Norovirus

EINZIG47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I have been recently diagnosed with type two, about 6 weeks ago. I have been managing my blood sugars pretty well and generally sit around five to 6, however i have gone down with Norovirus today and am i right in thinking i still need to eat and what?
Any suggestions!

Thank you

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh no! I had this a few years ago so I'm sending sympathy - I spent two days rolling around the bathroom floor in agony, and after three days was so much better.

I survived on Dioralyte (a sachet after every time I puked) and cool but not chilled water. I couldn't eat, so I tested all the time and injected when I needed to correct highs - although I'm type 1 so this option isn't open to you.

Sounds like your sugars are great! Are you on any medication that is lowering them? If so, that needs taking into account while you're poorly - but I'll invite those with type 2 to answer that one.

And I just want to say I hope you feel much better soon. Once experienced, never forgotten - but at least it doesn't linger too long.

:)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only had it once but used it as an excuse to start a fast for a few days..I'm not sure if that's recommended but didn't seem to do me any harm.. Hope you feel better soon I think I was tied to the loo for about 48 hours.
Lots and lots of water with ideally some electrolyte additions as @Snapsy said something like dioralyte.. just watch out for too many sugars.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

norovirus is awful. you have my sympathy.

Can I ask what medication you are on? And whether you have checked if those meds should be continued, reduced or stopped during tummy bugs?

Sorry to sound like a mother hen :) but when I had norovirus (a couple of years ago) about all I could manage was sips of water, and a med like metformin would have played havoc with my guts!

I also found that chicken soup was the best possible thing to have when I started to reintroduce food. Not manky tinned 'cream of' but real proper home made chicken soup made with real chicken and a few well cooked veg, and a nice tasty stock.

Hope that helps. :)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you are just on metformin or no drugs at all then don't worry about your sugars and just keep up fluids and sleep as much as you can. If you are on stronger drugs then call your doc for advice. You have my sympathies, when I had it it is the sickest I have ever been.

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My children's school was closed last week because kids were throwing up everywhere.
Don't worry about food. Unfortunately the classic BRAT banana rice apple and toast post diarrhoea are all the things you can't eat. Just let it clear. It takes about 48hrs. Then start with plain foods. Luckily it is one than burns out quickly.
Yuk! :hungover::hungover::hungover: