officially have joined the club

harryd

i have officially joined the t/2 club, was confirmed the other day by the doc. the first thing i have to do is take my meter back as it was the worst thing i could have done buying it, and see if i can get a refund. a meter is just for people who use insulin. i can eat anything i want as long as i cut out sugary foods and cut down on the salt. i am to see a dietician in a month's time. also will have to see the doc in 3 month's time. my b/s was 14. can any1 confirm this is the way to go as nurse and doc were most insistent on the meter and that they would look after all blood tests.
i was put on metformin 500mg 2 a day
ramipril 2.5mg 1 a day
simvastatin 40mg 1 at night
aspirin 75mg 1 a day.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Don't take meter back,Harry as this is the only way you can check which foods affect your blood sugars.All foods containing carbs affect your blood sugars and you need to keep your daily blood sugars down under 7,preferably less to avoid complications in the future.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
im type 1 but you will find that a lot of gps and dn,s are of that belief.. if u ask a diabetic they will say get a meter and test test test, how else will u know what foods affect your blood sugar? in my opinion i would stick with it and others will be along to tell u the same, type 2,s will give u much more advice so stick around :D

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sue and totsy are spot on harryd.
A meter is a neccessary tool ALL Diabetics should have in the armoury.
Use that meter to get better control of your Diabetes.

Ken.

harryd

thanks for the replies, i think its because they don't want to pay out for the strips. i went to a chemist
and he has them for £16 for 50 as he sells them at the price he gets them for. were do i stand as far as the doc is concerned not giving me them on prescription.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi harry.

You should stick with your Chemist - he is doing you a big favour at that price for the strips.
As far as your GP goes, you may have to make yourself a little unpopular to get what you want. First thing is to get all your facts right. Why you need to test. Why you feel it would help YOU take control of your Diabetes. armed with that ask GP again. If no luck ask why ? Is it PCT or Practice Policy, or both.
Then you will know which place to direct your complaint to. Just keep trying and let us know how you get on.

Ken.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Harry!
DON'T Whatever you do give up your meter!
In a balance between the cost of strips, and your health, the PCT will come down on cost.
To be fair, I think they really believe some of the rubbish they spout, especially nurses, who often have only minimal training.
However NICE and the House of Lords agree that you should test and that strips shouldn't be denied in a blanket manner and that each patient's care should be tailored to the individual. Diabetes Uk also have a lot on this subject. I don't agree with their dietary advice, but I back them on this one.
Use that meter to find out which foods suit you and more importantly, which don't

sandymaynard

Hi Harry,
Hello and welcome to the club, i am Sandy type 2 for a couple of months now!
I am on diet only at the minute!
please don't take your meter back, it is not just for people on insulin! It is for all diabetics.
Everybody reacts different to foods and exercise,
Harry you decide to use your meter, On one hot summers day you decide to go for a long walk, You forget to drink or eat as you have decided off the minute just to do it!
There you are after a long walk, you start to feel dizzy and light headed and shaky, your heart starts racing, There is two ways this is going to go!
You decide to use your meter to check your blood!

1. Ist test shows that your blood sugar has dropped, now is the case to try and get blood sugar up to a normal level, luckly you have taken advice from people on this website and you have dextrose pills with you! You take two pill's and test again, now you have a good blood sugar to get you home and sorted. Then you have a meal and you are sorted!

2. This choice you go for long walk again, This time you end up testing blood sugar as you feel funny, and your liver has dumped glucose in your system, No major worry! Just make sure that you get home and check blood sugar after having meal! All is fine.

3. This choice not so good, You don't have a meter you go for a walk on a hot summers day, no drink or food with you! You feel funny dizzy light headed and you feel like fainting. Oh no meter can't check blood. This is not good as you struggle to try and get home. You pass out as your blood sugar has dropped below what it should you! You have suffered a hypo. This in turn means a trip to the hospital!

Harry out of these three ones i know the ones i would choice, no1 and no2! As no 3 would be a no no for me!
Harry to be honest you need a meter as without one you don't what foods you are going to react to!
A meter to a diabetic is a must and something we all need and need we must!
could a person be without a heart? No as we need our hearts to pump our blood around our bodies!
For a diabetic a meter can be classed as a second heart as we need the meter!
Please don't get rid of your meter it is a important part of being in control!
question for you harry.... Do you want diabeties to control you? Or do you want to be in control of your diabetes?
Harry be trust us all here you need to test your blood!
Harry please keep the meter and test, don't listen to the Gp alot of themknow nothing!
Listen to the good people on here, as they will help you and help you find ways of being able to cope!
Sandy

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You pass out as your blood sugar has dropped below what it should you! You have suffered a hypo. This in turn means a trip to the hospital!

Technically,Sandy ,a type 2 on Metformin will not hypo but you can still go low and feel really bad!! The liver will dump and bring up blood sugars before you hypo like a type one or two on insulin would.Having said that some of the other type two oral drugs can induce hypos so you have to be aware of that.

Trinkwasser

Keep the meter and get your strips from the chemist if you can't get them prescribed.

Then have a read here

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

to see how best to use them.

This will almost certainly tell you that starches are at least as bad as sugar. And guess just what that dietician is going to tell you to eat more of?

As someone once wrote, diabetes is a disease where you do all the work and your doctors stand on the sidelines and cheer. Unfortunately too many of them are determined to run onto the playing field tossing unmentionable objects.

thumbless1

Dislikes
The NHS which is overworked and behind the times.
I was diagnosed a month a go and all the T 2s i talked to on here and Diabetes Daily told me to get a meter and test before and 2 hours after meals to see how certain foods are effecting your blood glucose levels as some foods are good and some bad so make a list of each as everybodys body is different.

I pesterd my nurse for a meter got a accuchevk aviva on the NHS with strips and lancets.

I was told by the nurse that if i am on Metoformin i get free prescriptions.

The other minefield you will get into is mentioning low carbohydrate diets.

I have 50 strips and 200 lancets but told to test once a week, expect that is to keep price down as strips are about 20 quid for 50 on e-bay.

Best advice i got is from other diabetics.

Tell them you dont want a practice nurse or a doctor but want a endocologist and watch the feathers fly.

Stuff them, keep the meter.

If i had not got one on the NHS i would of bought one anyway.

Davey

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
hi harry d welcome to the club i dont know if this is any help but down in the south you can get a long term illness book and all medecines and meters and strips are free

cugila

Master
Dislikes
thumbless1 said:
The other minefield you will get into is mentioning low carbohydrate diets.

Really, I can't believe that. :lol:

sandymaynard

Hi Harry,
It is a shock to everyone when this happens! This is why this forum is great as you can talk to people who have the same and know where you are coming from!
You don't have to be scared of asking questions as you will get answers! It will get easier over time to be able to cope and understand! The best way tp learn ois from the good people on this forum!
As alot Gps etc don't know the first thing about the conndition, But the Gp i have she is great and is willing to help as much as she can!The people here offer great support and offer a listening ear!
Sandy