No lifeguards at swimming pool

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
Three months ago I was seriously ill and have now ended up on insulin. I always swam 2/3 times a week up to that point. I now wish to start swimming again but am a bit concerned as the gym/pool I go to {Nuffield Health} do not use lifeguards. When I enquired today about dilemma They said if you are in trouble {hypo is my worry}I would have to get out of the pool and summon help. Is this safe or should I go to a public baths where they have lifeguards?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Three months ago I was seriously ill and have now ended up on insulin. I always swam 2/3 times a week up to that point. I now wish to start swimming again but am a bit concerned as the gym/pool I go to {Nuffield Health} do not use lifeguards. When I enquired today about dilemma They said if you are in trouble {hypo is my worry}I would have to get out of the pool and summon help. Is this safe or should I go to a public baths where they have lifeguards?
Public pool if they can't be bothered to ensure safety in their pool. Many non diabetics can get in trouble in pools, so personally I think its best to use a pool with lifeguards...

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would have though it was a pre-requisite to have lifeguards on all public pools, does the H & S not specify this?

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
That's what I had thought. Public baths are just more restrictive on swimming times and are often full of children. In the long run costs more than my monthly subscription to the health center.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you've answered your own question, really.

I usually prefer to use public baths because of this problem. I'm type 1 and therefore it is possible that I could suffer a hypo and be unaware, which would put me at risk in a swimming pool. I wear diabetes ID silicon wristbands when I swim. Swimming is my main form of exercise. Interestingly, it doesn't always lower my blood sugar, sometimes it raises it considerably and then drops like a stone later in the day. Swimming slower might help this problem.

In the past, I used a gite swimming pool, when on holiday, but even there, I preferred to swim when my husband was nearby.

( I was actually more concerned there that the pool might not be safe from a quality of water point of view, and, in fact, I was really ill with a stomach-upset the week after the holiday. Though I can't prove any link between the private pool and my stomach-bug, I still wonder, and it has made me more disinclined to use any pool that isn't tested on a regular basis.)

At my local pool, I was really struck by the expertise and rapid-response of the lifeguards on duty when, one day, a swimmer got into difficulty. It made me even more aware of how, diabetic or not, it's safer to swim in a lifeguarded pool. I like the idea of wild swimming and sea-swimming, but personally, I'm not a sufficiently strong swimmer to risk it without company, and being diabetic, I get my swimming exercise where there are lifeguards.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
Thanks for your reply. Yes I think you are quite right. I would rather be safe. As for out door pools , they can give you something called Kryptos spyridium (not sure on spelling). it causes diarrhoea for some time and is reportable to environmental health.

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
How many lifeguards are required at each pool? Why does my local pool have no lifeguard supervision?

Given the wide range of pool facilities and the ways pools are used, it is not possible to make specific recommendations for lifeguard numbers. Pool operators need to consider how many lifeguards are required or whether constant poolside supervision is required. This is done through a risk assessment, and aided by the guidelines set down in HSE’s Managing health and safety in swimming pools.

A risk assessment may find that constant supervision is not required. In these circumstances, a member of staff will need to be ‘on call’ and able to respond immediately to emergencies whenever the pool is in use. It is essential that these staff are trained in pool rescue, CPR techniques and first aid.
(from Health and Safety Executive}

Reactions: 2 people

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
I'm a lifeguard and I work for the main pool operator in our area.

Pools have to be tested a minimum of 3 times a day regardless of whether it's life guarded or not. Also environmental health turns up and does there own water test once a month to make sure it's safe etc.

Also kryptosporidium is transferred though poo. It's one of the only bacteria chlorine can't kill which is why pools are shut when someone poos in the pool. If it's solid your safe, if not I'd advise you exit lol.

As for no lifeguards, I don't think that's a good idea. I've seen many an incident where if there was no lifeguard present then it would have been game over lol.

Cheers
Craig

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
I have frozen my membership at the moment as My health and diabetes is unstable. The gym assured me that all staff are trained in CPR and the taking of blood sugars. At the moment I feel too vulnerable and value my life too much

Kerr1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes...
If you were based in Scotland I would suggest joining our health club haha.

2 lifeguards on pool, many staff members hanging around and massive panic buttons everywhere so you would be perfectly safe :p lol

Some do cut corners though, Bannatynes being one of them lol

Cheers
Craig