Not sure what this is

winglets

I'm 34, male, 6ft2, healthy weight etc. and no known conditions, i.e.non diabetic. I am taking mirtazipine for the last 2 months. I have a close direct relative, father, who has diabetes type 2 (diagnosed in mid 50s).

The last 2 weeks or so I've woken up in the early morning (range from 230am - 6am) and had this strange but slight sensation that I need to pee. I awake to find I have it and then can't get back to sleep. I'm wide awake. However it definitely isn't a strong, intense, desperate urge but rather just a slight awareness if that makes sense which is why I don't even need to pee so I never actually go straight away and sometimes don't go at all until later in the morning.

What's even more odd is that this never happens at any other time of the day or night. I have no other symptoms, no burning, no pain, normal urine frequency. I'm fine, my usual self at all other times and can go about my normal day, however this is affecting my sleep now. Possibly a slightly dry mouth the moment I wake but that soon disappears. I had an urinalysis done two weeks which came back normal. I'll go and get my prostate checked next week but any idea what this could be? I feel if something disturbs your usual sleep pattern then something isn't quite right.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think most bang for bucks would be the Hba1c test. That would confirm/rule out the whole diabetes question. Polyuria and a dry mouth are what makes me think of this.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
best to mention it to your doctor we really cant say it maybe something or nothing.

winglets

I have three sons. Since what you describe is common, how about not drinking anything two hours before bedtime? Until you can retrain your bod, keep a male travel urinal near the bed and try to pee. these cost about5 dollars in the US and have a sort of lid so you won't have to worry about the pee making a mess. The key reasons for trying this is

1. to not get out of bed too much and walk around in the middle of the night.
2. to be able to measure what happens if it happens, and to keep the data for a couple weeks.
3. Try not to turn on much of a light. You will be trying not to disturb your sleep rhythms.

By the end of a couple weeks, you oughta know if the problem is related to drinking too much too late, to some kind of circadian rhythm thingie for which you might have to get tested for sleep apnea to further diagnose you, or something else. to be even more diagnostic for data to bring to a doctor, consider also using the urinal during the day and measuring when and how much.

You are also the age where you ought to have testing periodically by a urologist. One of the first things to show if you have a problem is taking too long to pee, so you can time this in seconds and not the seconds pause before starting.

There are blood sugar meters with initial test strips out there for ten bucks, so you could keep a food diary and then test your bloodsugars for ten consecutive nights two hours after dinner to see if you are having sugar spikes. Often, when people get tested for a random blood sugar, it is after fasting where it will show lower than normal . You can also spend 25 dollars for an A1c3 tests which will show your overall blood sugar for the last three months

So there are ways you can narrow down things by yourself

Another record is to weigh yourself morning and bedtime. A difference higher could indicate edema, i.e. fluid retention. And maybe your bod want to rid itself during the night but is actually going to wait until morning.

Thanks contralto,

I didn't know that you could test for A1C3 by yourself? Also I think you meant to say if testing for random blood sugar, someone will show a number higher than average, not lower?

I do drink green tea before I sleep and I always tend to be on the computer until late for quite a while before bed, however I have always done this, for years and never had problems with sleep. So, I doubt that that can be the cause?

As I mentioned I'm not peeing more than I usually pee so when I do go, it's normal, I don't notice a delay in starting to void or any real draining after. Sorry I didn't make it clear, when I wake up with this sensation it doesn't make me desperate to go pee but if I do go which I have, then I have no problem voiding. As I said during the day I have no issues.

I've been taking mirtazapine 15mg once a day for about two months and this is infact known to cause dry mouth as a side effect however, I didn't get any symptoms when I first took it so it would be unusual to suddenly have a side effect now? I did miss a dose here and there recently. I thought about enlarged prostate but it would be uncommon at my age although not impossible, plus I don't have any pain or burning etc.

I do suffer from anxiety and depression (hence the mirtazapine) so in a way I hope that that could be the cause (psychosomatic) rather than something physical but I doubt it as I have been like this for years and never had an issue with sleep.

This is not getting worse but I don't want to keep waking up like this.

Dark Horse

I think most bang for bucks would be the Hba1c test. That would confirm/rule out the whole diabetes question. Polyuria and a dry mouth are what makes me think of this.
I don't think the OP said he had polyuria, i.e. production of large volumes of dilute urine - he said he was waking in the night and feeling a slight urge to pee but didn't need to act on it. The dry mouth is a common symptom of the tablets he is on.

