Omnipod and libre on rides

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I have phoned freestyle customer services, they were no help whatsoever! I am about to put a new libre on, but we are going to Alton towers on Monday! Do these rights with their magnetism affect the libre and it's workings?

Also, I asked this question about a year and a half ago, but we didn't get to go to Alton towers that time...

Omnipod and rides with magnetism? Am I able to go on rides with the pod on? Does it make it stop working.

To be honest I will be due a pod change anyway the next morning, so it it fails I can just change it! There just seems to be a bit of a grey area! And even he customer services don't know!!!

Thanks in advance!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I remember answering your thread last year :)

Regards to the Pods, very surprised that customers services couldn't answer your question, but there's a section in the back of the instruction manual that covers magnetism (just forget what it says), but if in doubt you could change the Pod on the day when your finished on the rides, tagging @himtoo into the thread as he is also a Omnipod user.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @Tweety88
sorry but I can't help on the magnetism issue -- this will be a big PITA -- but perhaps go on MDI for a couple of days surrounding this trip ( sorry **** idea I know )

Last edited:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some good you were @himtoo ;)

@Tweety88 , found the following from IPAG Scotland:

If going to an amusement park on holiday remember very powerful electromagnets are sometimes used on ‘free-fall’ rides. Insulin pumps should be removed and not taken on these ‘free-fall’ types of rides.

High gravity forces can be experienced when riding on some roller coasters. It is recommended that you disconnect (NOT suspend) the pump while on roller-coaster rides.

http://www.ipag.co.uk/travel-checklist-with-an-insulin-pump/

Maybe ask your Pump DSN for advice on the matter.

Reactions: himtoo

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you wear one in an MRI scanner? If I had to venture a guess I'd say no.

ScottyD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Took my Medtronic 640G to Alton Towers back in May. Went on all the rides no bother. I just unclipped it and put it in my zip pocket during the ride. No issues!

Oh and used my Freestyle Libre afterwards no bother. :)