OK, so how much weight did you put on over Christmas?

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Much to my disappointment, although not surprise, I managed to acquire 2kg over the 2 weeks of Christmas. I managed to stay pretty low-carb, but just didn't get to exercise and drank much more red wine than I would have normally. My Blood Sugar remained in pretty good shape also.

However, its 2kg I can do without :( and I am now back on track. Anyone else want to confess.........

I did have a blooming fantastic Christmas though :)

Reactions: 6 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
None really. Only drank dry white wine or vodka with diluted orange and lots of walking after meals.

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I expected to put on at least a couple of pounds over the festive period, but stayed at the same weight. I have even lost another pound over the last five days. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
By yesterday the scales showed an increase of 3lbs but I think that was mainly water retention from the Prosecco because I had stuck within my 25g carb limit - although I had eaten a huge number of calories.

So I had a fasting day yesterday (skipped brekkie and lunch with 240g salmon and an all green veg stirfry with just lots of water to drink and this morning the scales were back to what I was before Christmas. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None - in spite of having a few slightly more sinful extras in my diet over this Christmas & New Year. Last year in spite of not deviating at all from LCHF I managed to put on nearly 1/2 stone between mid December and February, which took a couple of months more to drop back again, just from eating slightly less fat. Over the last 18 months (apart from that one blip) my weight's been more or less constant - but still too high! - whatever I've eaten. It's my glucose levels that are liable to change the most. :wideyed:

Robbity

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm not joining in on talk of confession and sin! :) (not my bag). But I have indeed noted 2-3 kg increase :(, and waist and hips measurement of a couple of cms, and like @Klangley , I've put it down to decreased exercise (we had some rain-stormy days), and it seems - I just need to look at carby food on the Xmas table (OK - and eat some of it!), and not lift weights nor go for long walks for a couple of weeks, and up goes my weight. And therefore fat on my liver and pancreas? One imagines.

One and a half years in to my diagnosis, I am thinking, well, some seasonal fluctuations in my weight and belly fat and therefore HBA1c are going to be part of it? I'm just going to be mucking about in this HBA1c range for the duration? It feels like a draaaaaggggggg for sure! (Hmmm, thinks Aloe, coming to terms with the post-Xmas meaning of having a chronic condition...)

Reactions: 8 people

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Yep, I'll bare my soul, but will extend the time a bit. In the last 3 months or so, I have put on 5lb. Over the Christmas period, I have put on about another 4/5, not quite sure as I know I'm retaining a lot of fluid at the moment. Piling weight back on is my absolute nightmare as I have issues regarding food but I'm not going to panic - I have a cunning plan.:D

Nah, not really cunning..I'm just trying not to lose the plot and start bingeing, so far I'm coping. Had a small wobble today (pun unintended) but it was before my Oncology appt so nerves got the better of me. By the end of next week, I want to have lost the Christmas 4/5 lbs. Fingers crossed for me please.

Reactions: 10 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Managed to gain 7lbs between mid-November and the end of Deceomber, thanks to over-indulging on a dramatic scale... Low Carb and body composition training restarted yesterday. Fortunately, my body fat percentage is somewhat lower than the last time I was in this position, so progress should be easier!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I may have lost a pound or two.
Definately ate more, but the dogs got much longer walks too.

The bathroom scales are out of sight behind the door, and stay there for months at a time - prevents the headgames and goal-oriented nonsense that happens if I actally know the numbers too often. Tend to go by clothes fit and wobble factor.

Reactions: 9 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We had 3 nights in a hotel over Christmas so I didn't have the same choices or control over my meals as I would normally but stuck to LCHF as best I could and I did swim in the hotel pool each day.

I only weigh myself once a week now and was surprised to see I'd gained only half a pound.

Last edited by a moderator:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the 3 week gap between the last time I hopped on the scale, and Saturday when I lumbered onto it, I had gained 3llbs (don't do Kg's)

Doing a 24h fast today, so hopefully will kick start me back towards target which is now 1/2 a stone away :arghh:

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I weighed myself this morning for the first time since 19 Dec and I've shed 2 kg! :)

I did 16:8 intermittent fasting on most of the away days (at my MIL's), and although I overindulged in cheese, my food choices were still low carb. Only a few glasses of red and one of bubbly throughout the holiday period, yet I had a lovely time :)

kidneyalan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hardly any, in fact I lost about 3kg!! Mind you most of that was excess fluid which came off whilst on dialysis. Had a very good Xmas overall. Not supposed to indulge in alcoholic beverages due to a liver problem but did have 1 half glass of procssecco with Xmas dinner. Pancreas appearing to be working normally so far, fingers crossed.

Diagnosed 2002: T2 due to steriod medication after kidney transplant
Hba1c: 4.5
Cholesterol: 5
weight: 61.2kg (dry target weight)

P.S. No insulin used since Xmas Day!! Bm average 6.3 mmols since.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I put on 2lb. I plan to shift that in the next fortnight.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Weighed myself this morning and was 11st 12, so now only 1 pound higher than 2 weeks before Xmas.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Oh gawd, looking at all the successful Christmas weigh ins is making me feel guilty as hell!:arghh: I can't believe that I let things slip so much:(

shelts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I lapsed a bit. Couple of pounds on but with 4 and 1/2 stones lost in 2015, I'm not gonna worry too much. Back to the normal routine.

Reactions: 7 people

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh gawd, looking at all the successful Christmas weigh ins is making me feel guilty as hell!:arghh: I can't believe that I let things slip so much:(

ladybird - I'm concerned about the guilt! Guilt is such a self-punishing emotion - where does it get one?

I know that I can gain weight by just looking at carbs - this is true for many folk as they get older isn't it? To do with metabolism slowing down a bit? Especially we type two diabetics.

Can it be more helpful to see one's weight as on a spectrum and one goes along it at various times? And food festivals is one of those times when it will in all likelihood go to the weightier side? And then note that it will go over to the other less weightier side by cutting carbs, upping the exercise (if you have that kind of metabolism where exercise affects you that way - not all do by any means). No guilt! No self punishing!

But yes, for us with our well-being at stake - a call to action! And build such action (and the periods of feasting at festivals) into the general picture of one's life?