Laura66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone, I'm looking for your views and opinions on the NICE type 1 and type 2 guidelines for a presentation that I'm giving at the Diabetes UK Professional Conference next month.

(Type 1 https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng17)

(Type 2 https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28)

A few suggestions are...

Are the guidelines important to you as a patient or carer? Please expand on your answer if you can.

Are the guidelines in line with what you expect in order to manage your diabetes?

Is the Type 1 HbA1c target realistic? Will it add pressure to you and the way you self manage? Will be beneficial to you?

How do you think the guidelines affect the care you receive?

Please feel free to add any thoughts, views, experiences, opinions etc and please share this within your communities - the more answers the better. Thank you in advance for your comments - they will be really helpful in shaping my presentation.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-6_14-8-47.png
    upload_2016-2-6_14-8-47.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 302
  • upload_2016-2-6_14-8-47.png
    upload_2016-2-6_14-8-47.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 301

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are the guidelines important to you as a patient or carer? Please expand on your answer if you can.
Yes, they govern what my GP and care team can or cannot do to help me manage my condition.

Are the guidelines in line with what you expect in order to manage your diabetes?
No they do not reflect current knowledge of the disease, and are always lagging behind current practice. This year i was pleasantly surprised in that they now for the first time place the patient into the centre of the care plan.

Is the Type 1 HbA1c target realistic? Will it add pressure to you and the way you self manage? Will be beneficial to you?
i am not T1, As a T2D i managed to reach my target the week before 2015 publication date, so v. pleased. Having a target is good, in my opinion. Someone has to draw the line. At least we all seek the same goal,

How do you think the guidelines affect the care you receive?
Adversly. Guidelines govern training and thus future care, which gets set in concrete. Although I am achieving target, there is resistance by support team because I am not doing it their way, and they know best. Do they? They have become inflexible because the guidelines force them to think and act in a certain way. they treat the guidelines as Regulations and cannot deviate for fear of reprisal.