night time waking/toilet/dry mouth

dmcd11

Im in my mid 50's, have t2, take 500mg of metformin and 10mg of atorvastatin.
my blood sugar level is good (45) my cholesterol is 5.6 so the tests seem good
yet each night, I wake up at least twice, this has been happening for weeks now
sometimes very hot, sometimes for the toilet
my mouth always dry and my lips cracking
I take my tablets about 6pm at night and only have one glass of water in the evening (I drink more water during the day so I have enough)
I am overweight (by approx 4 stone)
If my blood sugar and cholesterol is ok.............why am I waking and getting such strong symptoms?
Has this happened to anyone else on the forum?
Any advice please?
Ive booked to see my gp but the earliest appt I could get was mid April

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I may be wrong but thirst wakes me up too, I wonder if snoring with our mouths open may be doing it, just a thought

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 23 and type 1. My sugar levels are slowly becoming more stable but I also have this problem, not every night admittedly but more often than not! Also I have really dry skin in random places!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm over weight enough to snore and sleep with my mouth open - so dry mouth at night has been an annoyance for years. I've tried a number of things; water beside the bed, special mouth washes, lip salve... and (most shocking of all) weight loss.

They've had mixed results. At the moment, I'm going through a drink-lots-of-water phase, having just read a book on drinking enough. The ghist is that everyone should drink 1oz of water/tea/squash/juice for every pound they weigh. That equates to approx 2 litres a day if you weigh 10 stone. Double that for 20 stone!

It took a week to adjust to so much fluid, but then i felt subtly different, in a good way. Interestingly, now that I am drinking enough through the day, my mouth is less dry at night. It has made me realise that several cups of tea a day simply were not enough for my body, and i was mildly dehydrated for years = a drier mouth at night, and less available saliva. I just have to remember to stop drinking about 9pm, otherwise I get up several times during the night.

D

Deleted member 43917

I keep waking up horribly dehydrated too, and needing to wee. It definitely relates to me having carbs because I notice it happens more if I have any bread. As for drinking enough in the day, I will try and drink more and see if that makes any difference.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's probably not the snoring. I used to have obstructive sleep apnea but have used a cpap machine for years and have it helped me enormously. I slept right through or woke up for the loo maybe once. Shortly before my diagnosis for diabetes, I was up several times with a dry mouth, feeling as if I needed the loo, but it was more imagined than real, but it wasn't the snoring. My BGs and my cholesterol are near normal now. So is my BP. I'm still up 2 or 3 times per night.

There was a radio article about it a couple of weeks ago and a lot of it is habitual. You get in the habit when you have uncontrolled diabetes and it's hard to get out of even when the diabetes becomes controlled. There were lots of suggestions such a not drinking after 7pm or even peeing into a measuring jug so that one could see the next morning exactly how little water one was passing. It seems to be more psychological and advice was to not give into the urge, because the urge is usually false, but to roll over and attempt to sleep. My experience is that if you make a real attempt to go to sleep, it keeps you awake.

This is not exclusive to diabetics however. It's something called overactive bladder syndrome.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Overact ... ndrome.htm

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunneria said:
Interestingly, now that I am drinking enough through the day, my mouth is less dry at night. It has made me realise that several cups of tea a day simply were not enough for my body, and i was mildly dehydrated for years = a drier mouth at night, and less available saliva.

Yes keeping yourself hydrated during the day is important. Tea however is a diuretic and like coffee needs to be balanced with extra water to compensate. It's the caffein that causes it.