Normal Range Fasting but high 1-2 hour after food

sud5nala

Over the 4 th of July I had some really great chicken legs ( without skin and sauce ) and over ate but corrected. It took three full days for fast to come under 100. There is no forgiveness.....diabetes never cheats or takes vacations in my world
That sure is consistent with the diagnosis of LADA. There's enough insulin production to maintain a fine fasting level, and barely any additional capacity.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
And here (this link) is a 2015 slide show from the RCGP that shows how the "ominous octet" model is at the basis of the conventional wisdom on medical management. It's sort of the NHS playbook for glucose lowering agents (doesn't address blood pressure agents, etc.). It represents a joint statement by the European and American diabetes establishments. I mention it now because it gives the context of the use of Forxiga and other meds that make the kidney excrete glucose.

The link is broken, it I'd really like to see this, could you represent it please. Tx Kevin

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Those are really low numbers! (4.7 mmol/l to 5.5). Is it that if control that tight is not maintained, then the numbers soar? Middle ground not possible?

As I maintain permanent ketosis, my control never varies, my range is often between 4.2 & 5.0 depending on my my day to day schedule, work, leisure.
If I go above 6.5 because of food, my body produces more insulin than is required.
There is no middle ground for me!
But you can, if you wish, as long as you get a reading not more than 2mmols higher than your pre fasting meal, after eating, two hours later,
Being in the 4's is considered normal not low!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nosher, how many is 2 mmols in US? Are you meaning like 4-6?

I prefer to stay in the 4's as well. I occasionally teeter a little over or under but not often. The chicken took me to 125 but fasting stuck at about 100 for three days. No big deal number wise but irritating over chicken! It wasn't an ice cream fudge cake. Lol

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Nosher, how many is 2 mmols in US? Are you meaning like 4-6?

I prefer to stay in the 4's as well. I occasionally teeter a little over or under but not often. The chicken took me to 125 but fasting stuck at about 100 for three days. No big deal number wise but irritating over chicken! It wasn't an ice cream fudge cake. Lol

Maybe, I didn't express it properly, on a glucose monitor which is measured in mmols.
Your fasting pre meal, then two hours after 2 hours readings should not be over two mmols, otherwisethat particular food or combination of food is not good for you.

I believe that to get the American conversion you multiply by 18.
So 2 is 36
5 is 90
8 is 134
10 is 180.

Bingo!

I might be wrong!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. 18. Perfect. Now this whole forum will make more sense haha

So 4.4 equals 79 correct? And 5.5 equals 100? Then those are my goals. I usually very close.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is not so exact, there is a conversion table on the home page. I think, but will look later.
When I see the US numbers, I would just round it up to the whole number, not the small number. As 4-6 mmols (72-108) is in normal range.

It's all about control, and being healthier, the readings just help us monitor the foods we can tolerate. And seeing trends, as we go along on our journey.

Sometimes being obsessive about our bloods can be a diversion on our path to where we need to be!

Hope this helps. Going to track down the conversion table!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It is not so exact, there is a conversion table on the home page. I think, but will look later.
When I see the US numbers, I would just round it up to the whole number, not the small number. As 4-6 mmols (72-108) is in normal range.

It's all about control, and being healthier, the readings just help us monitor the foods we can tolerate. And seeing trends, as we go along on our journey.

Sometimes being obsessive about our bloods can be a diversion on our path to where we need to be!p

Sometimes being obsessive about our bloods can be a diversion on our path to where we need to be!

Great help, I don't like below 75 or over 100. I figured we were close. I was just told to go to the A & E ( which we do t have but I get it) at those numbers. A diabetic does not need to be out of non diabetic ranges as far as I'm concerned, and I believe you too. It's not hard to control most of the time. I love being in ketosis. I also love taking small doses of insulin and fear not hypos. Just my style...thanks for the help

sud5nala

The link is broken, it I'd really like to see this, could you represent it please. Tx Kevin

My pleasure. A nurse, J. Diggle, wrote these slide shows in a series, RCGP One-Day Essentials Diabetes. (These files are not .ppt., but "thumbnail" images.)

The one I was referring to previously is
The appropriate use of oral blood glucose lowering agents in a confusing landscape. http://www.rcgp.org.uk/courses-and-...lood-glucose-lowering-agents-Jane-Diggle.ashx The remark was particularly inspired by the multicolored block diagram on page 4.

The challenge of achieving glycaemic control in Type 2 diabetes. http://www.rcgp.org.uk/courses-and-...-achieving-glycaemic-control-Jane-Diggle.ashx

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
My pleasure. A nurse, J. Diggle, wrote these slide shows in a series, RCGP One-Day Essentials Diabetes. (These files are not .ppt., but "thumbnail" images.)

The one I was referring to previously is
The appropriate use of oral blood glucose lowering agents in a confusing landscape. http://www.rcgp.org.uk/courses-and-...lood-glucose-lowering-agents-Jane-Diggle.ashx The remark was particularly inspired by the multicolored block diagram on page 4.

The challenge of achieving glycaemic control in Type 2 diabetes. http://www.rcgp.org.uk/courses-and-...-achieving-glycaemic-control-Jane-Diggle.ashx

Very kind if you ....thanks:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Great help, I don't like below 75 or over 100. I figured we were close. I was just told to go to the A & E ( which we do t have but I get it) at those numbers. A diabetic does not need to be out of non diabetic ranges as far as I'm concerned, and I believe you too. It's not hard to control most of the time. I love being in ketosis. I also love taking small doses of insulin and fear not hypos. Just my style...thanks for the help

Nor me! I'm now so used to being in ketosis, that if I do go above 6mmols (108) I start feeling it!
No worries, glad to help!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nor me! I'm now so used to being in ketosis, that if I do go above 6mmols (108) I start feeling it!
No worries, glad to help!
Wow, I thought I was the only one that felt it still being low. I feel any movement over 10 whether up or down.
When on the rare occasion I'm out of ketosis I am tired and drained and moody. My diet is quite easy now and with all my food intolerances on top of diabetes it's pretty limited but the foods I do eat in the quantities I eat them work very well. Happy to have found a good routine and meal plan. My next endo appt is August 1 and I'm assuming I'll be in the 4's unless my meter is way off. Last one was 5.1 but I had a virus for the two weeks before and was running a bit higher.

Thanks again and happy to know I'm not alone feeling the slight increases/ decreases. That's why I cut carbs drastically, I don't like feeling that