Not come to terms yet

cheesesoup

Was only diagnosed on Thursday but had blood tests etc for about a month before so knew what was coming .
Yes I had type 2 Diabetes .
Fast forward to yesterday, wife had got blackpudding, sausages, bacon etc and some rolls[1] was going to have a roll on something caught myself just in time with a "no -no, you are behaving yourself " two seconds later was thinking "never mind when I am better shall pig out on rolls and so on". Then it struck me that I will never get 'better', I will never be able to eat as I want again (not if I wish to control my BG). I find myself yo-yoing between these two positions of when I am 'better'/never going to be 'better'.

[1][ Can't blame her she is not on a diet and the boys still live with us. However it was bit thoughtless in these early days.

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello cheesesoup:

Was the same as you and I am sure lots have been there, Just stick at it and (we all say it) it will get easier...

When I was told I had T2 I was devastated thinking that I could not have Pasta, Pizza, Cakes, Etc Etc again....Since being told, I have been on a Very Very Low carb Diet....No Pasta, Bread, Cakes, Usual stuff That we all liked. I have lost 2 Stone in weight Feel Great. And now If my family go for a Mac D I go with them and have A Big Mac Without the BUN..Indian I have the mixed grill with the lentil thingy they do...Its the taste and the atmosphere that's great,

I have not started Pasta yet and that is my choice, BUT the doctor in Italy is pleased with my weight lose and said If I wanted a "SMALL" plate of pasta to have it BUT not in the Evenings..TRY and keep your Carbs to lunch time...and do some exercise which I do....

I know that we have this now for life....and its a bummer...We are the chosen few, that can improve the way we live and eat, and feel better, lighter, and enjoy life to the FULL..

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Hello Cheesesoup

You're not going to get 'better', but you can get control of diabetes and by doing that your overall health will improve and you'll feel better than you have for years.

I can honestly say that being diagnosed as a diabetic is one of the best things that happened to me. It forced me to make serious decisions and change my whole lifestyle.

Are you low-carbing? Maybe you could pick up some low carb cookbooks with recipes that your whole family can eat.

cheesesoup

didie said:
Are you low-carbing?

Nope, should I be?
Only just been diagnosed and the advice from the DN seems to be eat lots of starches (potatoes, pasta, rice etc) rather than sugars, but lo there seems to be a "the DN is talking mince when it comes to diet" vibe in here. Think I would prefer to go with the people who are actually living with this rather than people who are only parroting advice they got way back in their training.

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I read the bumph from the diabetic nurse and was delighted to see that all the foods suggested where ones I already ate and then I realised that was what got me into trouble in the first place.

I now don't eat bread, potatoes, rice or pasta - all carbs and therefore sugar which raises your levels. I do however eat porridge and corn cakes which are ok for me.

Xyzzy has a great post which explains it all. *goes to find it*

didie

Dislikes
from xyzzy:-

I was diagnosed in December last year and using the advice I found on the forum got my blood sugar levels back to normal within around a couple of months or so and I have also normalised my cholesterol levels and blood pressure as well. I have now lost nearly 4 stone in weight too. My doctor is very pleased how I am getting on and has advised me to keep doing what I have been doing since it's obviously working really well. You can normalise your blood levels but that isn't the same as a cure I'm afraid. What it means is that you will need to be very careful about what you eat from now on.

What you should eat diet wise is really easy. Just drastically cut down or better cut out all things with plain sugar, so biscuits, cakes, sugar in tea and coffee, pure fruit juices, non diet versions of soft drinks. Next and really importantly try halving starchy foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, bread, cereals and any other flour based products. Replace what's now missing with extra meat, fish, eggs, cheese and especially vegetables. Vegetables that grow above ground are best although most of us find carrots fine. Things like yoghurt are fine as is a small amount of fresh fruit. I find the ones that end in "berry" are the best. If you don't mind artificial sweeteners things like Diet Coke are fine to drink. On the starchy foods that are left swap try brown basmati rice instead of white and brown or tri-colour pasta. The bread that most recommend is actually Bergen soya bread but some do ok with wholemeal as well.

The above regime is close to one you would be one recommended to try by the Swedish Health service. It was introduced in that country last year and the American health service and several other countries health services recommend something very similar for Type 2 diabetics. In the UK the diet guidelines are now over 30 years old and are only gradually being updated. As the UK is lagging behind you may find what I and other forum members recommend is different to what your are told is a good diet for you follow.

