OMG I am shocked!

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had the good news that I'm pre-diabetic yesterday - so tonight I agreed with hubby to have a small doner kebab. I didn't have the pitta and ate 3/4 of the meat with half of the veg twigging half way through it had mint sauce on it so didn't finish it :-S The highest reading I've had since dieting over the past few weeks is 8.9 - and lowest is 6.1.

I just took my reading c. 1 hour after my kebab and it's 16.4. I did not see that coming.

I thought kebab was just meat and now i'm reading up on it I see they add flour sometimes :-( Lesson learnt.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just had the good news that I'm pre-diabetic yesterday - so tonight I agreed with hubby to have a small doner kebab. I didn't have the pitta and ate 3/4 of the meat with half of the veg twigging half way through it had mint sauce on it so didn't finish it :-S The highest reading I've had since dieting over the past few weeks is 8.9 - and lowest is 6.1.

I just took my reading c. 1 hour after my kebab and it's 16.4. I did not see that coming.

I thought kebab was just meat and now i'm reading up on it I see they add flour sometimes :-( Lesson learnt.

What were you at the 2 hour point? The 16.4 wasn't desirable, but the 2 hour point would be interesting too.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I don't think they put very much flour in it, certainly not enough to spike you like that. As important as low-carb eating is, I would be more worried about all the other ingredients and in particular, the way donner kebabs are heated/reheated. I'm pretty sure that in no diet whatsoever, donner kebab can be considered a 'health food'.

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry for the delay in coming back - I went out for a long walk to try and get it down and now I'm showing 6.3 - admittedly 1.5 hours later as I didn't realise I was out for quite so long :-S. Do you think I just had a really weird reading or is it possible to get such a swing 2.5 hours after??

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Sorry for the delay in coming back - I went out for a long walk to try and get it down and now I'm showing 6.3 - admittedly 1.5 hours later as I didn't realise I was out for quite so long :-S. Do you think I just had a really weird reading or is it possible to get such a swing 2.5 hours after??
Did you wash your hands before testing - quite a few times I've got very high readings, washed my hands and tried again and it was down to what I would have expected.

Reactions: Freema

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
actually no - I didn't - I wiped my greasy fingers off on a towel - chatted, played with my PC then decided to take my reading. mmm.... Do you think the readings seem out as well then? you could be right but I don't think I want to eat another kebab again to test in order to find out...as I got the shock of my life :-S

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The good news is that I picked a 'food' which maintained a high fat content. It all goes downhill after that point LOL.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I reckon that was a rogue reading.. happened to me recently was expecting something low and got 10.2.. retested and got 4.8.
Something on my finger I fear. Forgot to wash before testing..

Reactions: Freema and Liam1955

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks bulkbiker - I'm going to go with 16.4 was probably a rogue reading then ...if only because it makes me feel better!! Needn't have gone for that walk in the rain for an hour afterall then LOL. ;-) Thank you. Didn't realise not washing your hands could also give bad readings - just thought it was a 'germ' avoidance thing!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes stuff on your fingers can have an impact on the reading.. now go wash your hands!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sometimes the soaps you may use to wash your hands can have an impact too.

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well tried again and it's 7.3 with washed hands now so it has gone up from 50 mins ago.

20:00 ish kebab
20:58 16.4
------- walk for c. 1 hour
22:32 6.3
23:21 7.3
00:12 7.2
mmm...

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun and Freema

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes the soaps you may use to wash your hands can have an impact too.
That's good to know John, thank you. Do you remember any brands that you've used in the past which has impacted your results so I can avoid them?

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe, with all the fat in the kebab, your food is taking longer to be processed. I do hope this isn't the case for you, as you've had a big enough shock already :( However, if your BG is on the rise again, however slight, could be due to the fat content.
Just a thought ...
You're doing OK!!! :)

Reactions: ickihun and Freema

Snootybutnice

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe, with all the fat in the kebab, your food is taking longer to be processed. I do hope this isn't the case for you, as you've had a big enough shock already :( However, if your BG is on the rise again, however slight, could be due to the fat content.
Just a thought ...
You're doing OK!!! :)
Thanks Energize ...just added latest reading before bed and it's going back down but it was a bit of a shock. I feel tired, headachy and very thirsty still - does everyone still get this after eating?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Exercise can also make your blood sugar rise temporarily due to the liver dumping glucose in your system but exercise will also make it fall back down lower after than it would have without the exercise. High fat foods that are also carby also make the rise happen over a longer period of time. Tired, headachy and thirsty can be signs of high BG and carbs can leave you feeling hung over. I dont know if the 16 was a rogue reading or not but the other numbers are not too bad. You need to test before the meal because you need to know the rise. A number with no context has no real meaning in regards to what you ate.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ouch!

But that's why I'm always surprised when someone claims reversal based on a normal (or prediabetic) reading after eating a low carb diet. I consider that control - which will vanish with the reintroduction of carbs. Sorry you learned the hard way!