No spike after a PB&J

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So It is that time of the month and I just really needed something sweet (dark chocolate wasn't going to cut it this time) so I made a peanut butter and jam sandwich using 1 slice of wholemeal & rye bread, peanut butter which no added sugars, and a low sugar jam and had it with a coffee with unsweetened coconut milk.

My bloods before were 7.4, 30 minutes later I was at 7.8 (I took it twice to make sure). I had expected to see a spike from having this and I'm just wondering if anyone can shed light on this for me.

Is 30 minutes long enough to see a spike? How instant is a spike when consuming carbs/sugar?

Was the protein of the peanut butter enough to prevent a large spike?

Is Metformin doing a really good job of keeping my sugar levels stable?

It is not going to make me feel its OK to eat badly but knowing I don't have to stress myself out over every bit of food I eat (which can trigger disordered eating for me) would be great. So im just wondering how accurate this might be or if I'm testing wrong!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you test at 2hrs? That for me would be the important number - even none diabetics can spike into double figures within the 2 hrs from first bite, it’s how your body copes with it from 2 hrs onwards that’s important for people with T2 as none diabetics would be back to where they were or better before eating.

You are looking for a rise of no more than 2 2 hrs after first bite, I personally aim for 1.5. If you are less than the 2 rise or back to where you were then that food is probably ok for you

Mind you I can eat a slice of low carb bread with some peanut butter without it affecting my BG.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul_

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So It is that time of the month and I just really needed something sweet (dark chocolate wasn't going to cut it this time) so I made a peanut butter and jam sandwich using 1 slice of wholemeal & rye bread, peanut butter which no added sugars, and a low sugar jam and had it with a coffee with unsweetened coconut milk.

My bloods before were 7.4, 30 minutes later I was at 7.8 (I took it twice to make sure). I had expected to see a spike from having this and I'm just wondering if anyone can shed light on this for me.

Is 30 minutes long enough to see a spike? How instant is a spike when consuming carbs/sugar?

Was the protein of the peanut butter enough to prevent a large spike?

Is Metformin doing a really good job of keeping my sugar levels stable?

It is not going to make me feel its OK to eat badly but knowing I don't have to stress myself out over every bit of food I eat (which can trigger disordered eating for me) would be great. So im just wondering how accurate this might be or if I'm testing wrong!
When fingerprick testing, it's generally advised to wait 2 hours from your first mouthful before testing. It can sometimes be useful to test during that 2 hours as well, just to check the food in question isn't causing a huge spike in blood glucose, but the 2 hour mark test is the key one.

When it comes to how you handle foods from a blood glucose perspective, fibre, protein and fat slows down the digestion of carbohydrate. This may result in a lower peak blood glucose, however it can also result in you being at an elevated blood glucose level for longer due to the carbs being digested slower.

• Agree
Reactions: HSSS and lovinglife

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you test at 2hrs? That for me would be the important number - even none diabetics can spike into double figures within the 2 hrs from first bite, it’s how your body copes with it from 2 hrs onwards that’s important for people with T2 as none diabetics would be back to where they were or better before eating.

You are looking for a rise of no more than 2 2 hrs after first bite, I personally aim for 1.5. If you are less than the 2 rise or back to where you were then that food is probably ok for you

Mind you I can eat a slice of low carb bread with some peanut butter without it affecting my BG.
I will do in an hour when it has been 2 hours. I just thought I would spike instantly with it, I'm still learning and feel I might be a bit lost without this forum :)

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When fingerprick testing, it's generally advised to wait 2 hours from your first mouthful before testing. It can sometimes be useful to test during that 2 hours as well, just to check the food in question isn't causing a huge spike in blood glucose, but the 2 hour mark test is the key one.

When it comes to how you handle foods from a blood glucose perspective, fibre, protein and fat slows down the digestion of carbohydrate. This may result in a lower peak blood glucose, however it can also result in you being at an elevated blood glucose level for longer due to the carbs being digested slower.
Yes, see I knew that I think I'm just getting excited at the thought of being able to have something I used to love, and thought I'd have to eliminate, without it affecting me too much. I will be checking at the 2 hour mark when it comes round!

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, see I knew that I think I'm just getting excited at the thought of being able to have something I used to love, and thought I'd have to eliminate, without it affecting me too much. I will be checking at the 2 hour mark when it comes round!
Don't lose hope, you haven't done the 2 hour test yet! :)

We're all different when it comes to tolerances. Some people can only have 20g of carbs a day, some can have 50g, and I've even seen people saying they can have 100g or more. Our level of insulin resistance is different for everyone and the foods we do/don't tolerate are different too. You're doing the responsible thing, which is also the most effective thing for managing diabetes with diet - testing. If that test doesn't go the way you want for this, you could also try a low carb bread. There are always ways and means with most things!

