Non diabetic drugs that lower blood sugar.

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently been prescribed Bupropian hydrochloride or Wellbutrin XL (North America) and in the UK it’s known as Zyban. Sorry I don’t know what the drug is called elsewhere - Netherlands / NZ). It’s usually prescribed for SAD; as a stop smoking treatment; and for depression. And in Canada it’s prescribed for binge eating disorder (BED) as well. It’s a dopamine transporter inhibitor.

Off-label, Health Canada and non-FDA approved uses include anti-depressant-induced sexual dysfunction, attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depression associated with bipolar disorder, and obesity. I am taking it off label for ADHD. I take 300 mg a day as I was unable to take regular ADHD stimulants and non stimulants due to their vaso-constricting properties. I have a vasoconstriction issue.

I have mentioned the effects of this drug with regards to the lowering of my blood sugar in previous unrelated posts. I thought it may deserve a post on its own.

Bupropion comes with a warning as it could cause hypoglycaemia. How does it work on blood sugars? It works by inhibiting KATP channel activity in pancreatic β-cell membranes which induces insulin secretion in relatively high concentration. So it forces the pancreas to up its insulin secretion.

This drug has had a significant impact on my blood sugar. Lowering it from a daily average of 7.5 mmol/ls to around an average 6.3 mmol/ls. To me that is significant . At 6.3 I am now in normal range for my blood sugar because of this drug. Bupropian worked where my 35 g carb a day failed to do despite being on it for 9 months. Please bear in mind that I do not have insulin resistance and therefore my body’s reaction to insulin secretion is normal like the healthy non-diabetic population. I am having to up my carb intake to stop the hypos. Yesterday I had a 15 minute period where my blood sugars were low (3.2 mmol/s.) I had to consume simple sugar containing sweets (‘Starburst’ candy) to get my sugars back up. This low was confirmed with a blood draw. (Yes Libre can be accurate at low levels probably because of the duration my blood sugar was low. I am concerned over the health of my beta cells.

I am wondering if others have used this drug and what are your experiences with it? And, as a matter of interest, are there any other non-diabetic drugs out there that lower blood sugar.

Thanks Mel.