Next most members would recommend you test your own blood sugar levels. Did your doctor give you a meter and strips? Some do and some don't. It's a bit of a post code lottery and we find some progressive surgeries are pro testing and others anti. I'll warn you the anti ones can sometimes be very vocally anti! If you ask and get told no then if you can afford to most members will get a meter and test themselves anyway. A meter that many people are buying at the moment is called as SD CodeFree. The meter and 50 strips will cost under £20 then new strips are just £5 per 50 which is a lot cheaper than most other meters. The cheapest place to buy is the healthcare.co.uk shop on eBay but make sure you get a UK mmol/l model and not a US mg/dl one or the numbers it shows will be confusing.

The reason testing is important is you should try and keep your blood sugars below 8ish two hours after eating any meal. Above the 8 value is where the dangers of complications do begin to occur according to diabetic experts. So if you can't test how will you now if what you are eating is keeping you safe? The problem is every diabetic is different so my earlier advice to halve starchy foods is just a rough guide. You may find you need to eat less than half (like me) or that you can eat more than half like others.

As you get into it all and read around the forum you may see people talking about carb counting. If you want to understand what that is just ask. It is a powerful weapon that a diabetic can use to control their condition and one that many of us use to great effect.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Regards

Steve

PS Here's two good links about what's good to eat.

First is the lady doctor who's low carb / low GI recommendations seem to form the basis of what's recommended in Sweden

http://blogg.passagen.se/dahlqvistannik ... rograme_in

Second is a good beginners guide to low carb regimes that are excellent for reducing blood sugar levels and losing weight.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

BeccaJaneStClair

cheesesoup said:
didie said:
Are you low-carbing?

Nope, should I be?
Only just been diagnosed and the advice from the DN seems to be eat lots of starches (potatoes, pasta, rice etc) rather than sugars, but lo there seems to be a "the DN is talking mince when it comes to diet" vibe in here. Think I would prefer to go with the people who are actually living with this rather than people who are only parroting advice they got way back in their training.

I think it's really a personal choice. I found that by going low-carb, I was losing weight at a better pace than I was still eating the potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. I still have the starchy things, but in moderation and only one a week. But, YMMV. You might be able to eat carbs :)

The important thing is NOT to beat yourself up when you have a set back. We all make mistakes, and sometimes that white roll is just too tempting. You're allowed to misstep, but it's the way you deal with it that matters -- "oh, I had a moment of weakness, I won't do that again" vs "oh, since I've already had one roll, I might as well have another....and that cake over there looks pretty good...and I think I'll go get an ice cream, too..." you see my point?

Good luck!

Defren

BeccaJaneStClair said:
cheesesoup said:
didie said:
Are you low-carbing?

Nope, should I be?

I think it's really a personal choice. I found that by going low-carb, I was losing weight at a better pace than I was still eating the potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. I still have the starchy things, but in moderation and only one a week. But, YMMV. You might be able to eat carbs :)

The important thing is NOT to beat yourself up when you have a set back. We all make mistakes, and sometimes that white roll is just too tempting. You're allowed to misstep, but it's the way you deal with it that matters -- "oh, I had a moment of weakness, I won't do that again" vs "oh, since I've already had one roll, I might as well have another....and that cake over there looks pretty good...and I think I'll go get an ice cream, too..." you see my point?

Good luck!

I wish I could agree Becca, but I think we (diabetics) really do have to bite the bullet and seriously reduce or cut out carbs. It's better to find a level your body can cope with, hence the 'eat to your meter' mantra. I just don't deal with carbs well at all. If I go above say 35g a day my BG will rise and stay high, so I Ultra low carb, I have to, my fear of complications is just too great.

The worst part is learning where carbs lurk. In many fruits, as thickeners, in things like sausages and burgers. When I was first diagnosed I had to read the labels on everything. For me, cutting out all together, rice, pasta, bread, potato's, flour, wheat, grains, milk, processed foods and ready meals works. Other people have a higher tolerance of carbs than me, so can have some of the things I can't. Eat to your meter, and test, test, test is the best and only way to learn about your own carb tolerance.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The DB nurse said I could eat scones...I said why would I start eating them now as I don't as a rule hohum.
But lowcarbing I havn't lost much weight at all. Bummer!