Lastly, just to pick up on a question in your first post, metformin doesn't act to reduce blood glucose for foods you eat. Metformin reduces the amount of glucose that your liver pumps out into your system, so it reduces the "topping up" effect of the liver on your blood glucose level.

Reactions: HSSS

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rushkami
It's good to learn, but do remember all our bodies are unique to us, and do not work exactly the same, not to each other, and not even to themselves day by day. Any test done 2 hours after is really like trying to pin the tail in the donkey while blindfolded. You might be close, or wide of the mark, or spot on. Trying to pin down a spike is tricky.
If you can afford the strips, and have enough fingers you can prick whenever you want to get a better picture.
The before eating and 2 hours after are guides but not exact.
It gets fascinating monitoring ones own body. Some get overly obsessed by it..

Remember too that bg can be affected by many things, food being the main, but stress, exertion, lack of sleep, illness, medications and more can all affect it too.

You'll only get to understand your body with many more tests over many weeks.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, rather congratulate you on your enthusiasm but get you to realise one test of one food at one time only tells you what is happening then. In a few minutes it may all change again.
Welcome to the wonderful world of bg!

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't lose hope, you haven't done the 2 hour test yet! :)

We're all different when it comes to tolerances. Some people can only have 20g of carbs a day, some can have 50g, and I've even seen people saying they can have 100g or more. Our level of insulin resistance is different for everyone and the foods we do/don't tolerate are different too. You're doing the responsible thing, which is also the most effective thing for managing diabetes with diet - testing. If that test doesn't go the way you want for this, you could also try a low carb bread. There are always ways and means with most things!

Lastly, just to pick up on a question in your first post, metformin doesn't act to reduce blood glucose for foods you eat. Metformin reduces the amount of glucose that your liver pumps out into your system, so it reduces the "topping up" effect of the liver on your blood glucose level.
Thanks. I wasn't sure about the Metformin and how that would affect in this situation. I keep thinking I have things straight in my head and then confuse myself. All a learning curve :)

Reactions: Paul_

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And, over time, you might well find out the pb is good, just maybe not the bread, or even the jam

Reactions: Rushkami

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rushkami
It's good to learn, but do remember all our bodies are unique to us, and do not work exactly the same, not to each other, and not even to themselves day by day. Any test done 2 hours after is really like trying to pin the tail in the donkey while blindfolded. You might be close, or wide of the mark, or spot on. Trying to pin down a spike is tricky.
If you can afford the strips, and have enough fingers you can prick whenever you want to get a better picture.
The before eating and 2 hours after are guides but not exact.
It gets fascinating monitoring ones own body. Some get overly obsessed by it..

Remember too that bg can be affected by many things, food being the main, but stress, exertion, lack of sleep, illness, medications and more can all affect it too.

You'll only get to understand your body with many more tests over many weeks.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, rather congratulate you on your enthusiasm but get you to realise one test of one food at one time only tells you what is happening then. In a few minutes it may all change again.
Welcome to the wonderful world of bg!
Ha ha no that's all good, no bubbles burst. Thanks, I am enjoying learning how things work for me which is giving me some positives of the whole situation!

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I wasn't sure about the Metformin and how that would affect in this situation. I keep thinking I have things straight in my head and then confuse myself. All a learning curve :)
It's a massive learning curve, don't feel bad about getting things "wrong", we've all done it. As @MrsA2 said, the factors affecting BG are a bit of a moving target at times, so it's easy to do.

Keep up the good work, keep going with the improvements, and don't ever worry about asking anything that's bothering you!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rushkami I’ve just read this thread and seen how interested you are in your numbers and how food affects them. I’m a bit of a number nerd and use a Free Style Libre, they are very expensive but Abbott offer a free fourteen day trial. Maybe something to consider after Christmas. You’ll see exactly when a spike occurs, how high it goes and how long it lasts. Eat your normal low carb for the first week to see how you’re doing, then second week experiment with things like your PB & J sandwich

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rushkami I’ve just read this thread and seen how interested you are in your numbers and how food affects them. I’m a bit of a number nerd and use a Free Style Libre, they are very expensive but Abbott offer a free fourteen day trial. Maybe something to consider after Christmas. You’ll see exactly when a spike occurs, how high it goes and how long it lasts. Eat your normal low carb for the first week to see how you’re doing, then second week experiment with things like your PB & J sandwich
I'll definitely look into it!

Reactions: Rachox

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will do in an hour when it has been 2 hours. I just thought I would spike instantly with it, I'm still learning and feel I might be a bit lost without this forum :)
As said previously, the fat and the fibre can slow down a peak or turn a spike into a low slow rise. Keep testing until you return to normal/pre eating levels to see the overall patterns and do it a couple of times before being sure it’s ok.

Reactions: Rushkami