Nighttime highs after eating late

sekv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
I'm now 20 weeks and 3 days pregnant and on MDIs. In the last week I've had some high highs during the night (15.6 last night!!) I didn't eat dinner until 9pm but levels were 7.8 an hour after eating.
Has anybody else had this? I'm not sure if it's due to eating so late or just coincidence with my insulin needs increasing as I have struggled with a few highs during today as well.
Thanks

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @sekv i was pumping through both pregnancies but suffered from dawn phenomenon so had to increase insulin from midnight onwards. What time were you 15.6? Did you correct? Was it something unusual for tea? I used to set my alarm to test twice a night. My sugars go up a lot between 3-5am. Is it just during the night? You need more insulin defo in the last trimester I had probably 3 times more than I have when I wasn't pregnant. Congratulations it's hard work but worth it x

sekv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @1Sarah1, thank you for your response. Nothing too unusual to eat - I had some French stick as I'd had a big picky picnic earlier on in the day. It was at 3:45am that I tested to find them high although looking back, I did keep waking up a few times really thirsty but didn't but 2 and 2 together. I had 2 units to correct and levels were down to 5.9 this morning although have increasingly risen throughout the day despite multiple corrections. Finally I'm down to 4.6 now so I've upped my background insulin another 2 units. Hopefully today has just been a blip. I've set myself an alarm at 2am to see how they going tonight.. Fingers crossed!

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @sekv insulin resistance can start to go up around 20w so keep a close check on bgs - which you will be doing anyway - as you may need to start increasing doses now xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

sekv

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks @Mrsass it has slowed down a little now and I've had to drop by background a couple of units again. But still on more than I was.
It's so strange how much the doses need to increase. I find it hard taking now over double my prepregnancy breakfast insulin - always worried I'm going to end up hypoing! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum