regions is substantial (3). The public health implications of this phenomenon are staggering, and are already becoming apparent.” http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/who_trs_916.pdf

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
robertconroy said:
Things are not much different here in the U.S. The diabetes education people are off their rocker!

Robert I do agree but in the spirit of the Olympics then your rubbish health advice is slightly better than our rubbish :lol:

For example your lot say

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/grains-and-starchy-vegetables.html

About a quarter of your plate should come from starchy foods. Remember, only the depth of a deck of cards! This is usually about ¾ to 1 cup of a starchy food.

Our lot say

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/starchy-foods.aspx

try to ensure starchy foods make up about a third of your diet.

and says that in a highlighted section that warns you not to do the one thing that loads of us have found actually works! By the way 6% of our diet can also apparently come from battenburg cake, jam sponge, chocolate, sugary cola, sweets, biscuits, and chemically extracted oils.

To trump it all our major diabetic organisation DUK that sets a lot of the diabetic position statements is sponsored by Kellogg's who I believe have been prosecuted in the US for promoting sugary cereals as a healthy choice for children.

Beat that :lol:

sallylondon

Just a quick note to say that Diabetes UK say that Kellogg's is not a sponsor any more. I sent them an email asking about it and this is part of the response I received.

A list of our corporate partners are included in our Annual Report which is available to view at: www.diabetes.org.uk/annual-report . The report reflects the work of Diabetes UK in the last 12 months. It celebrates our achievements and highlights some of the ways we plan to make an impact during 2012 and beyond.

If you refer to page 14 you will see a full list of Diabetes UK ‘s corporate partners during 2011. You will see from this list that we are not currently working with Kellogg’s.

Corporate partnerships are extremely important to Diabetes UK and they play a valuable role in ensuring we are able to fund our work. We welcome the opportunity to work with a diverse range of companies and ensure that each potential partnership undergoes a risk assessment by the senior management team.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My Mum [a T2 aged 94!] told me last week that I shouldn't talk to people about low carbing, since I'm not a doctor and one day someone will beat me up for it.
My brother[a vet] says I'm right and he'd never advise the owner of a diabetic pet to feed it a high carb diet.
Hana

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
sallylondon said:
Just a quick note to say that Diabetes UK say that Kellogg's is not a sponsor any more. I sent them an email asking about it and this is part of the response I received.

Good work. They seem to have got rid of the carbohydrate mongers, now they're mainly sponsored by Big Pharma and people selling diets:
  • Bupa
  • Abbott Healthcare Products
  • Bunzl
  • Canderel
  • Focus Wealth
  • Kwik Fit
  • Lilly UK
  • Merck Serono
  • Morphy Richards
  • Neopost
  • Novartis Pharmaceuticals UK
  • Novo Nordisk
  • Pfizer
  • Roche
  • Rosemary Conley Diet & Fitness
  • Rowlands Pharmacy
  • Sanofi
  • Splenda
  • Tesco Diets
  • Thames Wharf

Positive step though...

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
Morphy Richards doesn't surprise me though-us Diabetics need our toasters to follow the DUK diet after all...

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Paul1976 said:
Morphy Richards doesn't surprise me though-us Diabetics need our toasters to follow the DUK diet after all...

:lol:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
sallylondon said:

A list of our corporate partners are included in our Annual Report which is available to view at: http://www.diabetes.org.uk/annual-report . The report reflects the work of Diabetes UK in the last 12 months. It celebrates our achievements and highlights some of the ways we plan to make an impact during 2012 and beyond.

If you refer to page 14 you will see a full list of Diabetes UK ‘s corporate partners during 2011. You will see from this list that we are not currently working with Kellogg’s.

Corporate partnerships are extremely important to Diabetes UK and they play a valuable role in ensuring we are able to fund our work. We welcome the opportunity to work with a diverse range of companies and ensure that each potential partnership undergoes a risk assessment by the senior management team.

Well that's some good news but perhaps they should update their site as they still list Kelloggs :problem:

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Get_involved/Corporate/Acknowledgements/

Thanks Sally.