29 June 2011
NHS faces 'diabetes time bomb'
Blood sugar test High blood sugar levels can damage the body
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Diabetes rate 'doubles' worldwide
Type 2 diabetes 'can be reversed'
Diabetes and diet

The health service could face a "diabetes time bomb" according to an audit of patients in England and Wales.

The report says 800,000 Type 1 and Type 2 patients have elevated blood sugar levels which could lead to kidney failure, limb amputation and stroke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13928359

C

catherinecherub

So if they cannot give proper care to the Type1's and Type 2's that have been diagnosed, then how are they going to cope with the new cases that are waiting to be diagnosed?
Back to the drawing board?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I looked at the report, what I found particularly shocking was that whilst more than 90% of people had HbA1c, BP and weight checked yearly, it was the other checks that weren't done (particularly kidney function tests) Yet these people must have visited their doctors at least once a year. Why don't they do the tests/checks at the same time?

It is incredible that only 20% of T1s aged 16-39 had all the checks. ( T1 aged40-84 years it was 34.2 per cent; T 2 ,was 35.5 per cent and 51.3 per cent respectively for the same age groups.)
http://www.ic.nhs.uk/webfiles/Services/ ... 8_2009.pdf

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
I have high blood pressure and have had for years I take meds and have a yearly blood test for kidney function, nobody bothered to do a BS test at the same time so until I had urine infections nobody knew I could have been walking around for at least 4 years without any other symptoms that I recognised anyway (I realise now that it was why I had carpal tunnel problems last year and a funny feeling under one of my toes! ) But who knows the symptoms of diabetes if you ask anyone it would be going to the loo more I would think - I didn't do that. If Doctors doing any blood test for anything just added Blood Sugar measurement to the test I am sure they would catch a lot more before they got too high. That is too much common sense to actually happen though. I also understand that there is some possible connection with High Blood Pressure - they should at least check all of those people. The NHS is slowly falling apart I am afraid. Ticking boxes is now the thing. :thumbdown:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Why do the ALWAYS show blood testing on the finger tips? Is it so they can say, "blood testing makes your fingers sore, so we don't recommend it?"

At 72 (11+ years diagnosed) I get a lot of tests - I ask for them - only the retina screening folk send for me. Tests include kidney function (slightly reduced but stable), foot, BMI (26), HbA1c (6.3 - we had a glut of cooking apples), lipids (5+ total chol) so I have no concerns about my care,

BUT

I get 3 repeat prescriptions lodged with the pharmacist - 3x 2 months - 3 tests a day. My previous repeat prescriptions included 100 each of 2 types - I keep a meter at home & in the car. I was surprised that there were none issued last time, so I put in my request. "You are only allowed one type." I was issued with 50.

I immediately thought of the Lord's parable of the embezzling steward in Luke 16:

5 So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?
6 And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.

I measure every morning & often twice more - driving, before & after sport, if I feel unwell, etc. Four years ago, complications threatened my active life - debilitating muscle pains, extreme tiredness & the beginning of retina damage. My tests were averaging about 7 & HbA1c 6.7. The Dr with all his training & tests could only suggest referral to the hospital, so I looked on line - & thanks to this forum, learned about the dangers of the DUK diet so I started low carb.

As a result all complications have been overcome, but I still need to test. Surely it is in the interests of the NHS that we stay well, rather than drift ignorantly into complications.

A consultant told a blind friend with HbA1c of about 10, in my presence, that readings of 10-20 were no problem unless she felt unwell. Her nurse comes to give insulin & measures BG every day & ignores all the readings - average about 14.

At an X-PERT follow up meeting, one had had heart trouble. He was assured there was no need to test - Dr would do HbA1c regularly. I asked what "regular" meant - Annual :evil:

Of course diabetes is a time-bomb with such professional ignorance.

M.Diriye

Quite frankly, I think this article is dissapointing to read. I don't think the NHS or the government (or the last few?) have taken diabetes, or most chronic conditions for that matter, seriously! I'm studying psychology at the moment & the findings I read from some studies that look at the experiences of people with such conditions is really sad.

How they perceive themselves & how they try to keep going, is significantly influenced by how the government, health officials & others around them perceive the condition. To say much more awareness & seriousness needs to be given to the approach to these conditions & the individuals who have them is a bit of an understatement.