Not losing weight on low carb

SJS5

Posting for my daughter who is struggling to lose weight.

She eats healthily and always has done and has adopted the low carb diet
She exercises regularly..long walks, squash twice a week ,weights and goes on exercise bike.

She wants to lose around 1 stone.

For breakfast it will be eggs or fish.
Lunch salad and protein
Evening meal protein ,lots of green veg etc.
Drinks lots of water.

She has not lost 1lb and is getting increasingly disheartened.

I am a type I and when I adopted low carb I managed to lose weight quite easily over several months
I don't know how else to advise her.

Should she increase fat and protein?
Or is she doing too much exercise?

She has been doing low carb for a few weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

SJS5

Hi yes she will sometimes miss breakfast and so eat between 12 -6pm

Protein is usually salmon eggs chicken beef mince.
I don't think she eats much fat.

She will eat a protein yoghurt .

She has signs of PCOS and has hypothyroid .Thyroid blood tests are extremely stable for several years.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
Hi yes she will sometimes miss breakfast and so eat between 12 -6pm

Protein is usually salmon eggs chicken beef mince.
I don't think she eats much fat.

She will eat a protein yoghurt .

She has signs of PCOS and has hypothyroid .Thyroid blood tests are extremely stable for several years.
Does your daughter actually track what she eats online. Easier to do that as it is easy to see mistakes early. Also if she does sport and exercise ( I am unable) she may not be eating quite enough. IF is a good way to eat. Also yoghurt can be iffy so be careful. Sometimes it takes one or two simple changes for the weight loss to kick in. Oh and eating enough fat also helps. Does she test her Ketones to see if she is fat burning? Best of luck.

SJS5

Thanks for reply.
Yes she does track it.
I advise her to maybe cut the yoghurt out and try plain Greek yoghurt but she's not keen.
And no she's not testing ketones.
It's a bit of a fine balance tbh as I am concerned she is worrying too much about it
She has a poor opinion of her body image as well.
I wondered if she is putting her body under stress by trying to do a lot of exercise.

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing that we need fat for is to stay alive (this is not a popular opinion) as even the demonised saturated fat is the raw material for many essential substances and also hormones.
On the low carb forum I have chuckled a little at the announcements of pregnancy after only a few weeks eating normal fats - my own sister fell pregnant after a two week visit to see our new house by the sea, during which time she complained about the food quite a bit. They were discussing fertility treatment after 8 years without success.
We need fat and protein to live, not so much carbs - there are no essential carbs.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s a lot of anecdotal evidence that weight loss can have a bit of a delay on low carb if there’s a lot of metabolic healing to be done. Especially if there’s insulin resistance, pcos, or thyroid disorders.

Then there’s the issue of not eating much fat. Which means low carb and low fat and no energy source so the body conserves whatever energy it can. Getting into fat burning mode over the first month or so without restricting overall intake takes precedence over calories (which I suspect she’s concerned about). Then you adjust fat intake to meet needs.

SJS5

There’s a lot of anecdotal evidence that weight loss can have a bit of a delay on low carb if there’s a lot of metabolic healing to be done. Especially if there’s insulin resistance, pcos, or thyroid disorders.

Then there’s the issue of not eating much fat. Which means low carb and low fat and no energy source so the body conserves whatever energy it can. Getting into fat burning mode over the first month or so without restricting overall intake takes precedence over calories (which I suspect she’s concerned about). Then you adjust fat intake to meet needs.
Thankyou for advice.it makes sense. I think when I started low carb 3 years ago I ate more fat initially .
Do you know roughly how much fat you should be eating daily if you weigh around 82kg?

Reactions: filly

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A couple of sites that explain macros and hoe to calculate them. I track everything in MyFitnessPal, you can set your personal levels and goals but there are other apps I’ve just always used this.

Edited to add, ignore the bit at the beginning of the first link saying keto needs more research blah blah blah - scroll down to the description of macros for keto and low carb

Reactions: SJS5

SJS5

A couple of sites that explain macros and hoe to calculate them. I track everything in MyFitnessPal, you can set your personal levels and goals but there are other apps I’ve just always used this.

Edited to add, ignore the bit at the beginning of the first link saying keto needs more research blah blah blah - scroll down to the description of macros for keto and low carb

Thankyou