Not sure if I should increase or reduce insulin

Daisyjlg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I have been a Type 2 diabetic for 4 years. Had lots of health issues with tablet medication and finally moved over to insulin. Started on 26u per day but glucose levels have been increasing and had to increase insulin to 32u. Readings first thing in the morning rose even higher to 12 or 13. Diabetic Nurse advised a further 2 unit increase but then readings went up to 14. Read on the Forum that sometimes too much insulin can increase glucose readings so have been steadily reducing insulin and am now down to 24u per day. My glucose levels have now dropped to between 10 and 12, not a significant amount. Diabetic Nurse thinks I should increase my insulin again, but am now not sure in which direction I should be going. The lowest readings I have ever achieved were when I first started on insulin 2 years ago and that was 7 (first thing am). I am trying so very hard with my diet and am just not getting anywhere. Please, please has anyone got any good ideas?????

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hello, I have been a Type 2 diabetes for 4 years. Had lots of health issues with tablet medication and finally moved over to insulin. Started on 26u per day but glucose levels have been increasing and had to increase insulin to 32u. Readings first thing in the morning rose even higher to 12 or 13. Diabetic Nurse advised a further 2 unit increase but then readings went up to 14. Read on the Forum that sometimes too much insulin can increase glucose readings so have been steadily reducing insulin and am now down to 24u per day. My glucose levels have now dropped to between 10 and 12, not a significant amount. Diabetic Nurse thinks I should increase my insulin again, but am now not sure in which direction I should be going. The lowest readings I have ever achieved were when I first started on insulin 2 years ago and that was 7 (first thing am). I am trying so very hard with my diet and am just not getting anywhere. Please, please has anyone got any good ideas?????
Stick with your dns advice. They normallly have yrs of experience reducing bgs with insulin.
I found reducing my carbs and protein I needed less insulin but like you they were better but not perfect. Maybe both together with additional walking might be more beneficial for you?
I cannot walk much so I struggle too.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, I have been a Type 2 diabetic for 4 years. Had lots of health issues with tablet medication and finally moved over to insulin. Started on 26u per day but glucose levels have been increasing and had to increase insulin to 32u. Readings first thing in the morning rose even higher to 12 or 13. Diabetic Nurse advised a further 2 unit increase but then readings went up to 14. Read on the Forum that sometimes too much insulin can increase glucose readings so have been steadily reducing insulin and am now down to 24u per day. My glucose levels have now dropped to between 10 and 12, not a significant amount. Diabetic Nurse thinks I should increase my insulin again, but am now not sure in which direction I should be going. The lowest readings I have ever achieved were when I first started on insulin 2 years ago and that was 7 (first thing am). I am trying so very hard with my diet and am just not getting anywhere. Please, please has anyone got any good ideas?????
Hello @Daisyjlg

What diet is it you are trying, and over what period? If it is LCHF, then do not be despondent if you see little or no change for the first 3 weeks.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

@Daisyjlg I can move your thread to Ask A Questiin or Type 2 on Insulin where you'll get more responses.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Increasing insulin does not cause blood sugar levels to rise. Insulin lowers blood sugar, that's all it does. The only time it might cause a rise is if too much insulin causes a hypo and your body triggers a liver dump in response. As your levels are in the teens hypos seem unlikely.

What kind of insulin are you taking? If it is a mixed insulin you should be careful about any dramatic reduction to carb intake.

SimonCrox

Not sure what has been happening with the tablets, sounds like they were problematic and it looks like you have been on the insulin a few years.
In the past, oral agents were often stopped on starting insulin; the OHAs came out of the system and 5 days later the glucose levels went up; so nowadays tend to review the oral agents and persevere with some of them.
You are right about something called the Somogyi effect as Catapillar says; overnight hypo causes a compensatory rise in glucose via stress hormones and this can overdo it. Having said this, it is probably very uncommon and I feel that overnight hypos tend to make folk muzzy headed and sweaty the next morning, possibly with confusion.
If you are worried about this, it would be very reasonable to check a few 3.00 am glucose levels to exclude hypos.
probably a good idea to review your insulin regime and diet because doesn't sound as if you are getting great results after 2 years on insulin - sorry.
Best wishes