OMG how much????

Clairslloyd

Have just checked online to see how much it would be buy strips for the meter I have, cannot believe they are so dear. Hope my doc will let me have some on prescription or I won't be doing anymore testing!!!!! :cry:

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
they are very dear im afraid we get them on prescription but have noticed the price when we have been in boots i was shocked too, i dont understand how the companies can charge so much when the meters cost next to nothing. it wont be long b4 we are all limited to how many we can have with how the countries economy is going which will put many lives at risk. i think of the times we have tested and had a not enough blood or error message appear and that strip is wasted and how much that one strip costs makes it impossible for any but the rich to self fund im afraid

anna marie

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's not just the UK either, i've written before that here in France, that they actually started legislation to limit strips to one a day for everyone... it caused an outcry and they backed down within a week, but only for T1, they're still considering T2s (and here, if they are not prescribed we pay the full cost of the meters which is around 70E). In the US some insurance companies and medicare are also cutting back on paying for strips.
The trouble is that recent research ... however flawed, supports the idea that testing is not effective in T2 (there's actually not much to show its effective in T!)
Last month did see the publication of a very positive piece of research where patients and doctors were trained to act on results. It was sponsored by a test strip company , (well known lead researcher though).
Structured Self-Monitoring of Blood Glucose Significantly Reduces A1C Levels in Poorly Controlled, Noninsulin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes
You could print it off and show it to your doctor, telling him that you intend to use your results in a similar way ie to adapt your diet and exercise programme and not just to 'monitor' your levels.
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/34/2/262.short

Clairslloyd

Thank you phoenix, I will do just that. I only want to test regularly for a few months maybe and then I know what affects me - after that I will reduced to maybe 2 - 3 times a week :D

jaykay

I know it is never going to happen but I wonder what all these wonderful companies that give the meters away for free would do if we all went on testing strike!

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
GlucoRx meter £4 +p&p
GlucoRx 50 test strips £11.94 +p&p

Send them a vat form that price will be less vat and no vat on P&P

Just Google GlucoRx

I ordered one came pretty quick you get a few strips with the meter so you can try it for £4
It was that cheap so worth a try well to my surprise
its readings pretty well in line with my Accu-Chek Compact Plus
sent my one one on to my sister ,,same boat as you :? ,

or have a look on ebay i have seen Accu-Chek Compact strips go for £9 plus postage

Clairslloyd

bowell (sorry dont know your real name) have tried on ebay for both meters (both free) that I have and all are going for over #10 plus postage. Am on low income so cant afford to buy strips as well as food that is good for me :(

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Tell your GP that then you may just pull on his hart strings ?

Bob

"Lean on principles, one day they'll end up giving way"
Oscar Wilde

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
spideog said:
phoenix said:
there's actually not much to show its effective in T!
Really?
I think there's plenty of evidence that tight control is for most T1s the best strategy, what is lacking are trials to show that frequent testing leads to this.
I found a recent NHS document that was investigating the available evidence into SMG .. Though it quoted very recent trials for T2, and of course some of the recent ones were negative, it was still relying on evidence from urine testing for T1. (sorry, I would quote but I haven't time to look for it). I suspect there have been no recent trials... most people, thankfully assume that it is necessary and works, so most T1s haven't had the problems that people with T2 have. ... the trouble is when people charged with cutting costs look at it they may find no direct evidence.

edited for clarity and typos.

spideog

What alternative are they proposing to regular BG testing then in order to achieve tight control of your BG level?

I've tried the just guessing method and it doesn't work. But if there is something they are keeping from us about how to know our BG levels without finger pricking I'd be glad to know about it.

Unbeliever

The really disturbing thing is that all the recently qualified GPs are quoting the same mantra.
Why would you want to stick pins in yourself ? The HBA1C is al that is necessary? You will just make yourself depressed.
One young locum told me that he does several sessions at a hospital diabetic clinic and that patients' own BG readings told him nothing!
When I explained he just smiled condescendingly. I pointed out that when I was diagnosed -less than forur years ago everyone was routinely issued wirth a meter and required to use it . He was amazed.

jassi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
spideog said:
What alternative are they proposing to regular BG testing then in order to achieve tight control of your BG level?

I've tried the just guessing method and it doesn't work. But if there is something they are keeping from us about how to know our BG levels without finger pricking I'd be glad to know about it.

From my limited experience with Diabetic Nurses, they don't seem interested in whether one has good control or not - mine seemed quite afronted that I had got my glyc Hb down from 10 to 6 in 3 months with minimal input from them. There seems to be more interest in detecting and monitoring the side effects , rather than trying to prevent/ delay their onset.

I have come to the conclusion that one must take responsibilty for one's condition, rather than leaving it to the Practice, and if that means paying for strips to self-monitor, then so be it - it is my life and my health at stake.

benedict

Administrator
Thanks phoenix for the link.

Part of the STeP study that's funded by Roche -but don't let who it's funded by put us off too much. It's a better way of finding results than the DiGEM study as far as I'm concerned.
http://www.hta.ac.uk/fullmono/mon1315.pdf

The DiGEM study is the report I tend to blame for the restricting of test strips to people with type 2. It was the one that people interpreted as 'showing that self-testing for non-insulin using type 2s is not cost-effective' -which isn't a fair interpretation at all, I don't think.

For my own dissection of the study see:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blog/inde...ly-no-benefit-to-people-with-type-2-diabetes/

Clairslloyd

Thank you all for your input. Have now come to the conclusion that if I want what is best for me then I need to be in control so therefore have ordered strips and lancets from ebay.co.uk (monitors please delete if this is not allowed). Also have a really good friend who has given me some of theirs so will be ok until mine (hopefully) arrive :D I actually spoke to the "main" GP at my surgery and he said I should know if I had a high level :twisted:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Maybe you should ask the GP just how you should ' know' you are high ! Cards, palm reading maybe !

More important is if you go too low, how are you supposed to know that ! Many do not get clear cut symptoms for either high or low.

Clairslloyd

I have got an app with the DN next week so am going to take my food diary and the readings I have taken up to now. Just out of interest my BG has been 6.7 lately and I tend to feel overhung, is this normally - highest reading so far is 12.9. I am not on meds for this but am for high bp and cholesterol.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've just spoken to the friend of mine whose husband had a stroke the other day and was then diagnosed Type 2 - he hadn't been to the doctor for 10 years!

She said that the senior diabetic consultant at our local hospital had told her to check her husband's bg levels once a day, and to do it randomly - never at the same time 2 days running :shock:

Can anyone tell me the logic behind that? I assume there is a reason for it, but I find it beyond belief. What on earth is random testing, once daily, supposed to tell you? or him!

Viv :)

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The simple answer, Viv is cost and a lack of understanding on the importance of finding out how foods are affecting your blood sugar.They are taught a certain way on diabetes regimes and don't question them.