Normal Fasting but High Post meal readings

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we get all concerned ! thinking we will be on tablets or insulin.
Goodness me, you have lots of quite easy changes to her diet to try before thinking about insulin. Many people on this Forum who nowadays have really good results once had blood glucose readings far higher than hers. You have already made the excellent choices to seek advice here and to get a meter and test. More helpful choices will gradually follow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I may have just the thing for you! And it's on offer right now. The Eat Water Slim range includes rice, penne, spaghetti, noodles, fettucine. It has zero carbs and is organic. You can keep the packets in the cupboard til wanted and it takes almost no time to prepare. People complain of the strange smell when you open the packet, but this goes away completely on rinsing. You then heat it in saucepan or microwave and in 2-3 minutes it's ready. It tastes of nothing, but then IMO so does white rice. After weeks of no rice or pasta or potatoes with my meals, I am finding it bliss. I like the rice in chicken broth with aubergine, the fettucine with chopped hard boiled eggs, vegan pesto (that is the lowest carb pesto) and courgette, or for a snack penne just with pesto and butter/olive oil. But obviously you would adapt your favourites. You just need something flavourful as accompaniment. NB I first tried a different brand, the Zero noodles, and found them acceptable, but not nearly as nice or as close to normal as the Slim range.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-water-slim-pasta-penne-60007567

I hope people won't think I work for H&B or Eat Water Slim!!!

I can’t get past the smell of these! :hungover: I prefer the Explore Cuisine ‘spaghetti’ and ‘fettuccini’, they are between 11-13g carbs per portion (100g) and have a nice flavour.

Reactions: Stay healthy

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Goodness me, you have lots of quite easy changes to her diet to try before thinking about insulin. Many people on this Forum who nowadays have really good results once had blood glucose readings far higher than hers. You have already made the excellent choices to seek advice here and to get a meter and test. More helpful choices will gradually follow.
:) so kind!
I guess we were a bit lost as we were not expecting to be diagnosed so early in life . In all the confusion we are preparing ourselves for the worst case scenario including what if we were type 1. Her cpeptide results are awaited which will tell us about the type Untill then we are just trying to be positive and address this with the best we can . She’s only 35 and weighs 56 kgs.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I eat cheese and nuts to fill me up if I'm still hungry after a meal - or as a snack. Not ideal if you're trying to lose weight but I don't think that is the case if your wife is only 56kg.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your wife is hungry she isn't eating enough good fats. If she is eating low carb she needs to increase her fats. She can throw away any low fat products (most of them contain sugar) and eat the real thing. Full fat dairy - butter, yogurt, cheese, cream. Plenty of eggs. Avocados, olives, real mayonnaise on salads or olive oil, plenty of fish - oily fish such as salmon. Any meat.

Eggs are very useful because we can eat them at any meal, cooked any which way. We can have omelettes with cheese, mushrooms, bacon. What about a good fry up (eggs, bacon, mushrooms, a tomato, a high meat content sausage). If she likes salads, add some protein such as a steak, or chops, or a tin of salmon/tuna/mackerel. I enjoy an egg mayonnaise salad with 2 eggs and a generous helping of Hellmans Real Mayo.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:) so kind!
I guess we were a bit lost as we were not expecting to be diagnosed so early in life . In all the confusion we are preparing ourselves for the worst case scenario including what if we were type 1. Her cpeptide results are awaited which will tell us about the type Untill then we are just trying to be positive and address this with the best we can . She’s only 35 and weighs 56 kgs.
You might like to download this free book for a cheerful "can do" view of life from a young T1. https://brightspotsandlandmines.org

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning,
Plan for today:

Breakfast - quakers oats
Snack - almonds (handful)
Lunch - 3 eggs
Snack - peanuts (handful)
Dinner - 2 eggs

Let’s see how it goes !

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning,
Plan for today:

Breakfast - quakers oats
Lunch - 3 eggs
Dinner - 2 eggs

Let’s see how it goes !

Looking good, except for the Quaker Oats, you may find them too high in carbs!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nuts are a good snack, but among the nuts peanuts & cashews are about the highest in carbs. A handful is quite a lot, so it might be worthwhile switching to walnuts or almonds, which are lower. The info on carb content is luckily on all the packets.

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes agree. Plan is to cut out on oats but at the moment that keeps her full and the readings after oats in the morning aren’t too bad. Though I agree we need to find alternatives.

Reactions: Rachox

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this. 5 eggs in a day are too much? I thought eggs were great as they are low in carbs but Happy to Be corrected?
5 eggs a day should be fine but it’s not a lot of food. I think that was where @paulus1 was intending. Does your wife like avocado? They are a high fat food that can fill you up and keep you satiated for longer. On a LCHF diet we tend to replace carbs with higher fat foods. Obviously being vegetarian meats are out but does she eat fish?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes agree. Plan is to cut out on oats but at the moment that keeps her full and the readings after oats in the morning aren’t too bad. Though I agree we need to find alternatives.

If she still wants a porridge like experience for breakfast, give low carb coconut ‘porridge’ a go, not real porridge but gives a satisfying filling feeling. I have it everyday with strawberries and cream. Just throw all the ingredients in a non stick saucepan and stir over a low heat until it reaches your preferred consistency.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning,
Plan for today:

Breakfast - quakers oats
Lunch - 3 eggs
Dinner - 2 eggs

Let’s see how it goes !

As others have said, the oats probably not a good idea at all.
Where are all the vegetables and salads? I'm not at all surprised your wife is hungry. To be honest there is nowhere near enough food there. She needs plenty of proteins, good fats, and lots of vegetables. She must like veg if she is a vegetarian!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tommorow is another day and we need to find if we can keep these reading low and yet not feel hungry? I would really appreciate if you could suggest a low or zero carb filling food which she can supplement along with her meal?

If you are not vegetarian, you may consider meat with fatty cuts.

If you are vegetarian, I would suggest eggs, avocado, cheese, nuts and dark chocolates. The general idea is to have a diet/lifestyle that lowers our insulin level. This allow our impaired and overworked pancreas to rest and heal.

Last edited:

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you cant just cut the carbs and not have it replaced by the fats. it maybe worth seeing a dietitian in your wifes case. its not a surprise she is hungry. is there anything else she does not eat.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I wish a salad to fill me up I added grated full fat cheese and full-fat mayonnaise. The few carbs in shop brought full-fat mayonnaise is not an issue, as no one is going to have 100g of mayonnaise often!

Most places that sell ready-made salads also cell roasted chicken etc that you can add to give more protein to make the salad into a complete meal.