Dark Horse

I'm 34, male, 6ft2, healthy weight etc. and no known conditions, i.e.non diabetic. I am taking mirtazipine for the last 2 months. I have a close direct relative, father, who has diabetes type 2 (diagnosed in mid 50s).

The last 2 weeks or so I've woken up in the early morning (range from 230am - 6am) and had this strange but slight sensation that I need to pee. I awake to find I have it and then can't get back to sleep. I'm wide awake. However it definitely isn't a strong, intense, desperate urge but rather just a slight awareness if that makes sense which is why I don't even need to pee so I never actually go straight away and sometimes don't go at all until later in the morning.

What's even more odd is that this never happens at any other time of the day or night. I have no other symptoms, no burning, no pain, normal urine frequency. I'm fine, my usual self at all other times and can go about my normal day, however this is affecting my sleep now. Possibly a slightly dry mouth the moment I wake but that soon disappears. I had an urinalysis done two weeks which came back normal. I'll go and get my prostate checked next week but any idea what this could be? I feel if something disturbs your usual sleep pattern then something isn't quite right.
This might be related to the mirtazapine. The problem could be that you are waking more often then noticing the normal night-time signals from the bladder, or it could be that the drug is having a direct effect on your urge to pee. The symptoms don't match those of diabetes (large volumes of urine and consequent thirst) and you are ruling out other possible causes with the urinalysis and prostate exam. It may be a case of just getting used to the feeling and ignoring it. However, if it continues to be a problem you should discuss it with your GP.

winglets

This might be related to the mirtazapine. The problem could be that you are waking more often then noticing the normal night-time signals from the bladder, or it could be that the drug is having a direct effect on your urge to pee. The symptoms don't match those of diabetes (large volumes of urine and consequent thirst) and you are ruling out other possible causes with the urinalysis and prostate exam. It may be a case of just getting used to the feeling and ignoring it. However, if it continues to be a problem you should discuss it with your GP.

Doctor hasn't checked my prostate just yet but I would think I'd be having more consistent frequent symptoms during the day and evening rather than just this one time period if I had prostate issues.

So last night I was asleep by midnight but then awake at 1:05am noticing again the slight awareness of wanting to go but it's also at an anxious feeling too. Voided, nothing abnormal and then had some water but couldn't sleep until I think around 3:45. Woke up around 8:15 with no urge to go pee. So something is happening around the 2am to 5am window that is causing me to be wide awake. I did think it could be the remeron I'm on but I never had these side effects to begin with. Infact I slept uninterrupted for like 10 hours when I first took it. I did miss a dose here and there recently but nothing drastic.
Also can waking up in the middle of the night hours after you've eaten and voided before bed be caused by having high blood sugar? Does this happen?

winglets

Also I'm not sure if anxiety and feeling nervous is playing a part. The more I think about it all the more it starts to worry me about what's wrong that I end up feeling on edge which in turn gives way to the slight urge to pee?

winglets

Also I'm not sure if anxiety and feeling nervous is playing a part. The more I think about it all the more it starts to worry me about what's wrong that I end up feeling on edge which in turn gives way to the slight urge to pee?

Dark Horse

Doctor hasn't checked my prostate just yet but I would think I'd be having more consistent frequent symptoms during the day and evening rather than just this one time period if I had prostate issues.

So last night I was asleep by midnight but then awake at 1:05am noticing again the slight awareness of wanting to go but it's also at an anxious feeling too. Voided, nothing abnormal and then had some water but couldn't sleep until I think around 3:45. Woke up around 8:15 with no urge to go pee. So something is happening around the 2am to 5am window that is causing me to be wide awake. I did think it could be the remeron I'm on but I never had these side effects to begin with. Infact I slept uninterrupted for like 10 hours when I first took it. I did miss a dose here and there recently but nothing drastic.
Also can waking up in the middle of the night hours after you've eaten and voided before bed be caused by having high blood sugar? Does this happen?
I only mentioned prostate because you said you were getting a check. Anxiety can cause you to wake in the night and so cansome drugs. Sometimes drugs take a couple of months to have their full effect. You might like to try cutting out all forms of caffeine (tea, coffee, cola, chocolate) after mid-day and avoid alcoholic drinks as they can disrupt sleep.