C

chris lowe

Hi, yes it is hard having to come to terms with what you can and can't eat. Some people go to a very low carb diet, some to a more moderate level. I've reduced my carbs to about 90g per day and I find it works for me and I've lost some weight. But we are all individuals, so it's a case of trial and error as to what works for you. Research has shown that a low carb diet can regulate sugar levels effectively. I don't know why "the establishment" continue to stick to the eat rice, pasta, bread mantra. As far as bread goes a lot of us eat Bergen soya and linseed which is about the lowest carb bread. If you've got family living with you it's hard when they can eat what they want and you have to hold back, but my husband's not diabetic and I don't see why he should suffer just because I'm diabetic, so I do buy him doughnuts (wrap them in cling film and freeze them then he takes out one each day), I do buy him his peanut m & m's and while he's eating the pudding I've made for him I have a sugar free jelly with some berries. It's just a case of swapping to a more low carb alternative. As I say, it's a case of finding what works best for you. There are some good recipes and meal ideas on the website and they are mostly (if not all) suitable for the whole family. Good luck. It's not the end of the world - honest! Look on it as a chance to get your lifestyle and diet into order and you'll feel better for it.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hey Cheesesoup (that really is a neat name :lol:)

It all comes as a bit of a shock to start with I know it did for me. The best advice really is as others have said which is get a meter if you haven't got one and test as that will tell you what your tolerance is. You will probably find that early on your tolerance to carbs will be pretty low and to be honest you need to get in the swing of being good for most of the time so that it becomes just part of everyday life. If you swap lifestyles so you get your levels safe and lose some weight if you need to you'll find your tolerance to carbs will likely increase a bit but it really depends on how long your levels were running high before you were diagnosed. The odd treat isn't going to kill you but in my opinion you need to be pretty tough with yourself to start with. What's being tough with yourself for a few weeks until it becomes natural as opposed to probably knocking years off your life if you're not. The key thing I found in the early weeks was not to get hungry, so don't, but make sure you are topping yourself up with safe things.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
cheesesoup said:
"the DN is talking mince when it comes to diet" vibe in here. .
Well, I'm not a DN but I could talk mince for hours :lol:
Seriously, mince is good, could eat it 'til it comes out mah ears!

MaryJ

Hi cheesesoup

Just really going to re-iterate what other's have said.

Life isnt over as you know it but you have to make choices - I can only eat pasta if I have a glass of red wine with it. (not advocating this as a medication choice)! I'm more than happy with that except sometimes I've not wanted the wine - so i've had the lasagne and gone for a brisk walk. Sorted. Gotta admit walk vs wine, 99% of the time wine wins.

After time you find your desire for these other things lessens -

I craved a salmon fillet cooked with chilli, garlic and real butter the other day - my OH and daughter had chicken kiev, hash browns and baked beans. My god my lunch was the winner vs theirs, both in the visual stakes and I imagine the taste stakes.

Mary x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi cheeesesoup.
Will add here it 'does' take time to adapt and 'does' get easier with time too!
So much to learn,find out,understand etc...
It took me over 6months to form,shape my new routine plus accept it was changes
that had to be permannent for my "own" good too.
At times it can feel bit confusing and baffles the brain!
Just keep asking the questions you feel/need to.
There is always someone here that will offer you help and support.
Anna.

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Hi there Cheesesoup

You are not alone!! I'm a couple of months in, trying my best - not extreme low carbing but greatly reduced, upped my exercise, weigh the right weight for my height, doing lots of testing etc and yesterday, out of the blue, I CRIED IN SAINSBURY'S :( because I'm never going to be the carefree shopper and eater that I once was.................

The up side of course, is that I'm lucky to know that I have Type 2, and lucky to be able to try to do something about it.

Every now and then though, it can really get you down!!

keep your chin up! use this forum to help you on the good and bad days - it really is a huge part of dealing with the problem!!

Cath

Defren

CathyN said:
Hi there Cheesesoup

You are not alone!! I'm a couple of months in, trying my best - not extreme low carbing but greatly reduced, upped my exercise, weigh the right weight for my height, doing lots of testing etc and yesterday, out of the blue, I CRIED IN SAINSBURY'S :( because I'm never going to be the carefree shopper and eater that I once was.................

The up side of course, is that I'm lucky to know that I have Type 2, and lucky to be able to try to do something about it.

Every now and then though, it can really get you down!!

keep your chin up! use this forum to help you on the good and bad days - it really is a huge part of dealing with the problem!!

Cath

It does get easier, I promise. Your 'normal' will change and what you are creating now will become as familiar to you as what you do now. Your old routine and eating habits had to be learned to make them normal, and you will soon have a new and much healthier normal. It's really not so bleak, honestly.