Oldvatr; sad news.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No easy way to say this… Mike recently passed away.

He had requested his daughter to let us know as part of his last wishes.

I’m personally gutted.

It just leave me to offer Mike’s family my heartfelt condolences..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is very sad news indeed.
He'll be missed a lot.

If you're in contact with his daughter again, please send her my/the forums (I don't think I'm speaking for myself only here) sincere condolences, and let her know how much he was appreciated around here.
Thank you for sharing the news, how very thoughtful of him to make sure we'd be informed.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh that’s such sad news, I had massive respect for him and he played such a big part of the forum, his presence will be greatly missed by all here I’m sure, like @Antje77 has said if you are in touch with his family please pass on my sincerest condolences.

R.I.P Mike

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Feeling very very sad. He played a huge part in the forum, providing scientific insight and references to all sorts of matters, an invaluable voice of reason.

I will miss his presence here enormously.

As others have said, if you speak to his family again, please let them know how much he was valued here and how much he will be missed.

RIP oldvatr.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He'll be missed a lot.

If you're in contact with his daughter again, please send her my/the forums (I don't think I'm speaking for myself only here) sincere condolences, and let her know how much he was appreciated around here.
Thank you for sharing the news, how very thoughtful of him to make sure we'd be informed.
She logged in then out of her father’s account. Gave the instructions. Out of protocol on the forum rules, I can’t say any more.
But Mike was vocal on his health issues on the forum.

I was initially pleasantly surprised at a contact from Oldvatr, then stunned at the content…

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
R.I.P mate.
I have always held greatest respects to his knowledge, intelligence and his research not only on diabetes but other healthcare issues.
This forum has lost someone who was helpful, considerate and articulate to posters in need of guidance.
A sad day indeed.
I offer condolences to his family. He was a good un'

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
She logged in then out of her father’s account. Gave the instructions. Out of protocol on the forum rules, I can’t say any more.
But Mike was vocal on his health issues on the forum.

I was initially pleasantly surprised at a contact from Oldvatr, then stunned at the content…
Must have been quite a shock to receive such a PM, I'm sorry.
What about reacting to it with a friendly message and adding a link to this thread, just in case she ever logs in again?

I know I would if it was my father, if just out of curiosity as to what he was doing and writing on some forum, although it could be many months before I'd get around to it.
But I think it would be nice for her to have a friendly message waiting just in case.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
He'll be missed a lot.

I couldn't agree more.